Odd answer that I need

ronmexico

Is this a balk...I know all the balk rules, but this one is an oddity to me, and I plan to use this for myself.

The mentioned will be a pitching motion...

I stand, facing forward, body to the batter. I lift with my left foot (being a righty) and shift it 90 degrees. Then I follow by lifting the pivot foot and stomping it down (the back foot) while the left one remains on the rubber. I stomp the right foot down, as to create a mini crow-hop, then after I place the right foot back down, continue in my motion, as if it were a normal motion, such as Roger Clemens.

The question I had is, "is it illegal to lift the pivot foot (the back foot), and then place it down, while keeping the other foot on the rubber, so 1 foot is always on the rubber?"

Urgh, I kinda assumed that was the answer, because that makes sense, but that would make for one kick *** motion. I only hit 75ish, but I throw junk, so I'm always looking to add velocity (crow hop style) or to make myself more deceptive. I figured that both these would be accomplished through that, because I was throwing a little harder. Well darn.

O darn, I just found a new thing on wikipedia, which states "A balk call requires a high degree of judgment by the umpire. Often, umpires take the intent of the pitcher and the effect of the questionable action into account when deciding whether to call a balk.

With a runner on base, it is a balk when the pitcher:while pitching, removes his pivot foot from the pitching rubber, except to pivot;"

One more question, I originally meant this as something from the windup. Obviously, you can't balk from the windup, with no runners on...is that an illegal motion? Is that to be ruled a ball? Does anyone know?

"If no runners are on base and the pitcher commits an otherwise balkable action, several consequences may result. Most balks are deceptive to runners but not to the batter; these infractions are ignored when no runners are on base. When a pitcher commits an illegal action that is confusing to the batter, time will be called and the game will restart with a normal pitch; there is no further penalty. Finally, illegal quick return pitches are penalized by adding one ball to the batter's count. If a pitcher repeatedly commits illegal actions without runners on base, he may be subject to ejection from the game for persistently violating the rules."-wikipedia.com

My NEXT question is whether this would be considered confusing to the batter, enough, warranting a ball to be called because it might be ignored? I could come to every game with a rule book :)

The problem is it would be confusing to the umpire, who would probably warn you once, and then after you show him the rules, and make him look bad, will probably eject you from the game, as it is a non-standard throwing motion.

Maybe talk to your coach about it, and see if he'll do some more in-depth research on your behalf, so he can argue your side for you.

I'd say just give it a go, after talking with your coaches.

Remember, a few years ago, when Ichiro came into the league, everyone was confused by his hitting style, and wanted it to be illegal.

Push the boundry's, and you never know what might happen.

Also, remember, that if it does work, you will be losing that velocity when pitching from the set. Having two completely different motions rather than one (most pitchers motion from the set is basically the same as from the full, except for the start) may open up another can of worms, with regards to control issues, and possible extended strain on your arm, and other parts of your body, which of course may lead to injury.

(nice how i can sit on both sides of the fence here :D)

I think if you want more velocity you should get a pitching instructor and work on your mechanics.. a lot of the time it's something in the mechanics that causes you not to throw as hard as you can

I do agree with that as well. Bad mechanics can really hurt your velocity. And some people, like me, never really throw all that hard. I topped out at 84 at the end of my ball career (4 years of Uni [All Region, All Conference and 2nd Team All Conference], plus 5 years of wood bat baseball in the Western Major Baseball League (played in Western Canada) www.wmbl.ca [2003 was my best year, 2004 I hurt my shoulder, rotator cuff, and finished out the year, and decided it was time to move on with my life])

You want to add more speed to your pitches?

Longtoss.....longtoss....and lots of long toss....and build up some more arm strength. You use your lower body to push off the mound and drive towards home plate, so it would be suggested to work on your lower body be it stretching, running, lifting, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a balk...I know all the balk rules, but this one is an oddity to me, and I plan to use this for myself.

The mentioned will be a pitching motion...

I stand, facing forward, body to the batter. I lift with my left foot (being a righty) and shift it 90 degrees. Then I follow by lifting the pivot foot and stomping it down (the back foot) while the left one remains on the rubber. I stomp the right foot down, as to create a mini crow-hop, then after I place the right foot back down, continue in my motion, as if it were a normal motion, such as Roger Clemens.

The question I had is, "is it illegal to lift the pivot foot (the back foot), and then place it down, while keeping the other foot on the rubber, so 1 foot is always on the rubber?"

I'm pretty sure that's an illegal pitch/windup. I checked up on the rules this summer after I saw a pitcher take a step forward with left foot. The rule in question reads:

Link to MLB rules

"(a) The Windup Position. The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate and the other foot free. From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration. He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot."

So when you say: "Then I follow by lifting the pivot foot and stomping it down (the back foot) while the left one remains on the rubber." it violates the rule. Violation is caused because your left foot is your "free foot" so the initial movement of sliding it left is your step... so when you pick up your right foot and stomp it you're essentially taking two steps. Plus it's not a matter of having "1 foot is always on the rubber" it's a matter of keeping contact with your pivot foot on the rubber.

Rule 8.01(a) Comment: In the Windup Position, a pitcher is permitted to have his “free†foot on the rubber, in front of the rubber, behind the rubber or off the side of the rubber.

I'm not sure if a pitcher is allowed to have both feet on the mound AFTER starting his delivery, although it doesn't explicitly say that anywhere...

Archived