Is MLB recording in Hi-Def?

HardcoreLegend

Quick question and I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer, but is MLB recording their hi-def broadcasts for future viewing, distribution, etc?

I know that most local stations do not have the technology to record hi-def programming, only transmit it 'live air'. My question is, are the ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, FOX, FSN HD, etc broadcasts being recorded and stored by MLB for future HD-DVD and BluRay releases?

I am sure MLB records their HD broadcasts because usually the 2am rebroadcast of Sunday Night Baseball, etc is retransmitted in HD.

Anyone have any insight?

• 6 months later...

Anyone have any kind of update on this?

I've been recording hi-def feeds of the Cardinals games when they are ESPNHD. They hold up pretty well. One day, when I get a Blu-Ray burner, I'll be able to view them again in all their glory.

Here is the thing, though. The ESPN-HD broadcasts are heavily compressed.

Will MLB ever consider releasing the games on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? I'd buy the 2006 World Series (all broadcast in sparkling 1080p) on HD-DVD, even if it cost me $100.

Quick question and I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer, but is MLB recording their hi-def broadcasts for future viewing, distribution, etc?

I know that most local stations do not have the technology to record hi-def programming, only transmit it 'live air'. My question is, are the ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, FOX, FSN HD, etc broadcasts being recorded and stored by MLB for future HD-DVD and BluRay releases?

I am sure MLB records their HD broadcasts because usually the 2am rebroadcast of Sunday Night Baseball, etc is retransmitted in HD.

Anyone have any insight?

I record the Giants Dodgers HD Broadcasts.

I record the Giants Dodgers HD Broadcasts.

How so? Are they .ts streams or do you have an HD tuner in your PC?

What do you do with them? Do you convert them to standard DVD compliant MPEG2s or do you just leave the hi-def stream alone for future hi-def viewing.

I've been archiving all the original TS files on DVD-Rs and then converting them to MPEG2s for viewing on a regular DVD player. One day, I hope to use the unconverted files.

I made a pretty sharp DVD-DL of Tom Glavine's 300th Win.

Archived