Another question for roster makers

Jim825

Now that I understand how the Lahman database works, I'm thinking about creating a 1998 New York Yankees roster. For those that have done a more "recent" roster, I have a question for you.

When I import the '98 Yankees team from the Lahman database, many of the players on that team are still playing (either on the Yankees or on other teams) and they are in MVP2004. I'm assuming that to be historically accurate, I should use the '98 Lahman values for those players, rather than overwrite them with the values that are in MVP2004. Does that make sense? What have others done in this situation?

Also, where can I find jersey number information for players, since Lahman doesn't seem to store this information (or at least it's not pulled into MVPEdit)? I've poked around on the web (retrosheet.org, baseball-reference.com, baseball-almanac.com, yankees.com), and while I can find stats for players, I can't seem to find jersey numbers. Any pointers on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

- Jim

Now that I understand how the Lahman database works, I'm thinking about creating a 1998 New York Yankees roster. For those that have done a more "recent" roster, I have a question for you.

When I import the '98 Yankees team from the Lahman database, many of the players on that team are still playing (either on the Yankees or on other teams) and they are in MVP2004. I'm assuming that to be historically accurate, I should use the '98 Lahman values for those players, rather than overwrite them with the values that are in MVP2004. Does that make sense? What have others done in this situation?

Also, where can I find jersey number information for players, since Lahman doesn't seem to store this information (or at least it's not pulled into MVPEdit)? I've poked around on the web (retrosheet.org, baseball-reference.com, baseball-almanac.com, yankees.com), and while I can find stats for players, I can't seem to find jersey numbers. Any pointers on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

- Jim

You'll want to use the stats generated for the 98 season for sure to fairly represent that teams/player performance.

As far as jersey numbers:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/...=1998&t=NYA

C

Cool. Thanks! While I've got you, here's another question: Looking at the pitcher attributes, I've noticed that the pitch types that Lahman lists for some of the pitchers (e.g. Andy Pettitte, David Wells, Orlando Hernandez) are different than the pitch types listed in some of the current MVP2004 rosters I've seen (e.g. those listed in TotalMinors v3). How accurate is Lahman when it comes to pitch types?

Thanks.

Cool. Thanks! While I've got you, here's another question: Looking at the pitcher attributes, I've noticed that the pitch types that Lahman lists for some of the pitchers (e.g. Andy Pettitte, David Wells, Orlando Hernandez) are different than the pitch types listed in some of the current MVP2004 rosters I've seen (e.g. those listed in TotalMinors v3). How accurate is Lahman when it comes to pitch types?

Thanks.

To be honest, I am not sure if that is held in the Lahman db or if it is a product of some extra programming work done by Robert Glass for his MVPEDIT program to just put random information in there. I think this is the case, but do not want to say for sure. He and another modder, Stecropper I believe, came up with formulas to calculate some of the data including ratings.

C

I'm working on just a met file (I know nothing about portraits or logos). I was going to see if anyone would be willing to help with portraits and logos. Yankees763 and I were swapping e-mail over the weekend about the '78 Red Sox package and he said that if I ever decided to work on a package that he'd be willing to help with logos.

To be honest, I am not sure if that is held in the Lahman db or if it is a product of some extra programming work done by Robert Glass for his MVPEDIT program to just put random information in there. I think this is the case, but do not want to say for sure. He and another modder, Stecropper I believe, came up with formulas to calculate some of the data including ratings.

C

I just "spoke" to Robert, and asked him about this as well as whether his attributes or those in other rosters are more accurate. Here's what he had to say:

First Pitch = Fastball

Second Pitch = Curveball

Third Pitch = Random

Fourth Pitch = Random

Attributes are determined based off of statistics from that year. I can't really say which one is more accurate - I assume this would be a judgement call.

Archived