Pitchers with excessive high batting rankings?

Gordo

Blasted a 500' bomb with Don Newcombe last night, so it's definitely happening. I think that when MVPedit does the auto-rating calculations, small sample size can seriously affect the results of power and contact.

My personal favorite is when people with ridiculously high numbers (i.e. Javy Lopez's 98/100), that they're ranked below lesser catchers in fantasy drafts because of their star rating. Buyer beware.

Freddie Green would be the guy with the '60 Pirates - a .375 average and 2 Homeruns but only 8 plate appearances. I think the best way to handle guys like this - with limited sample sizes - is to smooth things out by averaging in what they did the year before and year after. I think Roy Face hit .412 that year also but TC6 has adjusted this down and his contact rating is around 50.

SeanO - Newcombe *was* the real deal. His 500 foot blast is more a function of a fluke of the EA model than his having over-rated power. Did you know that after Newk's one triple he hit in '55 he stole home? He was a major offensive threat - and yes he could hit the krap out of the ball (just not 500 feet). Must of been a fastball you connected with right on the screws.

Daflyboys - you've just found a couple of flukes. Most of the hitters in TC are quite poor at the plate - exactly as they were in real life.

We'll have to look over the rosters and try to adjust the pitcher contact and power ratings for Total Classics 7. I've sampled a number of teams in MVPEdit and found this problem on each team (although not every pitcher has this problem).

By the way -- Newcombe currently has a contact value of 100 (vs. lefties and righties) and a power value of 96 vs. lefties and 98 vs. righties! :eek:

paul-

Just finished Bums by Peter Golenbock, so I definitely knew Newcombe was an all-around player. It's really a shame that he got tagged with the choker label, since he was such a good player that put up with more than his fair share of problems. I know his hitting was for real, even if his .359/.395/.632 in '55 was a bit flukish. For '55, I don't mind him being around there, since he clearly was rocking it on and off the mound then.

paul-

Just finished Bums by Peter Golenbock, so I definitely knew Newcombe was an all-around player. It's really a shame that he got tagged with the choker label, since he was such a good player that put up with more than his fair share of problems. I know his hitting was for real, even if his .359/.395/.632 in '55 was a bit flukish. For '55, I don't mind him being around there, since he clearly was rocking it on and off the mound then.

Big Newk was also rocking it off the field! I read a very interesting book called "The Last Good Season" by Michael Shapiro. It's about the '56 Dodgers - the year Newcombe won 27 games. I guess he could pretty much drink anyone under the table - including himself. His chokes in big games I think could have been due to this??

My anal rating system has Newcombe with a contact of 92 and power of 77 in '55.

Big Newk was also rocking it off the field! I read a very interesting book called "The Last Good Season" by Michael Shapiro. It's about the '56 Dodgers - the year Newcombe won 27 games. I guess he could pretty much drink anyone under the table - including himself. His chokes in big games I think could have been due to this??

My anal rating system has Newcombe with a contact of 92 and power of 77 in '55.

Paul - Do you have any "rules" for ratings? For rules, I'm talking about something like:

Avg. of .400 or higher would have a contact rating of 95 or higher

Avg. of .300 or higher would have a contact rating of 80 or higher

etc.

There would also have to be something for power ratings.

I have found plenty of pitchers with ratings that are too high. I want to adjust them, but want to try to make them realistic.

I've got a spreadsheet that went through about 10 iterations before I was happy with the results. Plug in the numbers and it gives you Power and Contact ratings for left and right handed.

I only use these ratings as a guidline. I'll make adjustments for ballpark (perfect example is Griffith Stadium) and also do some smoothing for small sample sizes. I'm quite "nuts" with these.

Also, they make me happy but I'm not that sure that they're in any way "correct". There's tons of variables and some of it has to be subjective. Also, I generally think you guys at TC do a very good job with the ratings you have. TC *is* outstanding.

I swapped some e-mail with Don (stecropper) last night, and he pointed me to the following forum message that goes into great detail on how the poster creates players for MVP2005, including specifics on contact and power ratings:

http://www.fanfaregames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2676

Don said that this is very similar to the formulas he developed when he helped with MVPEdit. I'm going to try applying some of the formulas in this thread to the pitcher contact and power stats that are out of whack to see how much they change.

I swapped some e-mail with Don (stecropper) last night, and he pointed me to the following forum message that goes into great detail on how the poster creates players for MVP2005, including specifics on contact and power ratings:

http://www.fanfaregames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2676

Don said that he uses much of this info when creating formulas forMVPEdit. I'm going to try applying some of the formulas in this thread to the pitcher contact and power stats that are out of whack to see how much they change.

Holy KRAP! That's a lot of info. I'd love to have some kind of open forum on player ratings. More to come...

Yes, this is a very good source for getting an excellent overview of MVP Ratings and their relationship to a players stats.

However, I discovered this long after MVPEdit was developed and merely stated that I think this write up is very much in line with how MVPEdit formulas were written. MVPEdit formulas were written for MVP Baseball 2004 very shortly after it's release. This write up was written in June of 2006.

I just felt a need to clear that up since MVPEdit and it's formulas were creations of themselves with no influence from any other source. Not that it matters but I wouldn't want anyone to think MVPEdit was not a creation of it's own and stands clearly on it's own merits.

Personally I think Robert Glass's MVPEdit was "The" significant catalyst for what we are all experiencing with the continued life of this game. FuzZ's MVP Studio, MVPSavReader & Tywiggins recent mods certainly have contributed as well and have been significant contributors also. All the magificent Stadium modders, Uniform modders & Cyberface modders along with the spectacular contributions from so many others like Audios, Schedules, Music etc etc have all made this a wonderful thing to witness and enjoy.

So even tho he hasn't been around in awhile "Let us not forget" the value of Robert Glass's MVPEdit program. I have a sneaky suspicion that we may be hearing from Mr Glass again, fairly soon, with another significant contribution that will elevate this game's value for each of us to even greater heights.

At least let's all hope so .............

Take Care,

Don

I have a sneaky suspicion that we may be hearing from Mr Glass again, fairly soon, with another significant contribution that will elevate this game's value for each of us to even greater heights.

At least let's all hope so .............

Take Care,

Don

just a feeling or do you know what is coming and are not talking about it?

R Glass is a freaking absolute genius. That he was able to make MVP Edit do what it does is an absolute marvel. I'd *love* to see some of his formulas - especially ones that created things like speed, arm, and range factors out of midair. Incredible stuff.

And I agree completely with, Don - MVPEdit is what really launched the entire modding community.

• 4 weeks later...

This kind of died..... any progress in this problem area? I can't get MVPEdit to work correctly on my PC (weird install error msgs). Or is this going to be addressed in the next update?

On the contrary. This is still very much alive. I went through every team and modified the pitcher contact and power ratings to make them more realistic. This update, along with a few others changes will be included in an upcoming Total Classics 7 release. We're targeting a TC7 release for the end of this month or very early December.

Archived