Sigs & Avatars

BleedingCubbyBlue

Is it possible to turn off sigs and avatars? I log in from work sometimes and would rather not see sme of this stuff at work. I can't find that setting in the Account area. Thanks.

BCB

There may be a hack for this. I'll take a look around, see if I can come up with something. I've always been a "text-only" sig supporter myself.

Yea, that would be nice too. I'd prefer 25 or 30 personally.

For now there's a reason for limiting the posts-per-page. This poor server we're on really gets pummeled by this cms system, 256 meg of ram just doesn't cut it. Limiting the posts per page really helps with the load on Apache and MySQL. When we move to a new server we can jack those up. It'll probably be a month or 2, but long before 2005 comes out.

For now there's a reason for limiting the posts-per-page. This poor server we're on really gets pummeled by this cms system, 256 meg of ram just doesn't cut it. Limiting the posts per page really helps with the load on Apache and MySQL. When we move to a new server we can jack those up. It'll probably be a month or 2, but long before 2005 comes out.

Fair enough. Although it would probably be unpopular, disabling sigs and avatars would probably help your servers a ton as well.

Fair enough. Although it would probably be unpopular, disabling sigs and avatars would probably help your servers a ton as well.

We've had quite a few discussions where sigs are concerned, the only reason images are still allowed is because of how popular they are. As much as I dislike the images in sigs, I do like avatar images. I find myself identifying posters by avatar without even having to see the name.

I've found a couple hacks that will do what you're looking for concerning the display of avatars and sigs, *if* I can get them to work.

I hear you. Getting the hacks to work is always a fun job.

Yeah, it's especially more troubling getting them to work where CPGNuke is concerned. I just found a new hack, IF this one works as advertised it will be great.

Every user will have the following options:

Display avatars - Yes/No

Display signatures - Yes (text and images)

Display signatures - Yes (but with no images)

Display signatures - No

Yeah, it's especially more troubling getting them to work where CPGNuke is concerned. I just found a new hack, IF this one works as advertised it will be great.

Every user will have the following options:

Display avatars - Yes/No

Display signatures - Yes (text and images)

Display signatures - Yes (but with no images)

Display signatures - No

Site note, this could be an ugly hack to get working. It requires making changes to the user's table in the database, which can cause problems all over the place. Might be a while before I can work through it all.

That's cool, no rush if it helps the server. :)

Site note, this could be an ugly hack to get working. It requires making changes to the user's table in the database, which can cause problems all over the place. Might be a while before I can work through it all.

Progress update:

Display avatars - Yes/No (Works 100%)

Display signatures - Yes (Normal board setting, I haven't broken it...yet)

Display signatures - Yes (no images) (Buggy, still looking at it, partially works)

Display signatures - No (Works 100%, no text, no images, nothing)

These settings apply to viewing a topic, AND when viewing PM's. Once I get the bugs worked out I think I'll apply the settings to the "view user's profile" page too, unless there are any objections.

Alright guys, it's up. It's not perfect, but it's close enough that it'll serve its purpose. Just head to your account, go to change info, and you'll find a couple of new options down at the bottom of the page right above the avatar settings.

I'll expand on the previous post a bit for those that haven't read the entire thread...

The display of Avatars and Signatures can now be controlled from within your user profile, and can be controlled separately.

Avatar display can be set to "Yes" to display them or "No" for no avatar display.

Signature display has 3 options:

"Yes" - will display full signatures, this includes text and images. This is the forum default setting.

"Yes, no images" - will still display text and links, but will not load any images. (This is my favorite setting)

"No" - will totally disable the display of signatures.

If you don't already know, your user preferences can be accessed by using the "Account" link at the top of the page and then navigating to "Change Info". At the bottom of that page you'll find the Avatar and Signature display settings. Make your desired choices and be sure to click the Save Settings button before you leave.

If you find any bugs (which I know there are) please post them in this thread and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks and enjoy,

snepp

I'll expand on the previous post a bit for those that haven't read the entire thread...

The display of Avatars and Signatures can now be controlled from within your user profile, and can be controlled separately.

Avatar display can be set to "Yes" to display them or "No" for no avatar display.

Signature display has 3 options:

"Yes" - will display full signatures, this includes text and images. This is the forum default setting.

"Yes, no images" - will still display text and links, but will not load any images. (This is my favorite setting)

"No" - will totally disable the display of signatures.

If you don't already know, your user preferences can be accessed by using the "Account" link at the top of the page and then navigating to "Change Info". At the bottom of that page you'll find the Avatar and Signature display settings. Make your desired choices and be sure to click the Save Settings button before you leave.

If you find any bugs (which I know there are) please post them in this thread and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks and enjoy,

snepp

OK I have signatures set to YES

and I get to see some Sigs and others just have the word image that I can click on to see it

Untitled-297.jpg

am I screwing something up?

I love you. I may actually start visiting more than once a month now that I dont' have to wait so long for every topic to load.

8O Well, uhh, errr.....thanks? I think? (I may officially ban the use of the phrase "I love you" permanently from the forum) :lol:

I've got a blazing fast cable modem (when I'm not getting disconnected) and I can't stand having all those images. Makes reading threads a whole lot easier too.

Archived