**WIP** - Ybor Park - Fantasy Home to the Devil Rays

CountryBumpkin

For those of us that have actually experienced a baseball game(s) at Tropicana Field aka The Fruit Dome...outside of the comforts of AC...it's a very sterile environment and it has never felt right to me. Playing the game in there with the DRays darned near made the game unplayable.

paulw and Hyman gave us a great stadium in Ebbets to play in that the buildings showed a lot of the same characteristics that the old Cigar Factories in Ybor City still show today. For those that have no idea about Ybor City located just east of Tampa...it was known as Little Havana over 100 years ago and was the Cigar Capital of the World.

Today, a lot of those buildings still stand today and has become a thriving entertainment district with restaurants, dance clubs, movies and shops. I thought it would be a neat idea to use the street behind right field in Ebbets as my 7th Avenue and create an 'Ybor City Flavor' that is not completely correct, but have taken a lot of the interesting landmarks and put them in the game.

To date...I'm only about 50% complete in both the day and night version. At this point all I have done is a lot of painting and not much structurally as I'm slowly...I mean slowly starting to figure out Oedit. I'll be back in Tampa again soon and will be taking the last of the photos I'll need to get the job done. I would like to change a couple of the remaining buildings from Ebbets into refinished Cigar Factories that have been converted to appartment buildings. The Texaco Station will eventually be replaced by a night club that has an outdoor patio and I'm trying to add more lighting to the stadium itself. Tampa's skyline was added in what is probably the identical place it would be if the stadium was ever constructed. Plus I want to clean up any and all jaggies and off colors that my be seen.

Anyways, this stadium has paulw and Hyman's fingerprints still all over it. It won't be released without their blessing. I can only imagine the time and patience that they or anyone for that matter puts into these stadiums. I'm totally respectful of anyone's work. I'm just glad we have a forum like this to share in.

I'm interested to hear any thoughts, likes or criticisms.

mvp2005%202007-06-22%2012-47-09-57.jpg

mvp2005%202007-06-22%2012-46-46-03.jpg

mvp2005%202007-06-22%2012-46-23-92.jpg

mvp2005%202007-06-22%2012-43-49-42.jpg

mvp2005%202007-06-22%2012-43-24-71.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well...Ybor Park seems to be coming along. I've pretty much settled in on the buildings that are in the game. A lot of the graphics I got directly from Ybor City myself and it's been difficult to settle in on what I wanted to see in there. Columbia Restaurant and the Italian Club along 7th Avenue, tattoo parlors, condos and the Tampa City skyline (although the game doubled it). I've worked on the walls to reflect DRays theme and I'm trying to build in a park atmosphere that works behind the Columbia restaurant.

Anyways...it's coming along and hope to have it finished soon.

BTW - I again just wanted to give a shout to not only paulw and hyman who built this stadium, but I can totally appreciate 'ALL' of our moders here in this community as I have put hours upon hours of my own time into only one stadium let alone the numerous tasks others have taken on...and all I've done is paint...no structural changes. Thanks again to everyone who make this game better!!!!

Here's some updates:

mvp2005%202007-07-13%2006-55-27-59.jpg

mvp2005%202007-07-13%2006-56-16-67.jpg

mvp2005%202007-07-13%2007-01-15-98.jpg

mvp2005%202007-07-13%2007-04-19-42.jpg

mvp2005%202007-07-13%2007-04-54-85.jpg

mvp2005%202007-07-13%2007-10-37-01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys...I'm real close to letting this thing out. There's a cut scene for this stadium that pulls to the front entrance of the stadium showing the classic Ebbets entrance. There's been some talk in the Bay Area that when a stadium is really built that an entrance very similar to this will be done. Seems everyone is copying the idea. So I'm going to use the soon to be Citifield's version for now as there are some really good renditions on the net for it...both day and night. Plus a couple of other small things that I need to clean up.

As for the seats Philly...I'll take a look at a couple of other colors from other parks as well as the seats from the trop. I've really never thought about changing them to tell you the truth as there was always something else to work on...but the changes are a very quick fix. I agree with you that the seats are a more classic look, but I want to make sure that there is enough contrast to not wash out.

**Just noticed in your post Philly that you're talking about 'Pale Green' in the bleachers...you must be talking about the classic poles. I haven't messed with those really either but I will tinker with them...

I would really like to get lights put on the home plate part of the stadium but my OEdit skills are really nil. My wee little brain can't seem to grasp it...and I don't think I'm alone in that.

My goal is to have this thing out to everyone by this weekend...and then maybe a second version if I can ever get the extra lights up. But it's a heck of a lot better than playing in the FruitCan.

LOL...by the way...very cool when a player homers to right field and the ball goes through the entrance to the Park(which has been changed again to structurally look better), it will roll until it stops.

Anyways...we're getting close.

Archived