Problem: Can't See Game/video, But Can Hear Audio

adam2kennedy

When I start the game, it opens a black window up and I can hear the game audio (menu noises, etc.) but all I can see is the black window and the white mouse arrow.

Here are my specs (which meet the minimum requirements as far as I can tell):

XP Home Edition

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz

122 GB

Writemaster DVD drive

Video card, All-in-wonder 9600 series

Anyone else have this problem or know a solution? Thanks.

Well, I have a 6 year old Sony and the website has a disclaimer that recommends not upgrading the PSU as it can damage the motherboard and/or the person installing it.

I have a Fan connector that runs from the motherboard directly to the PSU and I was told that does not need to be reconnected if I upgrade but I am afraid that it is there for a reason and it might just fry it.

Well, I have a 6 year old Sony and the website has a disclaimer that recommends not upgrading the PSU as it can damage the motherboard and/or the person installing it.

I have a Fan connector that runs from the motherboard directly to the PSU and I was told that does not need to be reconnected if I upgrade but I am afraid that it is there for a reason and it might just fry it.

That's a standard warning used by companies so that if you do try to install one yourself, you can't sue them and say you didn't know it was dangerous. They're just covering their bases legally. Installing a new PSU into a system is no more likely to cause injury to anyone than plugging the power cable into the wall. All you're doing is disconnecting the existing cables from your other components, unscrewing it from the case, putting the new one in it's place, then screwing it back in and reconnecting the cables.

you guys played mvp for too long... you need to upgrade your rigs once in awhile. some of the stuff ive seen questions about is stone age. I use my computer for numerous tasks and i like to play todays games. memory is dirt cheap now and a good video card for $80. AGP is at the end of its run an ATi HD 3650 is about the highest you can get for that but it will run this game on high settings. I have a 360 that mostly gathers dust that im thinking about selling.Fallout 3,COD world at War,Crysis Warhead & Farcry 2 are excellent on a good PC. I'll take that over a console anytime.I am having a great time with 2K9, to me it was well worth the price of admission. BTW, I am an oldguy i mean really old guy who loves pc gaming.

That's a standard warning used by companies so that if you do try to install one yourself, you can't sue them and say you didn't know it was dangerous. They're just covering their bases legally. Installing a new PSU into a system is no more likely to cause injury to anyone than plugging the power cable into the wall. All you're doing is disconnecting the existing cables from your other components, unscrewing it from the case, putting the new one in it's place, then screwing it back in and reconnecting the cables.

Well that's pretty good to know.

I know there is a cable that runs from the motherboard directly to the fan itself but the one from the board to the PSU made me have second thoughts about changing it myself.

So I really should not concern myself with the wire running from the motherboard to the PSU?

Well that's pretty good to know.

I know there is a cable that runs from the motherboard directly to the fan itself but the one from the board to the PSU made me have second thoughts about changing it myself.

So I really should not concern myself with the wire running from the motherboard to the PSU?

The one that goes from the motherboard to the fan is most likely to be the fan power cable. If it uses independent power for the CPU, it will have 2 cables going tom the motherboard to the PSU - one will be a 4-pin 12v cable that provides power to the CPU, the other will be a 20 or 24 pin ATX cable that provides power to the motherboard. Most, if not all, PSUs come with the same cables, some have even moved on to being modular, so you can disconnect cables you don't need rather than have them connected and wrapped up, taking up space and blocking airflow.

The one that goes from the motherboard to the fan is most likely to be the fan power cable. If it uses independent power for the CPU, it will have 2 cables going tom the motherboard to the PSU - one will be a 4-pin 12v cable that provides power to the CPU, the other will be a 20 or 24 pin ATX cable that provides power to the motherboard. Most, if not all, PSUs come with the same cables, some have even moved on to being modular, so you can disconnect cables you don't need rather than have them connected and wrapped up, taking up space and blocking airflow.

Thank you for your help.

I have been looking online and found a PNY NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400 GS.

This card would be compatible correct? I am just trying to find the best card out there that is not PCI-Express for my system once I get a new PSU.

Thank you for your help.

I have been looking online and found a PNY NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400 GS.

This card would be compatible correct? I am just trying to find the best card out there that is not PCI-Express for my system once I get a new PSU.

No problem.

I have no idea - I'd need to know what type of system, and therefore which motherboard, you have, in order to check if it's compatible, but as long as your motherboard has a PCI-E 16x slot, it should be fine. Given that it's 6 years old though, it might just have an AGP slot.

No problem.

I have no idea - I'd need to know what type of system, and therefore which motherboard, you have, in order to check if it's compatible, but as long as your motherboard has a PCI-E 16x slot, it should be fine. Given that it's 6 years old though, it might just have an AGP slot.

The motherboard is an ASUS 430 or 450 and I do not have a PCI-E slot.

Thank you for the response.

I am having a problem trying to locate either a AGP or PCI card since my PSU is only 295 Watts.

I have a 295 and bought a Radeon 2400 HD Pro at Best Buy for $90 two weeks ago. It's worked pretty well, although I think I'm killing my PC with the smaller power supply.

The motherboard is an ASUS 430 or 450 and I do not have a PCI-E slot.

In that case, you'll need either an AGP or a PCI graphics card, which, in all honesty, may turn out to be less cost effective than just building a new PC.

Archived