Compmaniac's Cyberface Previews

compmaniac

Today, I decided to try to make a cyberface. I've never made a cyberface before, and I am quite a beginner at Photoshop.

I don't know if you like it or not, but it was for Joe Mauer. Could you guys give me some constructive criticism? Thanks.

joemauerdm1.jpg

My biggest problem is that the current Joe Mauer pressbox image and the game's original Joe Mauer cyberface's skin color differs. I kept using dodge and air brush, etc., and it made the cyberface blurry. What can I do?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also, it's hard to tell from this angle, but you may wanna take a second look at the eyes. not sure if they look a little cross eyed or not, and also see if you're willing to play around with it to get rid of the glowing rings around the eyes too. it's tricky.

if you'd like. it's a good one to practice with. again, it's only gonna come with practice.

the clone and stamp tool do the same thing, at least from what i can see. play with it. what you do is hold down Alt first and then click somewhere on the texter, say the hair. this takes your "sample". next start painting else where and it reproduces your sample where ever you click.

the eraser should be self explanatory. right? please nod your head.

i can see it in both in game and from the screen shot. when i say texture is missing, i mean that it's smooth, and lacks a rough skin texture. i drew a pic below to make extreme examples. i guess i shouldn't have said the texture was missing. it's just really smooth instead of life like. what this looks like in game is blurry skin instead of life-like. to really illustrate it, try drawing things in and testing it. for instance, use the blur tool and blur half the lips, or one eyebrow. then test it in game, and you will see the difference.

again, it's minimal. but minor details like these will lead to better looking faces. later down the road, you can start to work with lighting too. but that's another story.

remember, all in all, this was a really good first attempt.

Can you teach me about lighting now?

no, not yet. you're not there yet. trust me. besides, it's something i'm still playing around with and am in no way ready to start teaching something i'm not fully comfortable with myself. you know, this whole ordeal has gotten me to realize there are a lot of things to learn to do these faces.

i wonder if maybe we should do a tutorial thread. i wouldn't be able to do it myself though. it would have to be an ongoing thread too of course. let me think about that one. the drawback is that if i decide to do that, it'll be a long time before i even get another cyberface out. i wonder what tebjr or davidc would think of that :)

Archived