I wana throw lefty.

NYM

Over this winter I wan't to learn how to throw lefty and bat righty. I wan't to basically throw both ways and bat switch. Right now I'm more concerned with throwing lefty, because I know pretty much what to do to hit righty.

I've been throwing the ball lefty against a wall in my backyard and I'm just trying to do "muscle memory" and strenthen my arm.

Even though I'm a natural righty, I know it can be done. Billy Wagner was a right and he now throws 100 MPH lefty. The reason I wan't to do this is because I want to pitch. And if I pitch right and blow my arm out, I wan't to still be able to play.

So just act like your talking to a kid wanting to learn how to pitch. What should I do to gain control, strenghten my arm, gain velocity (besides building the legs, you need some excercises for the arm)

SO any tips?

Well, what I do is I pick up a baseball and I put it in my left hand and I throw it. You see, for me it is easy since I am a born lefthander.

But, to build your arm strength in that hand there is a trick you can do while you are watching TV this winter. Buy a tennis ball, or borrow one, whatever. Put it in your left hand and gently squeeze it and keep going until you can squeeze it harder. It builds up muscle strength in the arm. Then in the spring, soft toss with someone. Start twenty feet apart and keep going until you can do it further apart, 30, 40, 50 feet as long as you can keep your velocity and control.

It is not easy, but it can be done. I considered doing this with my right arm but somehow never did.

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I also wan't to learn how to pitch lefty.

Seriously how valuable would a pitcher with control in both arms be? I would be a great playoff starter!

I don't plan on pitching right or lefty for my HS team in the spring. I will most likely ask my Federation coach (who happens to be the varsuty coach) if I can pitch lefty or righty against weaker teams, or when we are ahead in games like 10-0. Then eventually work my way to being a starter.

Now here's a question. Just say I started a game lefty and went four innings. Then I went in to play first base, you think it would be a legal move if I went in in the seventh to pitch righty?

Imagine.

My philosophy on this is, why limit yourself to what you can only do. Why not expand your talents into making yourself better at what your good at.

Yeah, echoing what Y4L said...

I'm ambidextorous though. I was left-handed...but being part Asian, my mother tried everything she could do when I was younger to make me right-handed (left-hand = hand of the devil). It worked, so now I can write with both my hands (better with left hand) and throw with both of them (better with right).

The main thing is, make sure you practice it correctly. There's nothing worse than making a habit of poor technique. Good luck!

I've tried to throw lefty before, I have some genetic help because my dad was lefty. I can throw decent, but it just feels awkward. I need to work on the muscle memory stuff. For switch hitting, if you already bet lefty, why would you want to learn righty? Lety is superior. I throw R, and bat L.

Yeah, echoing what Y4L said...

I'm ambidextorous though. I was left-handed...but being part Asian, my mother tried everything she could do when I was younger to make me right-handed (left-hand = hand of the devil).

Your mother and I could never be friends.

Back on topic though...

I'm born left handed but when I learned to play beseball, my dad dint know how to hit left handed, so he just taught me right handed. I can switch hit with ease but I cant throw with my right hand for ****.

Why do you guys want to do this? As righthanders you have an advantage in a right handed world. It's tough to be lefthanded.

Look, let me show you this picture.

That's a lefthanded keyboard, which I own and I have been using it for years. it cost me 100 dollars. And all because it was made for a left handed person. This damn thing could have been had for twenty bucks if it were a regular keyboard. That's just one example of how lefthanders have it tough.

Over this winter I wan't to learn how to throw lefty and bat righty. I wan't to basically throw both ways and bat switch. Right now I'm more concerned with throwing lefty, because I know pretty much what to do to hit righty.

I've been throwing the ball lefty against a wall in my backyard and I'm just trying to do "muscle memory" and strenthen my arm.

Even though I'm a natural righty, I know it can be done. Billy Wagner was a right and he now throws 100 MPH lefty. The reason I wan't to do this is because I want to pitch. And if I pitch right and blow my arm out, I wan't to still be able to play.

So just act like your talking to a kid wanting to learn how to pitch. What should I do to gain control, strenghten my arm, gain velocity (besides building the legs, you need some excercises for the arm)

SO any tips?

O man, I had the same issue with my arm blowing out. I am ambidexturous, and I what I did was go out and purchase a left handed glove. I took the ball off a wall approach for a while, then you gotta start throwing with other people. It might have been easier for me, cause I throw lefty and righty in every sport, and I switch hit, but I'm sure you can do it.

SO any tips?

FYI I don't know if you've come to realize this yet but want is not a contraction and there is no apostrophe in the word. You say wan't but you also talk about "wanting to learn how to pitch." Your inconsistency confuses me.

Also there IS a difference between your and you're. So we're probably gonna want to talk to you like you ARE a kid and not your speech impediment. Thanks. Hope this is helpful. English is a very powerful language, learn how to master it.

Archived