County Stadium Milwaukee - 1956-57

paulw

Now *this* was a challenge - I've finally got it all converted to daytime so I now actually have a day and night version. I prefer the night on this one. I want to add the Miller Brewery yet and then I'm finished. Here's a couple of daytime shots - I'm still not completely happy with the lighting effects but it's now at least o.k., I think...

Paul-

One little thing. I don't know if that was the chain-link fence from KC municipal, but I know I goofed up the spacing on most of my fencing in the alphablend. It should only take a few seconds to modify, but if you can even out the spacing along the walls, it would definitely shine up the park that much more.

Looks great though guys, good job.

Paul-

One little thing. I don't know if that was the chain-link fence from KC municipal, but I know I goofed up the spacing on most of my fencing in the alphablend. It should only take a few seconds to modify, but if you can even out the spacing along the walls, it would definitely shine up the park that much more.

Looks great though guys, good job.

I am using KC Municipal for the base. Because of this I'm going to list you as one of the co-authors. I'm guessing I just have to change the U or V values on the fence. If I have any trouble, I might ask for a little help.

Yup, all U values (not V's, those are set). What I do is just load up alpha, start with one side and put that at 0. Then, select the next vertex and come up with a logical assumption of how many fence sections. So, maybe 20 for the left field and right field sections, and 10 for the center field.

So, 0, 20, 30, 50. Just back up the file first.

Really no need to list me as a co-author, since I didn't do all that much to KC Municipal from the Met in the first place. just keep up the good work.

Yup, all U values (not V's, those are set). What I do is just load up alpha, start with one side and put that at 0. Then, select the next vertex and come up with a logical assumption of how many fence sections. So, maybe 20 for the left field and right field sections, and 10 for the center field.

So, 0, 20, 30, 50. Just back up the file first.

Really no need to list me as a co-author, since I didn't do all that much to KC Municipal from the Met in the first place. just keep up the good work.

It works real nice, Sean. I'm just going to play with the numbers a little. It looks much better. Thanks, as always, for the help.

Now if I really wanted to do something crazy I can solve some equations and set the fence at 315 362 392 402 392 362 320. That might be too much like work, however, for me.

So wait, you didn't take the fence from the metropolitan I edited that had the corrected fence graphics?

I just did a quick fix up. I haven't had a chance to look at your metro fence yet.

BTW - I have the coordinates for the correct dimensions (315,362,392,402, etc.). I moved the fence accordingly. If I can move the warning track (*should* be no problem) I'm then going to edit wall.dat and test. I definitely want to send this to you when I get it done so you can have a look at test also.

Well, I guess County is pretty well finished - and yes I have both a day and night version. Kind of a pain but I guess worth it.

I moved the fences to as close to their actual distances as I could. Working with wall.dat was it's usual pain but all my testing so far seems fine. The sign markers you see on the wall are actually those *exact* distances. The only thing that's off are the distances right down the foul lines - but close.

I'm going to initially send copies of this to Jim, Alex Tony and HCL before I release it on the web site. I'd like them to look it over - and make sure it works.

A final pic:

• 5 weeks later...

Just a bit more - I can't leave this stuff alone once I start. There's a wall bug in the current version which I'm 99% sure I have fixed. I also now have the left field line at it's correct 320 foot distance. Finally, and this was a royal pain, I rebuilt most of the grandstand. I'll release an update when I can actually leave it alone for a couple of days...

The wall bug took me a couple of weeks to find. It was ignoring the vertex point at the deep left center 392 sign (aaagh! - I hate working with wall.dat). I've tested and tested and tested and it *seems* perfect now. I can only set it at rookie and bomb away so many times.

Sean, I can't even imagine some of the work you did moving all those stands around in Yankee (and in a lot of your other work). Talk about working in the trenches. BTW, I dig your sig!

Now this is County Stadium... I've got almost everything in place. Here's a view down the right field line with the old "Grand Stand Extension". The grandstand is now completely rebuilt (yes, I know I'm nuts). This was way too much work but still fun. I still want to try and add the concession stands that were in the top area of the extension. It's kind of bland looking now.

Now this is County Stadium... I've got almost everything in place. Here's a view down the right field line with the old "Grand Stand Extension". The grandstand is now completely rebuilt (yes, I know I'm nuts). This was way too much work but still fun. I still want to try and add the concession stands that were in the top area of the extension. It's kind of bland looking now.

In case anyone is wondering about the specifics of this mod, it is from the 1954-1959 era of County Stadium: (thanks clem)

MilwaukeeCountyStad_1954.gif

So, the right field hadn't been double decked yet, left field was still largely open, and there were scattered bleacher sections around the park.

I think it's ready. I did my last change tonight. This is very close to 1950's County Stadium. Sean - if I remember right I recall sitting in the grandstand extension in rf for a double header against the Red Sox in 1978 (BTW - the Brewers were massacred that day). The extension of the upper deck in right and the building of the permanent double-deck bleachers down the left field didn't occur until around 1980 or so. Thanks as always for your information on the ballpark. Here's one last snapshot I took:

I think it's ready. I did my last change tonight. This is very close to 1950's County Stadium. Sean - if I remember right I recall sitting in the grandstand extension in rf for a double header against the Red Sox in 1978 (BTW - the Brewers were massacred that day). The extension of the upper deck in right and the building of the permanent double-deck bleachers down the left field didn't occur until around 1980 or so. Thanks as always for your information on the ballpark. Here's one last snapshot I took:

Looks great paul. Also, check your e-mail, just sent you something to check out.

Sean, just so you know, there is a 3D batting cage model availible in one of the stadiums if you want to put it in CF of Forbes.

You nailed it HCL, I actually imported it from the batting mini game stadium and put it in center. The problem is that (somehow) the game automatically makes it disappear when you see it from the batting view, so I was getting a problem where I could see it on replays, but it was invisible when I was batting. I ended up using oiftool to dump it into a dummy mstadium.o file and some other shenanigans to get it working.

Also, definitely keep plugging on the zMod tutorial, it is incredible.

Yeah, I'm working through the collision and tanim parts of rolie's tutorial now. Unfortunately anything dealing with collision is tricky as hell, so once I figure out my method of making it happen, we'll be all set.

Now, the holy grail of ballparks is making a Crosley Field with the hills in the outfield.

Can't you just export the rhinopoints from the part that includes the batting cage and then put those coordinates in coll.dat?

Sorta, even that requires some finagling. Plus, the batting cage is a couple of different parts: the netting, the frame, and then three different parts for the bottom. And, naturally, each of these is in a different file.

I'm taking baby steps now, but it's on the list. I definitely want balls to whack off of it, I just hope it doesn't screw with the fielders too much.

Archived