Common Questions....

Kccitystar

Being one of the founding fathers of this small forum, I would kindly ask for someone to sticky this.

1. Will (insert video card here) work for MVP Baseball?

As far as I know, any video card starting with the FX series of Geforce cards, as well as the 9600 will work fine on MVP, but for the optimal experience, I suggest moving on up to the 9800 PRO, which is relatively cheaper but gives you alot of bang.

I know there are a few of you that have the intergrated chipset from Intel, seeing as I guess you have bought your computer recently or this is one of your first PC games. I suggest you try and go out and purchase:

(thanks to eber for this)

Stupid

These cards tend to perform very very close to each other. Which is moronically fast.

Radeon X850XT PE

Radeon X800XT PE (Very slightly faster memory)

Geforce6800 Ultra Extreme

Exceptional

These cards will play any game of today or tomorrow with detail settings very high or maximum and at high resolutions.

These cards will not be cheap and neither will the Pentium4EE or Athlon64FX required to keep them fed.

Radeon X850 XT

Radeon X800 XT

Geforce 6800 Ultra

Radeon X800XL (Unavailable)

GeForce 6800GT

Great

You won't be complaining with one of these cards. In fact, you're unlikely to have a CPU capable of making them the weak spot.

Radeon X800 Pro

Geforce 6800

Radeon x700 XT

GeForce 6600GT

Radeon X800SE

Radeon x700 Pro

Radeon 9800XT

Radeon 9800 Pro (9800+)

GF FX 5950 (5900U+)

Radeon 9800

GF FX 5900U

Good

You won't be wanting an upgrade for a while with one of the following cards, but you probably won't be winning any [naughty word] contests either. This is roughly "mainstream" for our purposes. If buying new and to stick with the card for a while, this is the category you should be looking in.

Radeon 9700 Pro - 9700s core clocks tend to overclock very very well, but

Radeon 9700 - RAM tends not to overclock much.

GF FX 5900

GF FX 5900XT/SE (5900-)

Radeon 9800 SE

GF FX 5800 Ultra (5800+)

GF FX 5800 (4x2, 128 bit)

Radeon 9500Pro (8x1, 128bit)

Average

These cards won't win any awards, and won't really attract many buyers, but they are to be taken seriously. They'll run most games at respectable frame rates. If you can pick one up used, you won't regret it.

Radeon x700

GeForce 6600 (Beats the x700 in Doom3)

Radeon 9600XT (Pro+)

GF FX5700U (5700+)

Below Average

These are passable cards, but nobody is going to want one for gaming on.

Radeon 9800SE

Radeon 9600 Pro (9600+)

GF FX 5700

GF4 Ti4800/4600 (4400+)

GeForce 6200

Poor

These cards have simply been outclassed by too many cards to make them worth considering but they do have strengths and are servicable.

GF FX 5600U (Only consider the new version, which is much improved)

GF4 Ti4400/4800SE

Radeon 9500 (4x1, 128bit)

Radeon 9600 (4x1, 128 bit)

GF4 Ti4200/4200SE (4400-)

Awful

Not really worth considering unless it's for a very good price and you're not wanting to push the envelope anywhere. These cards should be considered as bare minimum monitor drivers and old-game players. You will be reducing settings for newer games. Note that the listed FX series cards here all do *much* better at DX7/8 games than they do at DX9 games, but are still inferior to the GF4 Ti series.

Do not buy new.

Radeon 8500

GF3 Ti500 (GF3+)

GF FX5600

Radeon 8500LE/9100 (8500-)

Radeon 9000 Pro (9000+)

GF3

GeForce4MX 460 (DX7 only)

Radeon 9000/9200

Radeon 8500 OEM ("LELE", 8500--)

GF3 Ti200 (GF3-)

GeForce4MX 440 (DX7 only)

GF FX5200U

Laughable

Now these are even worse than crap. They're an insult to the market.

GF FX5600XT/SE

Radeon 9600SE

Radeon 9200SE

GF FX5200 Be very careful with FX5200 cards. I have seen SDRAM based cards which are so painfully slow that an old GF2MX would make them look silly.

GeForce4MX 420 - I had a Voodoo3 which ran faster than this.

2. What driver works best for MVP?

Most times, the driver that a specific video card will provide not always provides the best performance. For ATI cards, check out the Catalyst driver packages. There are a few other driver packages which vary from the main one at ATI.com and those are the Omega sets and the DNA sets.

As for Nvidia, check Nvidia's main site, if not, your manufacturer's site for updated drivers.

3. Why do I experience choppiness on the field? What the heck is going on?

As far as the initial release version of MVP Baseball 2005, there has been choppiness, or stuttering, and this can be solved in many ways. One common method would be to buy more RAM, seeing as it is the cheapest way to upgrade your computer. A common amount would be about 512MB for most people.

Another common method is to enable VSYNC in the game. Vertical Sync, or VSYNC for short is used to synchronize the refresh rate of the monitor with the frames per second, meaning smoother gameplay. This can be done by going into:

Main Menu> My MVP> My MVP Options> Video Options, and clicking on the Vertical Sync option to ON.

Now, don't just start your game yet, go back to the desktop.

Click "Start", click Run, then type in "dxdiag", agree to all the prompts etc. Now, go into the "More Help" tab, and click on Override. Now input the Override value to "60", and click OK. Exit out of dxdiag and start up your game as usual.

Any other questions I'll probably try to answer them

In an effort to further answer this question:

Will (insert video card here) work for MVP Baseball?

Since MVP is an older game, cards at the "Poor" level should be OK in running MVP adequately. Any cards at the "Below Average" level should run it pretty well, and obviously cards at the "Average" level or above should run the game well:

(from http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/fo...1#621000873631)

NEW! IMPROVED! 7th May 2005 UPDATE!

If you play Doom3, then NV cards generally have a three or four position advantage. Same for pretty much anything else OpenGL.

If you play Half Life 2, then ATI cards generally have a thre or four position advantage.

Stupid

These cards tend to perform very very close to each other. Which is moronically fast.

Radeon X850XT PE

Radeon X800XT PE (Very slightly faster memory)

Geforce6800 Ultra Extreme

Exceptional

These cards will play any game of today or tomorrow with detail settings very high or maximum and at high resolutions.

These cards will not be cheap and neither will the Pentium4EE or Athlon64FX required to keep them fed.

Radeon X850 XT

Radeon X800 XT

Geforce 6800 Ultra

Radeon X800XL (Unavailable)

GeForce 6800GT

Great

You won't be complaining with one of these cards. In fact, you're unlikely to have a CPU capable of making them the weak spot.

Radeon X800 Pro

Geforce 6800

Radeon x700 XT

GeForce 6600GT

Radeon X800SE

Radeon x700 Pro

Radeon 9800XT

Radeon 9800 Pro (9800+)

GF FX 5950 (5900U+)

Radeon 9800

GF FX 5900U

Good

You won't be wanting an upgrade for a while with one of the following cards, but you probably won't be winning any pissing contests either. This is roughly "mainstream" for our purposes. If buying new and to stick with the card for a while, this is the category you should be looking in.

Radeon 9700 Pro - 9700s core clocks tend to overclock very very well, but

Radeon 9700 - RAM tends not to overclock much.

GF FX 5900

GF FX 5900XT/SE (5900-)

Radeon 9800 SE

GF FX 5800 Ultra (5800+)

GF FX 5800 (4x2, 128 bit)

Radeon 9500Pro (8x1, 128bit)

Average

These cards won't win any awards, and won't really attract many buyers, but they are to be taken seriously. They'll run most games at respectable frame rates. If you can pick one up used, you won't regret it.

Radeon x700

GeForce 6600 (Beats the x700 in Doom3)

Radeon 9600XT (Pro+)

GF FX5700U (5700+)

Below Average

These are passable cards, but nobody is going to want one for gaming on.

Radeon 9800SE

Radeon 9600 Pro (9600+)

GF FX 5700

GF4 Ti4800/4600 (4400+)

GeForce 6200

Poor

These cards have simply been outclassed by too many cards to make them worth considering but they do have strengths and are servicable.

GF FX 5600U (Only consider the new version, which is much improved)

GF4 Ti4400/4800SE

Radeon 9500 (4x1, 128bit)

Radeon 9600 (4x1, 128 bit)

GF4 Ti4200/4200SE (4400-)

Awful

Not really worth considering unless it's for a very good price and you're not wanting to push the envelope anywhere. These cards should be considered as bare minimum monitor drivers and old-game players. You will be reducing settings for newer games. Note that the listed FX series cards here all do *much* better at DX7/8 games than they do at DX9 games, but are still inferior to the GF4 Ti series.

Do not buy new.

Radeon 8500

GF3 Ti500 (GF3+)

GF FX5600

Radeon 8500LE/9100 (8500-)

Radeon 9000 Pro (9000+)

GF3

GeForce4MX 460 (DX7 only)

Radeon 9000/9200

Radeon 8500 OEM ("LELE", 8500--)

GF3 Ti200 (GF3-)

GeForce4MX 440 (DX7 only)

GF FX5200U

Laughable

Now these are even worse than crap. They're an insult to the market.

GF FX5600XT/SE

Radeon 9600SE

Radeon 9200SE

GF FX5200 Be very careful with FX5200 cards. I have seen SDRAM based cards which are so painfully slow that an old GF2MX would make them look silly.

GeForce4MX 420 - I had a Voodoo3 which ran faster than this.

Hey KCCityStar,

I just want to say thanks for sharing your knowledge. The "dxdiag" suggestion seemed to fix my suttering problems. I had just about given up, and then I came across this post. You're a good man for sharing what you know. Thanks again

I didn't see the GeForce FX5500 anywhere on that list, so I'll give my 2 cents to anyone thinking about buying it. I absolutely love the card; this is the only game I play on the computer, and the graphics look great; I can set everything on high without stuttering or crappy detail. Players look as real as they can be, and the field/stadium/backgrounds look crisp. I don;t know much about graphics cards, but I'd say you could place the 5500 around the Good area, maybe even great; it works that well for me. Plus, it only costs around $60.

I didn't see the GeForce FX5500 anywhere on that list, so I'll give my 2 cents to anyone thinking about buying it. I absolutely love the card; this is the only game I play on the computer, and the graphics look great; I can set everything on high without stuttering or crappy detail. Players look as real as they can be, and the field/stadium/backgrounds look crisp. I don;t know much about graphics cards, but I'd say you could place the 5500 around the Good area, maybe even great; it works that well for me. Plus, it only costs around $60.

the 5500 you have is it PCI or AGP? I saw that one today at CompUSA & it was round $100 which is still good if its as good as you say because i just wanna be able to have the high player models so my guys dont look messed up anymore.

I don;t know much about graphics cards, but I'd say you could place the 5500 around the Good area, maybe even great; it works that well for me. Plus, it only costs around $60.

Just to be consistent with the list, the FX5500 is probably under the "Awful" list and maybe under "Poor". It's really just a step above the FX5200. The caution with purchasing the FX5200 and FX5500 is that not all of those cards are built the same by the various manufacturers and so the results are mixed.

Again, MVP doesn't need the most powerful hardware, so cards listed under "Poor" and some under the upper tier of the "Awful" list should be able to run the game fine...the problems arise when you try to run other hardware hungry games.

the 5500 you have is it PCI or AGP? I saw that one today at CompUSA & it was round $100 which is still good if its as good as you say because i just wanna be able to have the high player models so my guys dont look messed up anymore.

If you can, I would highly recommend not spending the $100 on a FX5500. You'll get better value in something else. For $100 you could purchase cards under the "Average" category, most under "Good" and some under "Great" (albeit used or after rebates) from a place like newegg.com or eBay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

anyone have the X1600 pro 512mb?? just curious how good or not so good it is, with myself buying a new system.

Thanks

Good question. I'm not finding alot of PCI cards in the 9000 series, so it would be great to hear any opinions. :)

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Radeon X700 Pro last year when it was on sale at Best Buy, and got it for only $270, down from almost $460. Never had a problem since and I can run every game I have on max settings. Next up is to upgrade my RAM. Does anyone know how much it would cost to go from 512mb to 1gig?

I bought a Radeon X700 Pro last year when it was on sale at Best Buy, and got it for only $270, down from almost $460. Never had a problem since and I can run every game I have on max settings. Next up is to upgrade my RAM. Does anyone know how much it would cost to go from 512mb to 1gig?

Best Buy has good brands for RAM? I'd go for Crucial or Corsair memory myself; you can get those online. Their plain, no-frills RAM is a bit more expensive than the el cheapos you get from brick-and-mortars, but they're much more solid in quality.

Besides, you paid that much for a video card, why cheap-out on RAM that could crap on your computer?

You dont wanna buy rams and crucial parts for your computer from "Homer" companies like Best Buy/Future Shop. Im not sure where you live but go to a local computer shop they will have everything you will need and probably at much better prices.

i got a X1300 Pro 512mb .... But 512mb and 256mb really isnt much difference ... not like it being used by anygames it just a way for ATI to get more money out of us

I'm not saying I disagreeing with you, but if you play games with and higher resolutions and high levels of anti-aliasing a card with higher amounts of RAM usually performs better than cards without.

Now the reasons one could be dissatisfied with a X1300 Pro is because is basically a faster and DirectX 9.0c-ready version of the 9600 so depending on one's old card it isn't as dramatic an performance upgrade.

GEEK ALERT: Specs comparison of the X1300 Pro vs 9600XT

• 5 weeks later...

How ABout this Card:

ATI Radeon X1300 Hyper Memory 512MB DDR PCI-Expr. 16X Tv Out

PowerColor X1300

Part Number X1300 512MB

2nd Part Number 47108109 39433

Memory & Bus Width 512 MB DDR2 / 128bit

Core Speed 450 MHz

Memory Speed 250 MHz x 2

Output Dual DVI/ TV Out/ / / HDTV

Interface PCIE x16

Pixel Pipelines 4

Direct X Support 9.0

TV Connector S-Video

Model

Brand POWERCOLOR

Model 13 128/HM512MB

Interface

Interface PCI Express x16

Chipset

Chipset Manufacturer ATI

GPU Radeon X1300

Core clock 450MHz

PixelPipelines 4

Memory

Memory Clock 500MHz

Memory Size 512MB Hyper Memory(128MB on board)

Memory Interface 64-bit

Memory Type GDDR2

3D API

DirectX DirectX 9

OpenGL OpenGL 2.0

Ports

D-SUB 1

DVI 1

TV-Out S-Video Out

VIVO No

General

Tuner None

RAMDAC 400 MHz

Cooler Heatsink and Fan

Operating Systems Supported Windows 2000/XP

System Requirements PCI Express based PC is required with one x16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

512MB of System Memory

CD/DVD-ROM drive

Packaging

Package Contents AV Cable

Driver CD

The price is $100.00US,i wanna get to see the games graphics as close to the ones on the xbox as possible!!! which ones do you guys recommend?

www.tigerdirect.com With rebates their RAM is usually pretty cheap. That's where I bought mine from.

How ABout this Card:

ATI Radeon X1300 Hyper Memory 512MB DDR PCI-Expr. 16X Tv Out

PowerColor X1300

Part Number X1300 512MB

2nd Part Number 47108109 39433

Memory & Bus Width 512 MB DDR2 / 128bit

Core Speed 450 MHz

Memory Speed 250 MHz x 2

Output Dual DVI/ TV Out/ / / HDTV

Interface PCIE x16

Pixel Pipelines 4

Direct X Support 9.0

TV Connector S-Video

Model

Brand POWERCOLOR

Model 13 128/HM512MB

Interface

Interface PCI Express x16

Chipset

Chipset Manufacturer ATI

GPU Radeon X1300

Core clock 450MHz

PixelPipelines 4

Memory

Memory Clock 500MHz

Memory Size 512MB Hyper Memory(128MB on board)

Memory Interface 64-bit

Memory Type GDDR2

3D API

DirectX DirectX 9

OpenGL OpenGL 2.0

Ports

D-SUB 1

DVI 1

TV-Out S-Video Out

VIVO No

General

Tuner None

RAMDAC 400 MHz

Cooler Heatsink and Fan

Operating Systems Supported Windows 2000/XP

System Requirements PCI Express based PC is required with one x16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

512MB of System Memory

CD/DVD-ROM drive

Packaging

Package Contents AV Cable

Driver CD

The price is $100.00US,i wanna get to see the games graphics as close to the ones on the xbox as possible!!! which ones do you guys recommend?

Then don't get that card. It is average.

Look at the first post where KC listed cards to get and try to get something in the top two brackets he listed.

Archived