Louisville Colonels

HardcoreLegend

I was watching Ken Burns' Baseball this past weekend and was thinking about the Louisville Greys and their short yet scandalous existence.

It got me thinking, "Grey Sox", huh..what could have been.

Did alittle research and discovered that the longest Major League team to exist in Louisville, Kentucky was the Louisville Colonels. Louisville has the 17th highest population in the United States, higher than Washington DC, Atlanta, Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland, Miami, Minneapolis, and Arlington.

Things started turning in my head. What if they stayed and kept Honus Wagner? What if they had existed in the National League all this time? What if they had been bought at the turn of the century by Hillerich & Bradsby Co. to promote their top star Honus Wagner (the original spokesman) and attempted to change team name to Sluggers, but faced backlash from community for being unpatriotic?

What if some 90 years later, the team faced it's first new ownership with a purchase by Louisville based Yum! Brand Restaurants. Yum Brands! would build a state of the art stadium, incorporating many of Bradsbury Stadiums classic designs but with a wide variety of tie-ins from it's various restaurants. Even though considered unpopular, the Yum! executives replace the lovable old 'Colonel Woodswing' with 'The Colonel' from their KFC stores.

Anyways, all of that aside, I dummied up some uniforms based on some stuff from the various Louisville minor league teams.

This is proabably as far as I'll go with it, I probably won't even clean up the unis. Just needed to let my creativity take a walk for a day.

colonels.jpg

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Generally, me and the 3 other voices in my head attempt to put out a weekly sheet, however lately there has been alot of infighting and we've been reduced to bi-monthly. I'm thinking of firing the angry, Irish drunk voice because, frankly, he scares the rest of us but he has threatened litigation.

Uh, dude. Great backstory - very nice uniform design (although, as you said, a little cleanup would be neccessary). I like it a lot - and I love the oak-leaf on the hat as the logo.

It's a colonel's insignia from the US Army. I originally had an old english L, similar to the Tigers and the L that Louisville wore on it's chest at the turn of the century, but like the insignia better.

The color scheme, incase anyone wondered, is orange and blue.

Archived