breaking in a new glove

raindelay7

people usually have a lot of different opinions on this one, so i thought i would bring up topic.

My advice is first of all do not buy a glove that "does not have to be broken in" - it will never really feel like your glove. Also, go easy on the glove conditioner - add just two drops to lint free cloth and rub only in the pocket. Then rub with same cloth on outside of glove to protect from rain. Never use conditioner after that unless your glove sits in the closet for 3 years. Over conditioning your glove will turn your glove into a flappy pancake and will RUIN your glove!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well..this may be unconventional, but it definatly worked for me.

i rubbed and caked my glove in shaving cream, then put it in the oven for 30 minutes, then let cool, cleaned all the cream off and put a baseball in the pocket and rubber banded it really tight. Then i put it under the matress overnight. I did that 4 years ago and my 13' rawlings is ready to go every spring.

i rubbed and caked my glove in shaving cream, then put it in the oven for 30 minutes, then let cool, cleaned all the cream off and put a baseball in the pocket and rubber banded it really tight. Then i put it under the matress overnight. I did that 4 years ago and my 13' rawlings is ready to go every spring.

LOL i love it! hilarious and brilliant - i hope you teach your grandkids the same technique

What company do you think makes the best baseball mitts?

well i had a cooper (the hockey equip. manufacturer lol) firstbasemans mitt that i loved - not sure if they are even making baseball gloves anymore...

but to answer your question, i think the Rawlings pro "heart of the hide" gloves are without question the best gloves money can buy - well designed, durable and they look great too. Other manufacturers gloves feel better on hand when they are new, but in my experience no glove molds to your hand like a rawlings.

• 3 weeks later...

what temp. did you put the oven on?

Right now Demarini makes the best glove I own 2 of them. They break in nice from being Stiff at purchase. I use this stuff called " Hot Stuff " Its sold in any major sporting goods store. I wouldnt recomend shaving cream, because it doesnt have the necessary oils to protect the leather on a glove.

-Use the " Hot Stuff" 2 or 3 times. The directions will tell you the exact time and temp the oven should be.

- After you use the hot stuff rub glove oil or mink oil on the glove to keep the softness.

- you have to keep a ball ( should be a softball) in the pocket to keep and expand the pocket. But the only way to break in a glove properly is usage. Just keep using it ...

- oil the glove at the begining and the end of every season to keep the leather from drying out. You can use the same glove for many years ( my last glove last 15 yrs)if it is properly maintained. Try to restring the glove about every 3 yrs to keep the glove tight and the laces stronge.

Rawlings are still the best glove makers but you have to look at their high end line, dont pay anything less then $180 for a new glove. Heart of the Hide Gold glove series.

Here is the way to break in a glove. Take the brand new glove and submerge into a bucket full of room temp water, keep the glove in for about 1 1/2 minutes or until there are no more air bubbles. Remove the glove from the bucket and BEAT the heck out of it with a baseball bat, especially work the heel portion of the glove. Once you have tenderized it for a while most of the water will be gone but glove will be moist of course. You then place 2 baseballs in the pocket, vertical for outfield, horizontal for infield. Wrap some string/rope/rubberbands around it and also wrap it in a towel as well. 24 hours later repeat the beating, re wrap it and do the same thing the following day. Once glove is dry, start adding mink oil working it all over glove especailly the pocket, you can also use shaving cream, but the mink oil is prefered.

Ill admit ... Rawlings has always been a great glove . Every glove ive used has been a rawlings until resently. I was turn on to Demarini by a friend of mine who is a highschool baseball coach. I like it they are comfortable break in nicely . But ultimate it depends on what you like and what you comfortable with. Gloves can be broken in all different ways. Im enjoying reading what others do ... they all work ... keep it up ....

I'm gonna make it short and sweet. Rub a mixture of shaving cream, butter, WD40, and petroleum jelly all over it. Lube it up real nice! Then, put 2 balls in there, vertically for OF, horizontally for INF. Wrap it in the smallest rubber band that can fit, then wrap that in seran wrap. Ship it to Bam Margera, who will in turn put it under Vito's matress for him to sleep on. After one day, Bam ships it back, and you have a broken in, yet smelly (it was under Vito for an entire night) baseball glove. :D

god you guys try too hard...not to mention that stuffs not necesarrily good for the leather. Buy Nakona Glove Lube, best stuff out there. just lightly rub it in so that it just turns color and isnt in excess. then let it sit over night in its natural state and play catch with it and then about 3 days later do it again...afte bout 2 weeks its completely broken in.

as for best glove out there, without a doubt its Rawlings Pro Preferred. best leather you can buy. They cost about 245 but there definately worth it. I have an 11 1/2 inch pro preferred pitchers glove and the pro preffered first basemans mitt.

not to mention they come with the coolest keychain ever (just the leather of the glove with the emblem on a key chain)

heres a quick note...you dont want a floppy piece of leather, you want a sturdy but supple glove that hass a good pocket.

this is exactly what I did!!!!!!!!!

...back in the day.

yeh, i'm purchasing a new rawlings gold glove series glove with the "I" webbing. i'm just planning on going out and throwing around until i get it perfect. i know a lot of other kids my age who buy new gloves then do all this caking in glove stuff and it ends up being like a box and just folding up in the middle. thats not what i want. i am hoping to make it just how i want it.

rub a little shaving cream in the pocket, put a ball in the pocket and put it between your matress and box spring...or floor depending how you have your bed set up...and give it a few nights sleep like that...you'll get a nice pocket.

of course for second or short you don't want the pocket too deep.

and yes...nothing beats throwing the ball around...but in between throwing, doing stuff like this helps.

Archived