DylanBradbury

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&s

File Name: MVP Baseball 2005 Pitcher Rating Calculator

File Submitter: DylanBradbury

File Submitted: 20 Jan 2009

File Updated: 27 Jun 2011

File Category: Tools and Editors

Version: 12.0

Use this program to determine a pitcher's ratings. This program calculates movement, control, velocity, and suggested trajectory for each pitch. It also calculates the pitcher's stamina rating.

For more information, please read the included readme.

If you have any questions, please ask them <a href="http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?showtopic=36536" target="_blank">here</a>, rather than PM me. Chances are someone else has the same questions as you do.

Enjoy!

cool.gif

<u><b>Version History</b></u>

Version 12 (Current Version)

- Improved formulas for movement and control

Version 11

-Fixed a bug where for pitch control and movement were being rated too high.

Version 10.4

-Fixed a bug where for some really strange reason, it was randomly assigning a pitch if none was selected for the third pitch.

Version 10.3

-Improved some formula

-Fixed an oversight in the Pitch Type Database, where if there were two pitchers with the same name it might choose the wrong pitcher. I took out the duplicates that were "less famous."

Version 10.2.1

-Fixed a small bug where knuckleballs weren't being assigned in the random function.

-Fixed a small bug where if a pitch wasn't selected for the second pitch, it would assign everything to zero's if you clicked "Calculate" once, but if you clicked it again, it would calculate the pitch as a change-up. Now it just calculates it as a change-up the first time.

-Fixed a bug with the Import/Export feature and the new stamina formula

Version 10.1

-Fixed a small bug where if the third pitch selection was null, it would still assign ratings to it.

Version 10.0

-Added a second stamina formula. NEW! You can now choose the classic MVP-type formula or a more accurate formula. The MVP formula is the one EA's developers used and used in my calcualtor since the start. The Accurate formula is more representative of how I feel a pitcher performs. A closer will now have a rating in the teens or twenties (approx 10-29) rather than in the 40s.

Click here to download this file

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to what yanksrcol said, maybe the next calculator should be a 2005 to 2004 rating converter.

Anyway, I too love these calculators, they give great results. One small issue with this pitching calculator however, I think the output velocity's are a little high. Seems like every pitcher I entered returned a 101 fastball velocity rating. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

In response to what yanksrcol said, maybe the next calculator should be a 2005 to 2004 rating converter.

Anyway, I too love these calculators, they give great results. One small issue with this pitching calculator however, I think the output velocity's are a little high. Seems like every pitcher I entered returned a 101 fastball velocity rating. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I have had very few guys with that high of a rating, but the guys I am working on are all-time guys, and a lot of dead ball era stats. The only guys I have seen with that high of velocity ratings are guys like Jim Maloney, and Rob Dibble.... Guys who threw 99+...

Can you post a chart that converts the movement and control ratings to the ratings in the game? Or is it the same as the batter rating calculator?

Yah the movement ratings are the same, but here is the chart anyway:

15 - 100

14 - 95

13 - 90

12 - 85

11 - 80

10 - 75

09 - 70

08 - 65

07 - 60

06 - 55

05 - 50

04 - 40

03 - 30

02 - 20

01 - 10

00 - 00

Generally, wherever you see a 0 - 15, the chart above can be used to convert them to the 00 - 100 scale. Hope this helps.

Hey InSainn, the ratings I've been calculating haven't been that high, but if you want, post the statistics you're entering, and I'll determine if there's anything wrong.

Well, it's the same as with the batter stats I was entering in the batter calculator, 3 years worth of stats. Maybe that has something to do with it? If it's written for one season worth of stats and a guy has 500 strikeouts it would make sense to set his velocity that high.

Mine has been the same thing. I'm entering stats for Joe Nathan for 2008.

G GS CG IP HR BB SO ERA

68 0 0 67.7 5 18 74 1.33

Here's what I get

Pitch Movement Control Velocity Trajectory

Fastball 98 101

Slider 15 93 91 10-4 or 2-8

Cutter 12 92 94 3-9 or 9-3

Curveball 14 93 83 12-6

EDIT: Sorry it's hard to read...when I typed it out it was more spaced out but when i submitted it it all compacted together.

Mine has been the same thing. I'm entering stats for Joe Nathan for 2008.

G GS CG IP HR BB SO ERA

68 0 0 67.7 5 18 74 1.33

Here's what I get

Pitch Movement Control Velocity Trajectory

Fastball 98 101

Slider 15 93 91 10-4 or 2-8

Cutter 12 92 94 3-9 or 9-3

Curveball 14 93 83 12-6

EDIT: Sorry it's hard to read...when I typed it out it was more spaced out but when i submitted it it all compacted together.

No worries about the formatting.

Nathan is a mighty fine pitcher. That's why his estimated velocity is so high. I suggest using a website like FanGraphs.com, where you can see his actual velocity, and use that instead.

Well, it's the same as with the batter stats I was entering in the batter calculator, 3 years worth of stats. Maybe that has something to do with it? If it's written for one season worth of stats and a guy has 500 strikeouts it would make sense to set his velocity that high.

Yah, the formula allows for this. It may be that the pitcher has a lot of strikeouts, plain and simple.

They're all pretty backwards compatible.

Oh that's good news! But if they are backwards compatible, why was there a batter rating generator specifically for 2004?

The differences between the '04 and '05 ratings are too small for me to make all my calculators for MVP 04.

The batter rating generator for '04's ratings aren't as accurate as '05's ratings. Sorry to disappoint.

Hey Dylan, I have an idea for your next project. I don't know how much work it would be but it'd be nice if each calculator had seperate input boxes for each stat for up to 3 different seasons so that way the calculator could add em up automatically and calculate the values. Or to take that a step further, have what I just said and set it up so that season 1 (most recent season) holds more weight than season 2 & 3. That way the stats for 2008, 2007 & 2006 could all be added together but 2008 stats would carry more weight than 07 and 07 stats would carry more weight than 06. Anyway, it's just an idea but I think it'd make for even more accurate ratings because if a player had a career year or had a year long slump, it doesn't skew their ratings one way or the other. Just a thought...

Hey Dylan, I have an idea for your next project. I don't know how much work it would be but it'd be nice if each calculator had seperate input boxes for each stat for up to 3 different seasons so that way the calculator could add em up automatically and calculate the values. Or to take that a step further, have what I just said and set it up so that season 1 (most recent season) holds more weight than season 2 & 3. That way the stats for 2008, 2007 & 2006 could all be added together but 2008 stats would carry more weight than 07 and 07 stats would carry more weight than 06. Anyway, it's just an idea but I think it'd make for even more accurate ratings because if a player had a career year or had a year long slump, it doesn't skew their ratings one way or the other. Just a thought...

A long, long time ago I made a program that did exactly that! But no one liked it, so I removed it. lol

I just use a spreadsheet if I want to weight three-year stats.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks,

I fixed a weird bug where the third pitch's ratings were being effected by the second pitch type. Now it's all fixed.

As well, I wanted to remind people about the pitch repertoire wiki I started a while back. You don't have to be a member to add or edit pages, but I'm sure it'll be really useful once it gets going. Take a look, and please contribute your pitcher knowledge to it. I can't do it alone.

And don't forget to enjoy my Pitcher Rating Calculator, and my other calculators as well!

Happy Sunday. :)

• 1 month later...

I've updated 2 teams and it appears the 2nd pitch which should be the pitchers 2nd best he throws always has the lowest control number? Doesn't this make this his worst pitch?

I'm still updating several teams - I'll check to make sure this trend is continuing.

I've updated 2 teams and it appears the 2nd pitch which should be the pitchers 2nd best he throws always has the lowest control number? Doesn't this make this his worst pitch?

I'm still updating several teams - I'll check to make sure this trend is continuing.

Hey golfguy, I'm in the process of changing the readme, and possibly some code to reflect this:

Basically you want to sort your pitches in the following order:

1. Change-up

2. Curveball

3. Knuckleball

4. Screwball

5. Sinker

6. Slider

7. Splitter

8. 2-Seam Fastball

9. Cutter

10. Circle Change

11. Forkball

12. Knucklecurve

13. Palmball

14. Slurve

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Hey golfguy, I'm in the process of changing the readme, and possibly some code to reflect this:

Basically you want to sort your pitches in the following order:

1. Change-up

2. Curveball

3. Knuckleball

4. Screwball

5. Sinker

6. Slider

7. Splitter

8. 2-Seam Fastball

9. Cutter

10. Circle Change

11. Forkball

12. Knucklecurve

13. Palmball

14. Slurve

Sorry for any inconvenience.

ok - I'll give that a shot - thanks for the reply back.

Archived