Outfield Losing It

mjvbosox

My apologies if this has already been addressed here, but I've looked around and haven't been able to find anything...

I've been playing a franchise for about 30 games using the same sliders (subtle tweaks to JR's) and suddenly, over the last six games or so, my outfielders have begun missing more easy fly balls than they catch... most often is when the ball is hit directly at them and they're already in the circle. Whether I tap the stick or just let them sit there, they don't do anything and the ball sails right over them. I've lost three consecutive games due to this (even adjusting the fielding errors all the way down to 0) and am about fed up with this game. Again. We all know there are still some post-patch bugs, but this is by far the worst, as it ruins the whole experience, especially when it happens at least once an inning. Is this happening to anyone else?

Also, side note: Does the announcer mention a hitting streak for EVERY hit? Either continuing a streak or starting one?

I agree. I've had simple fly balls bounce next to and past my outfielders. Adding this to the slow motion outfielders that can't get to fly balls has made me stop playing my franchise for the most part. These occurences usually cause a big inning and really **** me off. :o :angry:

I agree. I've had simple fly balls bounce next to and past my outfielders. Adding this to the slow motion outfielders that can't get to fly balls has made me stop playing my franchise for the most part. These occurences usually cause a big inning and really **** me off. :o:angry:

That happens to everyone, i think there working on it for the next patch

man 2k makes me mad sometimes <_<

That happens to everyone, i think there working on it for the next patch

man 2k makes me mad sometimes <_<

do we KNOW they are making another patch? as of yesterday I saw nothing from 2K that said they were going to do it, despite the number of complaints.

To solve this problem is to add the very simple option of auto-field as in MVP 2005. It would seem we should have the same type of fielders that the CPU seems to enjoy. I've posted about this over at the 2K site but it seems they really do not care about that.

But I really think that the PC users are more indepth about the game than the console people. The console guys seems to be happy to have nice graphics and play a few online games and boast about being the best players around where as the PC people seems to want the hardcore realism of baseball. I have to keep remembering this game is a port from a console game and until a "true" PC baseball game comes out we will be stuck with the kiddie type nice spuce up graphics with no type of realism added. That's my opinion.

Just something funny to add here. I've seen a few post over at 2k forums asking about what the sliders really mean and I've yet to see anyone with a answer that seems to qualify as true, for that matter even an answer. Nobody from 2K has even gave us a clue as to what this means are what the scale does or does not do. But I regress back to the first paragraph here, the console people really could care less as long as the graphics looks pretty.

I really do wish that auto-fielding was an option. I play MVP that way all the time because human error can always happen and the AI doesn't screw up. Why should we make errors when the computer can't? There are quite a few features that we would have gladly paid for instead of the budget 20 dollar special that we were given.

I really do wish that auto-fielding was an option. I play MVP that way all the time because human error can always happen and the AI doesn't screw up. Why should we make errors when the computer can't? There are quite a few features that we would have gladly paid for instead of the budget 20 dollar special that we were given.

It isn't like the consoles got it either... The ONLY difference is they get multiplayer, live (inaccurate) rosters, and get to pay $40 more.

I've ended up compensating by slightly lowering the CPU hitting sliders and just accepting those outfield misses as "hits". I'm hoping for a third patch addresses this as well as a few other key items. The game isn't far away from being very fun.

I have noticed that changing the dynamic indicator to "locked" greatly reduces the OF glitch AND outfielder slow down. OF play has been much smoother.

The only time I have trouble is when a hard liner is hit right at the OF, the OF get "locked in" immediately and you cannot move him, and occassionaly he doesn;t put his glove up .... but it is rare.

It's worth a shot.

Clearly, he lost it in the lights. *eye roll*

OF's in MLB do miss balls lke that and do sometimes have trouble picking it up (even causing Paul O'Neill to kick a ball to his cutoff man, 'member that highlight from when he was on the Reds?) .... but, that's not the reason why it happens in 2k9. The 2K series has always had cumbersome/troublesome OF play. IF play is pretty good, but OF is both laborsome and a guessing game.

On 2k8, when you atempted to rob a HR, there were multiple results that could happen, [1] you could catch it, [2] it could go off your glove and either ( a ) bounce back into play, ( b ) bounce over the wall, or [3] not make contact altogether. I thought that was a pretty good feature.

2k9 is similar to 2k7/8, in that the potential is there, and it is "oh so close, yet so far away". They're like the Cubbies ... everything is "right there" to be a great team ... yet they're always waiting till next year to "put it all together" .... only to repeat the process. There is alays something non-functioning or poorly working that keeps the game at 6/10 or 7/10, instead of the 9/10 potential that it has.

Plays like that seem to happen once every 10 games or so for me, and fortunately to this point, have not been game-changing. I guess I've been lucky. It is frustrating and embarassing, but it hasn't (so far) ruined the game enough for me to stop playing it. The really irritating thing is when it happens in back-to-back games and you wonder "why?" b/c you're not doing anything differently than you usually do. It'll appear in a game (or two) then not happen for a 10 game stretch (or so), repeat.

Clearly, he lost it in the lights.

lol, I hear you man. Sad thing is, it's way too many times a game. But you're right, at least with 2K9 they're close. The looks and sounds are in place, just clean up the bugs and the menu interface and they would have a decent product.

The only thing that keeps me from throwing it in the trash can is the fact that a 3rd patch may be in the works. For whatever that's worth. :)

ouch, Yeah i get the same things happening to me. I wish it happened one outta ten times. It's more like 1 out of 3 games for me. First day with the patch I had back to back plays. It is a shame because I could of easily lived with all the other imperfections.

I dont know if this is fact or I'm going nuts (most likely the latter) but I have not had an issue with it since I turned off the dynamic landing zone AND when my outfielder gets close I dont touch the stick at all.

The fielder seems to adjust and go into the catch animation just fine. However thinking back on it when I was tinkering with getting in the right spot (adjusting for wind as an example) I would delay the catch animation causing the ball to sail by before the player got his glove up.

IF it's the animation it may be possible to do an animation fix, such as what was done with double plays in MVP, probably look like crap, but may be worth looking into if anyone has that kind of expertise?

I dont know if this is fact or I'm going nuts (most likely the latter) but I have not had an issue with it since I turned off the dynamic landing zone AND when my outfielder gets close I dont touch the stick at all.

The fielder seems to adjust and go into the catch animation just fine. However thinking back on it when I was tinkering with getting in the right spot (adjusting for wind as an example) I would delay the catch animation causing the ball to sail by before the player got his glove up.

IF it's the animation it may be possible to do an animation fix, such as what was done with double plays in MVP, probably look like crap, but may be worth looking into if anyone has that kind of expertise?

I dunno if I've tried that, but I will right now.

I have noticed that changing the dynamic indicator to "locked" greatly reduces the OF glitch AND outfielder slow down. OF play has been much smoother.

The only time I have trouble is when a hard liner is hit right at the OF, the OF get "locked in" immediately and you cannot move him, and occassionaly he doesn;t put his glove up .... but it is rare.

It's worth a shot.

I agree CircleChange, the dynamic indicator locked made a huge difference. I just started doing that about 10 or 15 games ago and can see the difference already.

I've tried it all. To me, it seems the 'vacuum' effect fails at certain times. Most of the time, you can see the player lock onto the landing indicator, but sometimes it clearly doesn't. In this case, sometimes the fielder will raise his glove, sometimes the ball will hit him square in the chest. The part that drives a person crazy is that it's all so random. You literally have to hold your breath each time the ball is hit into the outfield, and just pray that the game "works" this time. Line drives to the outfield seem to confuse the PC as well, players slow down getting to the ball, or just don't even attempt to catch it whatsoever.

I'm no game coder, nor do I claim to have any experience, but this seems to be a very slight issue that wouldn't require a complete makeover to fix. I agree with rolie, if it weren't for this particular bug, I'd probably go ahead and play the game for the entire season. Great presentation all the way around.

It's not that I don't want to play it, I just can't play something that's obviously broken.

Archived