Is it possible my video card is TOO fast?

saturn2187

Hi everyone. I have never posted here before but I do read the forums a lot and get a lot of useful info from this site. Onto my question. About a year ago, I started learning how to build my own PC. I did some research and after a while, thought I had found some bargain prices for a great new PC!! Since then, I have read and learned a lot more and subsequently upgraded my system. Anyway, here is what I got a year ago.

3.06 Ghz Celeron Processor (Sorry!)

256 MB GeForce 6200 AGP video card (again, sorry!)

1 GB PC3200 RAM

400 W power supply

Since then, I have learned that most of those above components were mistakes. As such, I ditched the bargain RAM and I now have 2GB of Patriot RAM.

In addition, I purchased a GeForce 6800 XT video card to boost up the gaming a bit.

Recently I came to realize that even the GeForce 6800 wasn't enough. I purchased a BFG GeForce 7800 AGP. (Yes, I know.. I should switch to PCI-E....this was just a good deal!)

Therein lies the problem. Since I installed the new GeForce 7800 card, (one of the top AGP cards remaining on the market) my computers performance has lessened. It is not so bad when doing normal things in Windows but when I try to play a game it lags uncontrollably. It goes smooth for a second, then a long pause, then smooth, back and forth.

My idea is that the video card is sending data to the CPU (a celeron 3.06) way too fast for it to handle and this is causing the lags?? Either that or I need a new power supply. Can anybody give me any info as to why all this might be happening? I will start searching for a compatible P4 CPU for my Mobo. Thanks for any help you can provide.

May be the power supply. Is the 400W power supply enough power to support the video card? BFG cards are known for their overclockage, therefore more power is necessary. Eventhough their website states that you need a minimum of a 400W power supply, more is a lot necessary. If you dont have a high enough power supply, your computer will not run as fast as you want it to and may cause unfortunate overheating.

its an ultra. Yes, its cheap. I am trying to find one online now. A good one, at least 500 w. But it should also have a PCI-E dongle for when i upgrade. Any suggestions?

anyway do you think thats the problem?

I just ordered a 3.4 Ghz Prescott P4 for the system in the hopes that an upgraded processor will help, although that will probably place even more strain on the PSU

its an ultra. Yes, its cheap. I am trying to find one online now. A good one, at least 500 w. But it should also have a PCI-E dongle for when i upgrade. Any suggestions?

anyway do you think thats the problem?

I just ordered a 3.4 Ghz Prescott P4 for the system in the hopes that an upgraded processor will help, although that will probably place even more strain on the PSU

I don't think upgrading your processor is the answer, because your processor is inordinately good already. I would have looked into the power supply, this processor will only drain it more...

it sounds like you may have some type of compatability issues to me. maybe memory errors. it's not the processor/ video card conflict- maybe try tweaking the vid card settings. could be the PSU but, i wouldn't bet on it entirely. the PSU would still PROBABLY be adequate it would just fry faster.

check for background apps hogging resources. check for viruses too.dload drivercleaner and completely wipe old drivers then go to vid card site and download latest updates.

the fact that you are having issues in windows OS itself points more to a conflict or compatability issue than a bad PSU.

Archived