installing portraits with the installer thingy

Sandlot

I made an AJ Burnett portrait using kraw's tutorial from total-classics.com and when I finished, I went and installed his installer thingy.

Once I opened it, it created the portrait file and I copied my two Burnett BMP files over. Named burnett.bmp and burnett-a.bmp (alpha file) I pressed enter like it told me on the installer thingy menu and it went to work.

I opened my game and like I thought would happen, the Burnett picture I had done did not get added into the game.

I think it has to do with the rosters and assigning portrait #'s, but I don't know how to do that... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

Extract the existing Burnett portrait and unpack it with nfshtool, and then copy over the two files (0000.bmp,0000-a.bmp), copy them along with the index.dat file into the directory you extracted the original portrait to, and then drag the index.dat file onto nfshtool, which will repack the fsh file with your bmps you made.

Then start up the installer thingy and copy the new fsh file into the created directory and install.

if you made two bmps of burnett, why not just install it through mvpedit? just find him on the roster and left click his picture. then select "New Picture" and add your custom made one. then repeat it for the alpha.

otherwise, if you want to create an fsh file with them, then you can use EAgraph to extract any existing portrait fsh, then use FshEd to add the new picture and save it to whatever fsh number you wish. at which point, you will also need to us nfshtool to edit the index file. this what i was told about doing that part:

the index file that is created when you use FHSEd contains the following (you can edit it with notepad or wordpad):

NFSHTool generated file -- be very careful when editing

E:NeilDesktop0486.fsh

FSH

SHPI 1 objects, tag G357

BUFSZ 262736

NOGLOBPAL

!PAD 8 4275792045525453

0486 0000.BMP

BMP 7D +2 128 128 {0 0 0 0}

alpha 0000-a.BMP

ETXT 69 64 16 {0 0 0 0}

EAGL64%20metal%20bin%20attachment%20for%20runtime%20texture%20management%00%00%00%00%00%00

ETXT 70 0486%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00

#END

make sure to change the bold numbers to the portrait number you want. also, if you did a 2x picture, change the bold 128 128 to 256 256.

Does that all sound about right? i'm no expert on this stuff, but from what i have learned from people here, i've been doing it that way with no problems.

I tried extracting the Burnett photo through EAGRAPH and it said 'Read beyond end of file' and it doesn't allow me to extract... I tried adding it through mvpedit and I don't think it worked. Do I have to delete the fsh first before putting my picture in it? <-- this doesen't work with me either, the gfxpack error keeps getting in my way and allows me to do nothing, but load aj's pic with the top right of the pic disappeared.

Maybe someone can do a tutorial on how to install your bmp portraits once you make a portrait.

Extract the existing Burnett portrait and unpack it with nfshtool, and then copy over the two files (0000.bmp,0000-a.bmp), copy them along with the index.dat file into the directory you extracted the original portrait to, and then drag the index.dat file onto nfshtool, which will repack the fsh file with your bmps you made.

Then start up the installer thingy and copy the new fsh file into the created directory and install.

This makes no sense to me, I've never used nfshtool and I don't know how to unpack with it?.... I just need an easy 1,2,3 step solution.

Holy mother of god, if you have ever seen any fsh files, even in a program like EA Graph, I think its very clear that the fsh files hold the bmps inside it, like a zip file.

To "unpack" the fsh file, extract the existing Burnett portrait from portrait.big using bigGui, and then drag the .fsh file onto nfshtool. That will "unpack" it. It will create a new folder named with the number of Burnett. Open the folder, and voila ! There are bmp files inside!!! Then copy over these with the ones you made, keep the file names the same as the ones that were there already (0000.mbp, 0000-a.bmp), then copy those two files and the index.dat file and paste them in the same folder that you extracted the fsh file originally, and then drag the index.dat file onto the nfshtool, and it will "repack" the fsh file. Then use kraw's installer thingy to put them in the game.

There is no index.fsh file, it is a .dat file. Basically it just holds the information about what the file is used for. It holds the players id number, the size of the portrait and the format of the pictures.

For it to work you need to have it in the same folder as the two bmp files, the nfshtool, and its usually the same directory you have the folder that was created originally when you unpacked the fsh file.

Also make sure you aren't dragging all three files (the dat and the two bmps) onto the nfshtool. Usually when you paste them there all three are selected, so click off somewhere and make suer only the index.dat file is being selected.

Archived