The "thank you" speech

Totte

What can you say? Everyone knows the thank you speech but what do the people expect you to say? Should you mention any particular names in the speech that you wanna say an extra thanks to?

Please post thank you speeches that you've written yourself or listened to. Have a favorite speech of all time? Maybe a HoF introduction speech?

Anyway, an american on my team is moving back to the States this Christmas and he'll be missed on our roster and in the clubhouse. We've come up with an award called "Role Model of the Year 2006" to present to him this Saturday on his thank you party but I want to spice things up with a speech about his influence on the team. Any ideas on what to say?

Thanks

There was a somewhat OK show in the States back in the 80s or 90s called Murphy Brown in which a thank you speech ended like this:

"And, finally, and most importantly of all I'd like to thank...Murphy.....Murphy, what is the name of my hairdresser? Well, anyway, I'd like to say thank you to my hairdresser."

There was a somewhat OK show in the States back in the 80s or 90s called Murphy Brown in which a thank you speech ended like this:

"And, finally, and most importantly of all I'd like to thank...Murphy.....Murphy, what is the name of my hairdresser? Well, anyway, I'd like to say thank you to my hairdresser."

:lmao:

That was a good one. I'll see if I can add something like that :stickman:

just say what you feel about the people that you wanna thank, and say what they did for you or something like that.

and try to say some funny stuff the keep the audiences attention, like at the beginning start with a joke about him, and halfway through say something funny, and end with something funny. and you should be fine. any specific time length here?

Best tip I could give is to let it come from the heart.

As for the best thank you speech I ever heard, that would have been Jim Valvano at the ESPY Awards accepting the Arthur Ashe Award:

"Cancer can take all my physical abilities, but it cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul..."

i'd say the best format is like this:

thanks

more thanks

joke

little story (optional)

thanks

thanks

joke

thanks

another joke

thank you ALOT

-end of speech-

ok, maybe i went a bit overboard on the jokes, but remember that like BigDaddy said, make it come from the heart (unless you really hate him), and make sure it sounds sincere. Also, say that you'll miss him, but don't make it too gloomy - you want to make it a joyous occasion. so that's what i suggest. :cyclops:

i'd say the best format is like this:

thanks

more thanks

joke

little story (optional)

thanks

thanks

joke

thanks

another joke

thank you ALOT

-end of speech-

ok, maybe i went a bit overboard on the jokes, but remember that like BigDaddy said, make it come from the heart (unless you really hate him), and make sure it sounds sincere. Also, say that you'll miss him, but don't make it too gloomy - you want to make it a joyous occasion. so that's what i suggest. :cyclops:

I'm sure I'll be able to come up wit something after that

Archived