2006 Florida Marlins: There's Something Fishy Going On...

kgbaseball

This will be my Florida Marlins dynasty page. Hopefully I can keep you guys updated on what's going on and I don't get bored or annoyed with making big long posts about every single thing that happens. We shall see...

Anyways, I'll post a fair share of screens and try to keep it as interesting as possible. I'm going to post screens of my MVPSavReader program so you can stay updated on stats and such throughout the season.

Hope you like it!

Marlins acquire Roberson, Coste

A couple of preseason trades were in the works today involving the revamped Florida Marlins. Scranton/Wilkes Barre centerfielder Chris Roberson, the odd man out in a plethora of young Phillies outfield prospects, along with catcher/utilityman Chris Coste were acquired today for Marlins AA pitching prospect Logan Kensing. The deal was made for several reasons, the major one being that Roberson is a speedster, a solid young guy to come off the bench. Coste can fill in at almost any position on the diamond.

393508.jpgcostephilly.jpg

The other deal made by Marlins owner Jeff Loria was acquiring Seattle farmhands P George Sherrill and CF Jamal Strong. "We got a solid lefty to come out of the bullpen, and also got Jamal Strong in the deal. Strong's never really gotten a chance anywhere he's been, so we decided to bring him in here and see what he can do. He's blazing fast; we look for both of these guys to possibly make an impact on the Major League club this season." The Marlins traded away RP Nate Bump and CF Mark Little in the deal.

ph_425473.jpgph_430941.jpg

Preseason Wrapup

The Marlins 25 man roster was announced on Saturday.

25man9qh.jpg

Joe Girardi on his 2006 team: "Obviously we're young, but we're also hungry. This team wants to win, and they want to prove to all the nay-sayers that this should be a team to contend with."

Miguel Cabrera, coming off a spring where he hit .324 with 3 homeruns and had 10 RBIs, on what he thinks of the 2006 Marlins: "This team has a ton of talent. I remember when I was one of these young guys in 2003 when we won the World Series. We aren;t expected to do anything this year, but we are going to take it one game at a time, and we'll see what happens."

Reggie Abercrombie, on becoming the team's starting centerfielder: "I had an awesome spring, and I'm excited to get a chance here in Florida. I know I've got the skills to be a good player in the Majors, and I can't wait to get started with the season."

Here is the 2006 Marlins starting rotation and lineup.

rotation9yn.jpg

With a ton of good, young arms available in the majors and on the farm, the Marlins look for their pitching to be one of their strongest assets. Although only Willis and Moehler have extended time in the big leagues, the young guns aren't too worried about not having a lot of experience.

lineups0tk.jpg

As with the pitching staff, the Marlins' lineup is filled with youth. With 6 rookies starting, it will be interesting to see how they do against Major league pitching on a daily basis.

Let the games begin!

Marlins are lookin great this year! They might make the playoffs this year. The mets are lookin tough though. You got Beltran stealing, Lo Duca pulling plays out his butt, and a new stadium coming. I hope the Marlins get a new stadium. I have passed by so many epty lots lately that are definitely big enough for a stadium. At South County Reigonal Park in Boca there is alot of empty lots. I think they want to stay in Dade County though.

Marlins.jpg

Marlins Win Despite Late Rally by Stros

April 4th, 2006

Thanks to the early offense of Miguel Cabrera and early struggles of Andy Pettitte, the Marlins eeked out a 4-3 win over the Astros.

field1hd.jpg

A beautiful 80 degree night in Smog City.

The Marlins offense got going early with a leadoff bunt basehit for Hanley Ramirez. Then Pettitte couldn;t find the plate. He walked Jeremy Hermida, got Cabrera to pop up to Brad Ausmus, and then walked Jason Stokes to load the bases with one out. Starting catcher Josh Willingham flied out to Preston Wilson in left, but not deep enough to score a run. Pettitte was almost out of trouble, but not quite. He walked the next hitter, Wes Helms, and the Marlins struck first, scoring with only one hit that didn;t even make it out of the infield.

The Marlins were looking for more as the top of the 2nd came. Chris Roberson, the newly acquired outfielder, hit a sharp linedrive single to center; the next man, Ramirez, was walked, and then Hermida followed with a solid hit to right. Bases were loaded again. How would Pettitte get out of this jam? Bases loaded, one out. Pettitte K'd Cabrera on 3 straight cutters. Stokes was up next, and hit a swinging bunt. I'll let this picture do the talking:

barehand2li.jpg

Morgan Ensberg shows off his strong arm and also saves a run in the top half of the 2nd with this barehand play.

With the score still 1-0, Marlins starting pitcher Sergio Mitre was cruising along. During the top of the 4th, the Marlins were at it again. Rookie second baseman Dan Uggla hit a flare to left field, followed by a walk to Roberson. Hanley Ramirez sacrificed them over; 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Hermida hit a moonshot to the warning track, just short of a homerun. Uggla tagged up, making it 2-0. Cabrera stepped up, and received a gift from Pettitte. 417 feet later, the score was 4-0.

steal2fl.jpg

Reggie Abercrombie thrown out trying to steal second base during the 5th inning.

The Astros' bats finally woke up in the bottom half of inning number 6, with back-t-o-back hits by Craig Biggio and Willy Taveras. Lance Berkman was up next, and rocketed a line drive base hit to center, scoring 2. 4-2 Marlins.

The score stayed the same until the bottom of the 9th inning, when rookie closer Travis Bowyer tried to shut down the Astros for the Marlins victory. Preston Wilson led off the 9th with a single, followed by a bunt by Mike Lamb to move him to 2nd. Orlando Palmeiro pinch hit for Ausmus, and blooped a single to right center, scoring Wilson. 4-3. With 2 outs in the inning, it was up to Adam Everett. He bounced out to Uggla to end the game.

Final Score:

finalbox1ba.jpg

Next up: Game 3 versus the Astros

Marlins.jpg

Game 3: Florida Marlins at Houston Astros

Ensberg's 2 RBIs help Stros Squeak past Fish

On Retro Night in Houston, solid pitching got the job done. Today's matchup featured Florida's southpaw Jason Vargas (0-0) and Houston's Brandon Backe (0-0).

backe4ri.jpg

Brandon Backe completes his warmup tosses while Craig Biggio seems to be getting his groove on/doing the robot in the background.

The Marlins opened up the scoring in the top half of the 1st, when Marlins rookie superprospect Jeremy Hermida smacked a single to right field. Next up was Miguel Cabrera, and that ball hasn't landed yet. 2-0 Fish.

hermida4zd.jpgmiguelhr6cj.jpg

Hermida smacks a single to right; 3B Miguel Cabrera absolutely annihilates the ball out of Minute Maid Park.

The Astros came right back in the bottom half of the 1st, when Morgan Ensberg answered Cabrera's homerun with one of his own. 2-1 Marlins.

After going 1,2,3 in the top of inning number 2, the Astros were at it again in the bottom half. Eric Bruntlett led off with a solid hit to right center. Biggio sacrificed him to second, and there's that man again; Ensberg slapped a base hit up the middle for an RBI single. 2-2.

The game remained deadlocked until the bottom of the 6th, when newly acquired Astro Preston Wilson hammered a homerun to deep left, putting Houston up 3-2.

That would be all Brad Lidge needed. Coming in to close it out in the 9th, Lidge got Josh Willingham, Miguel Olivo, and Reggie Abercrombie 1,2,3 to end the game.

lidge9qc.jpgcelebrate0pz.jpg

Brad Lidge and teammates celebrate after their 3-2 victory over the Florida Marlins

Final Score:

finalscore4fw.jpg

Next up: 3 game set in New York.

Game 4: Florida Marlins @ New York Metropolitans

Stellar Pitching Performances by Both Starters; Fish Come Up Just Short

It was a classic pitcher's duel for most of the night at Shea Stadium. Steve Trachsel for the Mets and Brian Moehler for the Marlins were in total control of the hitters all night long.

The Mets scored first in the bottom of the 4th, on a double to left center by Carlos Delgado, who was traded to the Mets from Florida during the offseason. The double scored Carlos Beltran; 1-0 Mets.

Trachsel shut down the young Marlins lineup until the top of the 6th, when he loaded the bases with 3 consecutive walks after getting Hanley Ramirez and Jeremy Hermida to ground out. No runs were scored for the Fish, as Miguel Olivo popped out to catcher Paul Lo Duca to end the threat.

The Mets played some smallball during the bottom half of the same inning. Starting second baseman Anderson Hernandez lined a single to left, followed by a fielder's choice by leadoff man Jose Reyes. Lo Duca was up next, and grounded out to 1B Mike Jacobs, sending Hernandez to 3rd. Beltran then smacked a single to right, putting the Mets up 2-0.

That would be all Trachsel needed. He struck out Eric Reed for the third time in the 7th, giving him the hat trick. Trachsel was pulled after the 7th inning for newly acquired Duaner Sanchez. Hanley Ramirez singled to center, and in came new pitcher Aaron Heilman. Ramirez swiped second, Jeremy Hermida grounded out to first, sending Ramirez to third, who then scored on a Miguel Cabrera sacrifice fly. 2-1 Mets.

On came Billy Wagner in the 9th, and 1,2,3 went the Fish. With Wagner's dominating 98mph fastball and knee buckling slider, the Marlins had no chance.

A couple of side notes: Reggie Abercrombie went 0-4, lowering his batting average to .133 after an incredibly hot spring. The Marlins now stand at 2-2. Dontrelle Willis will be on the mound next against Mets ace Pedro Martinez. Stay tuned for the recap, definitely with screenshots.

Final Score:

score4re.jpg

final0wk.jpg

Next up: Game 2 against the Mets.

Archived