County Stadium Milwaukee - 1956-57

paulw

I promised Jim I'd try and put this together and finally got motivated. I worked on it for a couple hours today and have found it is do-able. Funny thing is - this is (was) *my* real life ballpark. The background is pretty much an exact pic looking out from the upper deck towards the indescribably beautiful Menomonee River Valley circa 1956 ;-) When I was a kid in the early 60's my dad used to love to sit in the upper deck on the 1st base side. He was a huge train fan and all of the railroad yards stretched out before his eyes while I watched Spahn, Mathews and Aaron.

This is my first attempt - I've got a lot of detail and other stuff I'd like to add. I might even try to enlist the help of one of my favorite modding buddies. Here's where I'm at now. BTW - the trees in center were called Perini's Wood's. They didn't last much past the late 50's.

79227642_fb5acac505_b.jpg

That is absolutely *gorgeous*. Thanks, HCL!! I'm going to put this together as exactly as possible. I went into my Dad's old pictures last night but could only find some pictures from 1964 and 1965. I did find a whole set of neat pics of a Red's game he took in 1964. I was probably about 10 at the time so I just remember little bits and pieces of it.

Well, I've been making some progress. I've got the scoreboard down pretty good and have been working some on the backdrop. There's a bunch of other things I need to try. It plays o.k. now but not yet how I'd like it to be. BTW, I added the full moon coming up over the scoreboard in right. It was always one of my favorite sights at County - the ballpark faced southeast so on a good night the moon traced the sky from center field to over the scoreboard. It was one of the few actually beautiful sights at County which sometimes felt like being inside a submarine.

Looks like the scoreboard is going to be the star in this one. Did some touching up and minor color change. Thanks, HCL. I'm considering you a co-author of this ballpark. Really a great job. I'm trying to get the scoreboard *working* but not having a lot of luck.

That looks amazing. I can fix that to make both sides more realistic (taking away those blacked out areas for out of town games.

I can also try my hand and doing the baseline scoreboard for ya too.

HCL, can you pm me your Email. We can work together on this one and send stuff back and forth. That's when modding becomes really a lot of fun.

I've got the grain elevators down on Lincoln Ave. in nicely and still want to add the Johnson Building on National. As I work more and more this is eerily really starting to look familiar to me. Yah, is starting to look like old County Stadium der, heh?

Archived