Batting the Pitcher 8th

ChicagoCubs720

Right now I am following the Brewers-Cardinals game on MLB Gameday, and it really got me thinking about Tony LaRussa's stragedy.

Here's what I think:

-the worst hitter in the lineup (usually the pitcher), should bat the least amount of times, therefore bat last.

-depending upon your lineup, batting the pitcher 8th could be beneficial. For the Cardinals, I don't think it is. Here's why:

as demonstrated in the top of the 6th of tonights game, Suppan loaded the bases as he went through the heart of St. Louis' order. He was then able to strike out Kelly Stinnett to get to Looper, the 8th hitter. LaRussa did hit Ankiel for him, but what if Looper was pitching well or if it was early in the game. What then?

I understand the logic behind this, but I believe it's flawed. Why would you insert a "second lead-off man" (your Brendan Ryans, Brian Bardens, etc.) in front of David Eckstein? You want guys on base for people who can advance the runner and/or score them. David Eckstein is known for doing neither, since he is a lead-off man. This made me think about other team's lineups. Could Lou Piniella do this with any success? I think he'd have more of a chance succeeding then LaRussa. And it's all because of the type of lead-off man in the Cubs' lineup, Alfonso Soriano. Soriano is a power-hitter. He collects many extra-base hits. Eckstein does not. Very often, there is nobody on base for Soriano because the pitcher/bottom of the order has just hit. If someone like Ryan Theriot hit 9th, Soriano might be able to collect more RBIs. See what I'm getting at?

Tell me what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived