Who will have more career HR's?

scotty2hotty

Who will have more career HR's?  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• A-Rod
    • Pujols

Tough question. I vote A-Rod though because he's already well into his career, and there is less time for things to go wrong (i.e. injury).

It's really tough to look that far into the future.

Exactly. When Griffey was in his mid 20's, everyone thought he would break every record in the book.

How much does Pujols enjoy playing defense?

I know he plays good D, but I don't know much about Pujols, so I'm unsure of how much he actually likes playing it. He could switch to DH in a few years, really lowering the chance of being hurt. But then would that damage his mark? Would people accept a HR record done by a DH?

Griffey really liked deffense so he wasn't going to DH. A-Rod doesn't seem like he'll DH. The other play that could be in these talks, Miguel Cabrera, could be a dark horse. He has said he really enjoy's playing 3B, but he can also be really lazy out there. He seems like the most likely to play DH later in his career.

But baring any injuries, I'd put my money on Pujols.

Hank Aaron hit 22 of his 755 HRs as a DH.

Pujols enjoys playing defense, as far as I can tell. He's constantly working on being the best defensive 1st basemen in baseball and always talks with respect for the game making me believe he wants to play both sides. He came up as a SS/3B, so he has the athleticism to play the position for awhile.

He's also only 27 years old and got to 250 HRs faster than ARod. ARod had some monster years in his late 20s, but if Pujols can hit 50 this season (currently on pace for 44), if he played until he was 40 and only averaged 35 HRs a year, he'd hit 755.

Well there's quite a big difference between getting 22 HRs as a DH, and spending 10+ years getting 400+ HRs as a DH. Considering the lack of respect that DHs get in MVP voting (Which I do agree with, since it's the most valuable player, not best offensive player, but that's another topic all togeather), can't help but think that if a player broke the record while being a DH for the majority of the career, it would be viewed by a lot of people as tainted.

I also have an off-topic question though regarding DH. Did Ripken ever DH during his streak (and I only mean during it, don't care if he did it after it)? I was too young back then to really know the ins-and-outs of the game.

I also have an off-topic question though regarding DH. Did Ripken ever DH during his streak (and I only mean during it, don't care if he did it after it)? I was too young back then to really know the ins-and-outs of the game.

No, he never DH'd during the streak. His first DH appearance was in 2000, the streak ended in 98.

I remember him getting suspended once, but now I remember it, it was only for like 6 games. He hit a catcher if I'm correct, back when he had the 30 game hitting streak. I'm almost positive I'm thinking about Pujols.

He was suspended 2 games for punching (now teamate) Gary Bennett.

Wouldn't the streak have ended if he DH'd, since he didn't play the field?

No. A game counts as long as either A) One inning is recorded with the player playing the field or B) The player has atleast 1 AB happens.

I don't know about Ripken, as I don't know much about him, but I've read alot about Gehrig and he pulled those tactics often.

Archived