• Dave Concepcion - Reds
    • Rabbit Maranville - Braves
    • Pee Wee Reese - Dodgers
    • Ozzie Smith - Cardinals
    • Joe Tinker - Cubs
    • Honus Wagner - Pirates

Larkin: .295 .371 .444

Wagner: .327 .391 .466

And Honus played in the deadball era. For league-adjusted value, Wagner has a 150 OPS+, and Larkin has a 116. Concepcion's OPS+ is an abysmal 88, below league average. Reese is also below average at 99.

Wagner's the only real answer here.

It's ok english teacher, the numbers won't hurt you.

BTW, in searching for a witty english teacher joke, I ran across this:

A little girl came home from school and said to her mother, "Mommy, today in school I was punished for something that I didn't do."

The mother exclaimed, "But that's terrible! I'm going to have a talk with your teacher about this ... by the way, what was it that you didn't do?"

The little girl replied, "My homework."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA kill me.

Larkin: .295 .371 .444

And Honus played in the deadball era. For league-adjusted value, Wagner has a 150 OPS+, and Larkin has a 116. Concepcion's OPS+ is an abysmal 88, below league average. Reese is also below average at 99.

Wagner's the only real answer here.

I know Larkin is not the best, but he was better than Concepcion who is a choice

BTW Ernie Banks is the answer

Better fielder at SS and a better run producer than wagner

BTW Ernie Banks is the answer

Better fielder at SS and a better run producer than wagner

Wagner was the 2nd best defensive shortstop of all time next to Ozzie. Offense? His OPS + was 150 and Banks was 122. Wagner was a better hitter, fielder, and runner than Banks. Decisively.

Banks was good, but not even close to Wagner.

Banks: .274 .330 .500

50 points better than Banks in BA, 61 points in OBP. SLG is relatively the same, but come on, Wagner played when double digit homers were shocking. He was 1st in SLG 6 times (as a shortstop!). He was top 10 for homers for 11 seasons. He was also first in SBs 5 times, RBIs 5 times, XBH 7 times, and OPS+ 6 times.

Banks was first in SLG once, was never up there in SBs or OBP, and led the league in homers 2 times. Also, Rate2 has him as a 107, with Banks at a 106.

I don't know why I even found all that out, but it's good to know how great Wagner was. He was incredible.

Wagner was 1st in SLG 6 times (as a shortstop!)

Banks was first in SLG once

You always spin stats, Wagner's career SLG was .416 while Banks was .500

Is it banks fault he played with better players around him?

50 points better than Banks in BA, 61 points in OBP. SLG is relatively the same

so when Wagner has 50 point higher average and a 61 point better OBP it is good to point it out but when Banks has a 84 point advantage in SLG it is too close to mention?

Spin baby spin

just to give you an idea of how bad Wagner was in the field

His career fielding percentage is .940, the worst SS in baseball in the field last season was Lopez with a .954. That is 14 point lower that the worse player in baseball last season

you would have to double Banks total errors for is career to make his Fpct the same as Wagner's

Yes he was that much better in the field and had a higher career SLG.

Banks average 20 more bases per 162 games than Wagner

to take Wagner over Banks is crazy

kraw-

Banks played with a solid, uniform, white baseball. Honus Wagner played with a dark, heavy, beanbag. Banks played on a well-manicured field, while Wagner played at a wooden ballpark whose fields flooded every spring. Wagner had tremendous range that allowed him to get to more balls, and you really think he should be penalized for that?

Relative to the league, Wagner is dramatically better. When you adjust to league-average, which is why we have OPS+, Wagner is countless runs ahead.

Even the most ardent Cubs fans wouldn't think Banks is close to Wagner, considering how similar their career lines are (Wagner higher in BA, Banks higher in SLG), it could be a tossup, but when you adjust for era, Wagner was unbelievable.

Finally, in total WARP:

Banks: 128.3

Wagner: 200.8

Write-in's at this point:

Arky Vaughn: 1

I have to admit this one has me surprised. I thought that Ozzie would have run away with it at this point based on his defense alone.

But to see Wagner in 1st place at this point and to see the voting so tight is really encouraging.

Archived