.::Washing Out::.

MarlinsMS_35

[align=center]titlecf4.jpg[/align]

Washington D.C.-- Just two days before opening day, the Nationals made a huge shake-up for their entire organization. Owner Mark Lerner has fired GM Jim Bowden, and replaced him with First time GM Michael Silberling. Lerner wouldn't comment, but Michael told us "I am very excited to get going, and finally set this organization in the right path". "The only thing is that I'm younger than all of the players" he jokingly stated.

I put down the paper with a big grin on my face. I am finally in the paper. I am finally the Nats GM. I biked over to RFK where my new boss Mark Lerner was waiting for me. He handed me some papers, and they we're basically just a brief overview of the team, adn what he expects from us in the upcoming season.

orggn5.jpg

goalsyn8.jpg

titlecf4.jpg

2 days later

I'm so nervous about this game, The Marlins are a tough young squad, and have the attitude you want to see in a team. I can hear the fans filing into their seats above my box. I feel very confident over the 3 transactions I have made over the past two days.

FA Signings

Ryan Vogelsong

3Y/$1.9 M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trades

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To SD

SP J.Patterson

RF A.Kearns

1B N.Johnson

To WAS

1B A. Gonzalez

SP G.Maddux

CF M.Cameron

Contract Extensions

R.Zimmerman

3Y/$500k

Vogelsong is a solid pitcher who should be able to step right into our rotation.

It was hard to let Kearns, Johnson, and Patterson go, but I feel that the three players we brought in will help us tremendously.

And Zimmerman will be the face fo our organization for years to come.

The game is about to start now, so here we go. Monday, April 2nd, 2007.

Marlins at Nationals

Willis v.s. Maddux

titlecf4.jpg

bsai8.jpg

fsgg8.jpg

Even though we lost I was very impressed with how Greg pitched, and also don't discount Dontrelle, who threw a gem. It was a pitchers duel, until the last inning, where Hanley Ramirez's 2 run shot was a real heart breaker. Jacobs also had one earlier. I was also very impressed with Nook Logan, and Mike Cameron's speed, an we will use that to our advantage throughout the season. But I would like to see some more hitting, but that will come, we got all the butterflies out this game, and now the season really starts.

Well, let's hope you do better than the real life Nationals, who will struggle not to lose 100 games. I'm watching them against the Fish right now, and it's nor pretty. Firing Bowden was the best move you will ever make. Now let's see the real team do it.

titlecf4.jpg

Washington D.C.-- Only two games into the season there are rumors swirling around three players possibly being added to the trading block from the Nationals organization. One of those players is backup SS Christian Guzman, who is way overpaid for a back-up, and apparently Silberling thinks so too. Guzman was the Nationals starting SS before the club traded for him before last year's trade deadline from Cincinnati. The second player is Brian Schneider, the club's starting catcher. He's batting .429 so far this season, but again it's only two games so far. The last player is Mike Cameron who had recently been sent to the Nats in a deal along with Greg Maddux, and Adrian Gonzalez.

There is no word yet on what teams are involved in acquiring these players, but it is very apparent that no team would be wanting to trade only two games in, but you never know. GM Silberling's methods may be disagreed with by other fans, but the only thing that matters is a W, and he hopes to put the W back in Washington.

How do these things get leaked? Now I'll have to deal with the players coming up to me asking me if the rumors are true, which they are. If I tell them the truth, their performance will suffer, and I'll lose their trust. If I lie to them, and then trade them, they will never trust me with anything again. Theres many cons, and no Pros. But again I don't want to have to make a trade just for the sake of trading.

fsjl0.jpg

bsvu6.jpg

It was a pitchers duel just like our first game. But when Josh Johnson was taken out with 1 gone in the 5th inning, we exploded on the Marlins relief pitching, and cruised to a victory. I can't trade Brian Schneider, he means too much to our team, I'm going to disappoint some teams by taking him off of the block.

titlecf4.jpg

In my contract with the Nationals, they requested that I hold an open press conference after each series. I got my tie on, my nats hat, a nice suit, I'm ready.

Mark Lerner: Now, I'll be pleased to welcome our GM, Michael Silberling

*applause*

Hey Mark [Lerner], whats going on Manny [Acta]

Mark Lerner: Alright, our open question session is open. Ummm You in the back corner, your question?

[You guys ask questions, I answer them, this will happen after every series. I'll take 3 before I post the next game. Basically, you guys are the press.]

Hello John Smith Washington Post " are you worried about how Ryan Church and Ryan Zimmerman are hitting so far this year?"

Well, It's only 3 games into the season. I know what these guys are capable of, and I know they'll start to show their true abilities soon. I'm not worried.

Brock O'Grady, Baseball Today, "Can you comment on the recent trade rumors concerning catcher, Brian Schneider and Christian Guzman?"

Well, at one point I thought Brian was possibly being overpaid, and I was looking for options, but the way he's playing lately, it will take a lot to pry him away from us. Also, I don't want to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. If you do that, you're guaranteed to make a bad trade.

Lerner: We gotta run soon, last question.

Steven A. Smith, ESPN, "How could you possibly trade for veterans, when your team is already old enough, shouldn't you try to bring in some young guys to build for the future?

Well, I'm the kind of guy who wants to win, and I want to win now. I don't want to build a team that can possibly win in 3 years. I want to build a team that can possibly win this year.

Lerner:Well that's all the time we have today, thank you for coming, we have a game against Arizona to plan for.

• 2 weeks later...

[align=center]titlecf4.jpg[/align]

Peter Gammons(ESPN Blog)-- Rumor coming out of Washington is that Christian Guzman will be on the brink of release if a trade can't be worked out to send him somewhere else. Reports are deals are being worked out with Detroit, but those reports have not been confirmed, and the players possibly involved have not been leaked, other than Guzman.

Archived