MLB Retired Numbers

MadHatter

Hi all... just thought I'd throw this out there.

Sometimes when I'm editing rosters in MVP, I try to stay pretty realistic. For instance, I don't want any other #8 or #9's playing on the Red Sox because those uniforms have been retired (Yaz & Teddy Ballgame respectively).

Here's a list of all uniform #'s retired by MLB for your reference:

http://www.all-baseball.com/ref/retired.html

Houston needs to retire #50 in honor of J.R. Richard. Soon, they need to add #5 and #7 to that.

Do you think the lessening of players playing a majority of their careers in one place will reduce the number of...numbers being retired?

--Eric

• 2 months later...

Milwaukee retired Hank's number because he was a Milwaukee player for a great part of his career 12 years with the Milwaukee Braves, and then his final 2 with the Brewers. Also could a Yankee fan clue me in to why Mariano Rivera is allowed to wear 42 when that number is retired league-wide.

Milwaukee retired Hank's number because he was a Milwaukee player for a great part of his career 12 years with the Milwaukee Braves, and then his final 2 with the Brewers. Also could a Yankee fan clue me in to why Mariano Rivera is allowed to wear 42 when that number is retired league-wide.

My god I just noticed that. I never thought of it, yeah why is he?

quote from Wiki

His uniform number is 42, which has been retired by all Major League Baseball teams since 1997 in honor of Jackie Robinson. However, Rivera is permitted to use the number due to a grandfather clause allowing active players to retain it if they'd worn #42 before the number's retirement. As the only active player remaining in MLB to wear #42, Rivera will be the last Major League player to ever wear the number.

most likely because he entered the majors in 1995 and the #42 is retired in 1997. from what i've read on the hall of fame site, every current player who used that number before it was retired can use it as long as he plays but any new player cannot wear it.

from that same page, in the FAQ:

Q. If #42 is retired on all teams, why are some players still wearing it?

A. Players who were wearing #42 when MLB retired it had the option of being "grandfathered in" and continuing to wear it. Some did, some didn't. Some players had originally chosen #42 in order to honor Robinson, so they continued to wear his number. Mariano Rivera of Yankees is the only player still wearing #42.

Texas Rangers outfielder Mark Sagmoen had been called up to the majors and assigned #42 just days before MLB made its announcement that the number was to be retired.

When number 42 was retired for Jackie Robinson in 1997, players who were wearing the digit at that time were given grandfathered protection, allowing those players to continue using the number for as long as they wished, or for the duration of their time with their team (or their careers).

Mo Vaughn (Red Sox) and Jose Lima (Astros, I think) are just two other MLB guys active in '97 wearing No. 42 that I can think of right now. Mo kept 42 when he went to the Angels, and later wore it with the Mets (he's the last Met to wear the number). Lima's bounced around so much in the past decade, I can't remember where/when he last wore 42. Of course, Mo Rivera has worn it his whole career, and he's the last player active from that '97 group still doing so. When he quits, 42 is headed for the Retired Numbers section, where it will serve as a reminder of TWO great players.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived