breaking in a new glove

raindelay7

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also bought a new baseball glove, so I Googled it:

1. First, buy a good glove. Certainly you're not going to want to spend oodles of money on a glove if your child's first season might be their last. Or if, as with anything, growth might force a quick castaway. But certainly, if you buy a cheap glove, that's what you'll get.

2. Lubricate the glove with foam shaving cream, the kind that contains lanolin. Take a very small amount, and put it on a soft, clean cloth. I usually use a dish towel. Rub the shaving cream into the glove, being careful to use just enough to lightly coat the glove. Make sure it is rubbed in well, and no globs remain.

3. Let the glove dry overnight.

4. Take another soft, clean cloth, and wipe the glove thoroughly. Go out and play a good game of catch with your child. The impact of the ball on the glove begins the process of molding and stretching the leather to conform to the hand and the ball with your child's catching style.

5. Take a ball, and place it in the glove, in the area where the ball will be caught. Many people recommend using a softball for this purpose. Take a rubber band and keep the glove tightly closed around the ball for a day or two. Make sure you keep the glove in an area without temperature extremes, as this can hurt the leather.

6. Take the glove out each day, and play catch with it for at least a few minutes. This regular workout will continue to soften the glove, and form the best possible individually fitted catching machine. Each night, when you put the glove away, continue to place a ball in the mitt and secure it. Continue this for at least 2 weeks.

I'll post a review after I'm done with this..

• 1 month later...

To answer an earlier question about what glove do i think is the best, if money is no option, Nakona. I have had one for over ten years and it is just as soft and works just as well as the day i bought it. If you gonna go economy i find it depends on the position and the size of your hand. I am a bigger guy and am not able to use smaller fielders gloves. This feels alot like when i have to buy shoes(size 14). I currently have a mazuno infielders glove, a nakona catchers mitt and first base mitt and an easton outfielders glove. All of which are broken in nicely.

The key to breaking in the glove is first if you do use oil make sure there is no silicone in the oil. Second is dont use oil. Nakona makes a paste that is applied using your hands and a massage technigue. I cant even begin to tell you how great this stuff is. Its 3 dollars a bottle and it last me two years a bottle for my gloves. I apply each year before the season starts and the glove is good for the year. The great thing about this stuff is that it not only helps condition the leather its weather pretectant and it cleans the glove. It brings all the dirt and what not that cause the leather to crack to the surfface and is very easy to use. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Well, first off, buy glove conditioner, and apply it on your glove once a day for about 2 weeks while your breaking it in. It'll make you glove last much longer and it'll make the glove stronger so it wont be floppy. Floppy gloves aren't good because if the ball hits the glove right, its an error or possibly a run or the game. I slammed the ball into the glove on my other hand for hours as well, and playing catch is the best way though. Practice senarios. have a friend throw ground balls to the left and right to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the glove. Thats what I did, and I was an awesome fielder.

I just toss with mine. I have a TPX glove that is like 170 that i got for 90 cause it was like a demo and the guy let me have it cheap. The glove is by far my most fav glove i've ever had. The demo and broshure(not spelled right) the guy gave us said applying oil to the glove would damage the leather. I've had the glove for three years and it hasn't started to dry out or crack at all. It is some special leather that TPX was testing out to see how their customers liked it.

cant be good to pass that through your gastric system.

i actually canceled my order and i'm going to check out some more gloves when i go to salt lake city tomorrow and enter the unknown world that is "dick's sporting goods" i doubt it can beat the NW favorite of "Joes" formerly "GI Joes"

i don't want to order, i want to test and buy in store dang it!!!

edit: hah, the censor caught my innocent company name push.

i think you all know what it is.

edit numero dos: heres the link for the glove i am pursuing now

easton ultra-lite

Amazingly, I got my glove at WalMart for $27. WallyWorld is awesome.

I gotta tell you - thru most of high school I played with a $120 glove (don't remember the model now - it got destroyed in a puddle).

Then, thru my extremely brief (about a month) college baseball career, and all of my "playing" since (catch, pick-up games, etc) has been done with like a $30 Target-glove.

...and I love that Target glove WAY MORE than the expensive one I had.

You really just have to find one that fits your hand well, gives you a "reach" your comfortable with, and go with it. In the end - the way it feels and what you can do with it is ALL that matters.

As far as breaking it in - I am a firm beleiver in just playing catch with it until it's ready.

i somewhat the frequent wal-mart, however there are certain things i never buy there. Baseball stuff has been iffy for me, i know a few people that have bought gloves from there, and they worked great for them. However their cheap .97cent mcgregor baseballs are horrible! 2 or 3 good hits and those things turn oblong and eggy. They do have nice $1.79 worth baseballs that have real leather and they dont break down.

hmm, before i end my rant, i must say that utah is flooded with super wal-marts.

The US is flodded with them pal, it's nothing to do with all the Mormans.

Yeah, those $.99 balls suck. Hell, I even tried a softball there (Because it was yellow and had a smiley face on it), and even that turned into an egg after one hit. But maybe I'm just one hell of a hitter, hmmmm.......

Archived