Gamepads?

I'm assuming most all of you play MVP with a gamepad, and mine (a gravis eliminator) has been giving me all kinds of problems. The right stick, which controls dives and sliding, randomly inputs and makes my fielders dive all over the place when I'm trying to catch a ball. Which is annoying, to say the least.

Any suggestions on what to get for my next one, if I'm not a big fan of the PS controller?

The 360 controller uses a generic driver that comes built into XP, so nothing else is required. I'm not sure about Windows 2000, would probably have to download a driver somewhere.

I'm also with Jim, I use a Saitek P880, it's a fine controller and relatively inexpensive if you can find one.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

Anybody use anything by Logitech?

I like my Logitech Rumblepad 2. I had a Logitech Dual Action gamepad, but it kept losing calibration, which was a very common problem with that gamepad. Which is probably what snepp is referring to.

I haven't had any problems with the Logitech Rumblepad 2 though.

I had a Saitek P880 also. It worked great, but I like the layout of the logitech controllers better.

Yes, the calibration issue the primary reason why I said to not use the Logitechs. I also find them to be cheaply made.

The button layout is better on them though, and that is the biggest drawback to the Saitek.

I know Logitech has a horrid history, one that I am all too familiar with. And because of this history I do not support them. The OP asked for controller opinions and I gave mine.

You disagree, fine, but don't you dare tell me what I know and what to avoid.

Logitech doesnt have a horrid history. So you had one bad experience and you jump to conclusions. Show some emotional maturity. You may have had issue with a product from them in the past, but the appropriate answer would be to address the current product line.

I currently have three Logitech products that all work great, to back up my point of view. They are the Rumblepad 2, MOMO wheel, and their cordless laser mouse.

Excuse me if I sound very direct, but I have a pet peave with people putting out misinformation based on outdated experiences.

I'll repeat myself, to be sure there is no misunderstanding.

I have a very low opinion of Logitech controllers (not once did I mention the rest of their product line). They had their chance, they burned me, along with thousands of others, and I no longer support them (again, their controllers). The OP asked for opinions on controllers, and I gave the opinions that I have. Whether you or anyone else agrees with these opinions is irrelevant. In the end the OP can take the various opinions, research the options that are available, and make an informed decision.

I will not address your personal attacks, if you find me to be too emotionally immature for your liking, send me a PM and we'll discuss it.

Back on topic, I still recommend the Xbox 360 controller as the best option, budget willing.

Thanks again, guys. I'm kinda leaning towards the 360, provided I can leverage the funds, but the Saitek sounds pretty good, too. The Gravis I have sucks, but is the current incarnation (of Gravis) any good? Sorry to pose so many questions, but I'm sick of getting [naughty word] PC controllers, and I want something worth the money, even if it costs a little extra.

Here's something else to keep in mind, the cost of shipping.

I don't know what type of shops you've got available in your area, but a 360 controller might be the only one that you could purchase locally. A quick shopping search for the Saitek P2500 came up with roughly a $25 purchase price + the shipping cost, putting it over $30. A locally purchased 360 would cost you the $40 + tax.

Just something else to chew on.

I've had one since its release, and I've had no problems with it yet.

you're lucky then i guess. it's been talked about many times on this site since the site was started. consider yourself the 1 in 10 dual action owners that got lucky. and i think almost all of us have had one since EA forced us to switch gamepads a few years ago.

• 4 months later...

I use my 360 controller on my pc to play mvp, and with the controller.cfg file that kraw has, it works great. and it's usb so it will just plug straight into your pc. something to keep in mind though, if you can wait and have the $$$$ is that microsoft is coming out with an adapter for the pc that will let you use the 360 wireless controller with your pc. that way you have no wires going everywhere with the controller.

Archived