Our Game: A Fantasy Dynasty

azn_man

I was watching Our Game: the Latino Influence on Baseball, when I thought of an idea for a dynasty. Where would baseball be without Latino players? I'd say a good 40% of major league players today are Latino. I decided to do a dynasty where none of my teams, from MLB to Single A could have Latino players, as a tribute to Latino players past and present and to show how much an impact they have had on the game.

Fantasy Draft- random order, MLB,AAA,AA,A

Team- Houston Astros

Difficulty- All-star

Datafile- Jim825 Combo v 5.0

Mods- KG Baseball Rosters (edited slightly), Trues MLB Overlay 08, custom sliders

Team: (in drafted order)

David Wright

Tim Lincecum

Matt Kemp

Clint Sammons

Ryan Theriot

Erik Bedard

Dan Uggla

Jayson Werth

Kevin Youkilis

Jeremy Accardo

Marcus Thames

Jesse Litsch

Tommy Hanson

Nate McLouth

Chris Tillman

Sean Marshall

Brandon Morrow

Brad Hennessey

Chone Figgins

Eric O'Flaherty

CJ Wilson

Landon Powell

Jeff Samardzija

Burke Badenhop

Joe Smith

I've played two games already and will have those up later today.

I decided to do a dynasty where none of my teams, from MLB to Single A could have Latino players, as a tribute to Latino players past and present and to show how much an impact they have had on the game.

How is having no Latino players in your lineup a tribute to them? Are you trying to lose games so that it becomes apparent that you would better off with Latinos on your team? Doesn't make much sense to me.

He's not trying to stir up trouble with this dynasty. By deleting Latino players, I believe the author is trying to show what an impact Latino players have had on the game, today.

That's the way I saw it too.  

Sounds intersting, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Just my opinion here ...

Rather than excluding Latino players from your team (which has seemingly sent the wrong message to some folks), I would go the other direction, and draft ONLY Latino players to demonstrate just how great of a team you could make, and have a reasonable budget .... since often Latino players have as much, if not more, talent than others, but are often signed for much less.

For example, a 21 year old Latino prospect isn;t likely to have Scott Boras as an agent, as a top college prospect might, and therefore is likely to produce as much on the field, for much less cost.

Granted, eventually, the Latino star players will command big money ... but when they're prospects, they're a steal, namely because of their desperate situation and/or lack of demanding agent. Hopefully, that comment doesn;t sound racist, but it's been well known for decades that you can find a lot of cheap talent in the Domincan, PR, Cuba, etc. THese guys will sign for peanuts, and you can sign them as early as 15 or 16 (or at least used to be able to). THe Dodgers and Expos, as two examples, did this quite a bit. Some organizations tend to avoid Latino players because they tend to be free swingers, namely due to the only way you get noticed in the areas they are from, is too put up big offensive numbers or to be flashy on defense. The trend for many organizations is to focus on stats like OBP, which the typical Latino player is not going to excell in, since earning walks doesn;t bring scouts ... the combination of speed and power does.

Archived