Which video card should I get?

tywiggins

I'm looking to spend up to $150 on a new video card (PCI-Express). What are the best cards that are available for $150 or less.

One card that I'm considering is the Radeon X1600 PRO 512MB. I can get it from ATI's store for $199. But if I send an old video card to them, I get $50 back. Bringing the total to $149 + cost of sending old video card to ATI. (I have some old video cards that are pretty much useless, except for this)

Here are some other cards that I'm considering:

BFG Tech 7600GT 256MB - $114 After rebate from Newegg.com

eVGA 7600GT 256MB - $110 After rebate from Newegg.com

Does anyone have any advice?

X1600 PRO 512MB.

have it. LOVE IT. I'm getting amazing graphics. and i have 1.5 sticks of ram. this card is amazing.

I'm still not sure. According to tomshardware.com, and a couple of other sites that I've looked at, the 7600 GT is better in the benchmarks than the x1600 Pro 512MB. I haven't really seen anything yet that says that the x1600 Pro 512MB is better than the 7600 GT.

the 7600gt is going to give you the best bang for your buck. i would have that card if i had pci-express. the 1600xt isnt too shabby either. word of advice, stick with newegg.com really good prices, and the shipping and service is top notch.

just because the 1600 is 512mb doesnt automaticly mean it will perform better. The gpu has to take more time to access and use the more available ram. Plus i believe the GPU and memory on the 7600gt is faster clocked.

the 7600gt is going to give you the best bang for your buck. i would have that card if i had pci-express. the 1600xt isnt too shabby either. word of advice, stick with newegg.com really good prices, and the shipping and service is top notch.

just because the 1600 is 512mb doesnt automaticly mean it will perform better. The gpu has to take more time to access and use the more available ram. Plus i believe the GPU and memory on the 7600gt is faster clocked.

Thanks for your response.

I buy most of my computer parts from newegg.com. zipzoomfly.com is another site I buy from.

no prob ty, i'm lookin for a power supply to run my 6800xt, i guess a 450w with a 15a 12v rail doesnt do it, getting a ton of hanging and random reboots. problems stopped when i put the old 6200 back in.

man 60 bucks for a good supply.

yeah geo, im wondering how my mvp will run on my other computer with an intergrated geforce 6100. oh man, im having withdrawls, power problems preventing me from playing mvp for over a month.

sorry about the unintentional hijack of the thread.

yeah a 7600 is the best performance to price card for your range. You will be delighted by its performance. Make sure you post the screenies of mvp running at 1900x1200, with 12xAA and 16AF with HDR, bloom lighting, dx10 action, 120fps and 8x resolutions that only mvp06 gives us. Ok so its not a brand new game, but it sure will run nicely at 1280x1024 and all the AA you can take

the GS is generally the budget model name of what ever card it is. Im pretty sure the 7800gt is better than the 7900gs. I would research it, but the seahawks are on

The 7800gt is better than the 7900gs. The 7800gt costs over $300 though.

The 7900gs looks like it is better than the 7600gt though.

I looked on tomshardware.com and the benchmarks are better for the 7900gs.

This is from wikipedia,

NVIDIA has recently released the 7900 GS, which is designed to fill the gap between the GeForce 7600 GT and the GeForce 7900 GT.

The GeForce 7900 GS has 20 pixel processors, 7 vertex processors, 256-bit memory bus, and comes clocked at approximately 450 MHz/1320 MHz for core/memory, which should provide slightly sub-par performance to the 7900 GT. The GeForce 7900 GS is powered by the latest graphics chip code-named G71, thus, comes with dual-link DVI outputs and other advantages the G71 has over predecessors, particularly, very low power consumption

I wasn't even considering buying the 7900gs before because I didn't find it for under $200. But, at $149.99 plus tax, it looks like a good deal. (And I won't have to wait for a rebate)

Thanks brutushayesosu for the bestbuy link.

Archived