Roberto Clemente homeruns - a *PURE* opposite field hitter

paulw

I sort of remember this from watching Roberto Clemente play so I decided to research it a bit on Baseball-Reference.com. Here's a report I generated-this is an amazing amount of opposite field homers:

URL: Clemente homers

I like playing with the '60 pirates and definetly am going to change his hitting tendencies - i.e. all of his hot zones from the middle to outside of the plate. Man there's a lot of info on bbr's site.

I'm sure it's unintentional, but that subject title is in bad taste dude!

omg - I didn't even notice the accidental play-on-words in the title.

It's all in what word you put the emphasis on.

...and come to think of it... I've heard "dead pull hitter" but never "dead opposite field."

hmm.

BTW - thanks Tony! I only posted this just as general info - it's not a criticism of Total Classics which is - as I've said many times - freaking awesome. I think I'm going to maybe start a thread - somethin like PaulW's statistical tidbits. Here's another interesting one - just how much better was Mickey Mantle from the right side of the plate than the left? Here's his splits:

I Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF ROE GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

+-+------------+----+----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+---+----+---+---+---+---+---+----+---+-----+-----+-----+-----+

vs RHP as LH 1330 4395 3468 953 128 14 257 628 893 75 853 6 5 23 36 52 .275 .422 .542 .964

vs LHP as RH 779 2021 1689 555 80 15 106 306 318 39 286 1 0 13 33 61 .329 .432 .582 1.014

.275 as a lefty - .542 Slugging

.329 as a righty - .582 Slugging

Very similar power - ISO is .267 as lefty .253 as a righty.

A "PaulW's statistical tidbits" thread would be awesome !!!

We have solicited input of this type from the beginning as that is the only way to continually improve on these Classic rosters.

No one person knows every players special attributes and we fully acknowledge that.

Every little tidbit we gain from others about any player makes the Classics a tadbit better!

The Classics are for all of us to enjoy and make better !!!

So, "THANKS MUCH" PaulW and keep it coming !!!

Thanks for your interest, Don. I'm going to start this up in the next day or two. I've got lots of "interesting" stuff to share. I think my first post will be on first baseman fielding. Bill James did some tremendous and incredibly intricate analysis of fielding in his book "Win Shares". I'll probably have a list of the best and the worst of all time (guys like Dick Stuart - Dr. Strangeglove (*the* worst), Vic Power (*the* best) and Bill Buckner). Other ideas are info on batting orders, player tendencies, etc.. I've spent 20+ years plus reading up in some of my spare time on baseball statistics, ratings and more. I've got a library of at least 20 references - it's a hobby I've had since I was a kid. It should be fun and I hope some other folks chime in with little tidbits they know about.

We have solicited input of this type from the beginning as that is the only way to continually improve on these Classic rosters.

No one person knows every players special attributes and we fully acknowledge that.

Every little tidbit we gain from others about any player makes the Classics a tadbit better!

Well said Don. As long as data has the backing for input we'll just keep making the mod better

Archived