Can somebody help me?

pistonj92

I booted up my computer but there is no taskbar or desktop icons. Luckily when my computer booted up, and Internet browser is up. If you don't know of a way to fix this, do you think recovering the whole computer will work or is it useless? My computer is just a full blank screen and this window. My computer is on its last leg so I am not surprised that something like this has happened. I also have tried reebooting.

ctrl alt del, system processes, kill Explorer.exe and run "explorer" once more.

I've tried shutting down explorer.exe before, and my icons and taskbar also vanished. How is it that these things are related to explorer? and is there a way to shut it down without losing the icons?

Explorer does slow things down a bit and I only use firefox

sorry for the threadjacking :whistle:

I booted up my computer but there is no taskbar or desktop icons. Luckily when my computer booted up, and Internet browser is up. If you don't know of a way to fix this, do you think recovering the whole computer will work or is it useless? My computer is just a full blank screen and this window. My computer is on its last leg so I am not surprised that something like this has happened. I also have tried reebooting.

I've tried shutting down explorer.exe before, and my icons and taskbar also vanished. How is it that these things are related to explorer? and is there a way to shut it down without losing the icons?

Explorer does slow things down a bit and I only use firefox

sorry for the threadjacking :whistle:

Explorer.exe (not iexplore.exe, which is the process for Internet Explorer) is the process which actually "loads" the taskbar and icons, etc. and is essentially the controlling as pect of the GUI in Windows. That's why running explorer.exe will load your icons and taskbar and also why. JP_Frost, killing explorer.exe causes these things to disappear.

Archived