Workplace problem

xiberger

Guys, I really need your help! I can't connect to mvpmods.com from my workplace anymore. Everytime I try, I'm getting a "Server not found" message. All the other pages are working fine, so I'm pretty clueless...

Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem?

btw, I came across this link which brings me to our beloved site, but I can't log in. I can read the forums, but that's basically it.

i have no idea where you work, who you work for or how big of a company it is. but,maybe the IT dept put a filter on the server blocking you from the site's log in page?

That's what I was thinking. Ask your supervisor/boss/stereotypical lazy and ignorant I.T. tech if there is any firewall or filtering software that blocks access to certain sites. Also, try checking out the HOSTS file, located at, if I remember correctly, C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc. You can open it as a text file in Notepad.

they probably blocked him to increase productivity. it's pretty common if they feel it's interfering or if they just want to. they're always watching... hope you don't get too many personal emails either.

they probably blocked him to increase productivity. it's pretty common if they feel it's interfering or if they just want to. they're always watching...

I don't think that's a problem. You see, I'm working for the biggest NGO in Austria, so everybody's really laid back there. Besides, I'm not a real employee, it's more a summer job.

They actually do have a filter installed, but that's not related to my problem. If the filter jumps in, it propmts a blue warning screen, stating the reason why the site is locked. In my case, however, there's no such screen. Just the regular "Server not found" message.

Anyway, I'll talk to one of the IT guys tomorrow. Maybe he knows how to fix this. I really don't understand it. Everything worked perfectly when I was with that NGO in the month of may. Well, let's hope for the best.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

D'oh! Not even the IT guy could find the source of the problem. He tried to convince me that the server of mvpmods was down, when in fact it wasn't. I showed him the most recent forum posts, using the other link I mentioned above. Well, at least I can still read what others are posting.

D'oh! Not even the IT guy could find the source of the problem. He tried to convince me that the server of mvpmods was down, when in fact it wasn't. I showed him the most recent forum posts, using the other link I mentioned above. Well, at least I can still read what others are posting.
now we can talk bad about xiberger behind his back.

that's really strange. unless the IT guy is playing dumb. i don't think i've come across that problem before. the reason i mentioned and just assumed a filter was because, generally if i were to set up one you would get the no server found message. most times if a site is being blocked by an IT dept. they don't give you the courtesy of a blue screen to let you know what's up and why you can't reach the destination site- at least i don't. but, sometimes you can get around them by say googling the site and using the google link as a back door. but, most users would be too lazy to even think of that method.

i'm assuming you're trying different browsers? i guess if not i would try a different browser. and i would also assume you have cookies, SSL settings etc. enabled in the browser?

let us know when they figure out the issue.

now we can talk bad about xiberger behind his back.

I demand a new thread for that, titled "Stick it to xiberger". 8)

i'm assuming you're trying different browsers? i guess if not i would try a different browser. and i would also assume you have cookies, SSL settings etc. enabled in the browser?

Yes, everything is enabled. As I mentioned before, it worked without any problems when I was there the other month. And now the IT guy tells me that he can't find the page, not even by direct IP-IP connection. Weird...

I wanted to try other browsers, but I'm not sure if the system would let me install them. I'll check next week. Thanks for the hint!

Archived