Video Card

Homer

Speaking of friggin' Dell.

I went to their site, and found which cards are compatible with my Dimension 4700. Once I figured out which were supposed to work, I looked for them on other sites to find one cheaper. I Bought one of the better ones (one that I knew would play at least last years game, since there weren't any specs out for 2k10), and saved $15 bucks getting it at Newegg.

You'll never guess what happened next...

It wont work in my PC, because the power supply isn't big enough.

So I went back to Dell to try and figure out which power supply would work in my system. They tell me I can't upgrade, or it will damage my system.... How the HELL are you gonna recommend a graphics card for my system that wont work without an upgrade, and then tell me I can't do that upgrade?

Anyway, someone pointed me in the direction of a company that makes Dell Specific power supplies, and I ordered one. Problem is they are hard as hell to get a hold of, and I am waiting on this site to get a new shipment of TWO. That's all he can get. Luckily one of the two is what I needed, and he is gonna get it to me a soon as they receive it.

Anyway, I just wanted to rant about it a little.

Yeah, that's a little...odd. Other than physical size in the case, any power supply should work with any system. All it does is provide power. Of course, if the physical dimensions of the PSU are specific to a certain type of case, like the one Dell supplies, then yes, there could be a problem, but damage the system? I don't think so. You could put a 1000 watt PSU in a system that is only using 200 watts and it would be fine. There is no way a high-wattage PSU will damage a system. The system will only consume what power it needs to run.

If it works out cheaper, and if you're comfortable with components, it might work out cheaper to buy a cheap generic case from a local computer store and move the components from the Dell system into that case, then you can use a standard PSU in the system.

Also, if you know the name of the person you spoke to at Dell, ask for their manager's contact details and e-mail them, advising them to stop hiring idiots.

Yeah, that's a little...odd. Other than physical size in the case, any power supply should work with any system. All it does is provide power. Of course, if the physical dimensions of the PSU are specific to a certain type of case, like the one Dell supplies, then yes, there could be a problem, but damage the system? I don't think so. You could put a 1000 watt PSU in a system that is only using 200 watts and it would be fine. There is no way a high-wattage PSU will damage a system. The system will only consume what power it needs to run.

If it works out cheaper, and if you're comfortable with components, it might work out cheaper to buy a cheap generic case from a local computer store and move the components from the Dell system into that case, then you can use a standard PSU in the system.

Also, if you know the name of the person you spoke to at Dell, ask for their manager's contact details and e-mail them, advising them to stop hiring idiots.

It showed his title, and his title was manager.... How about that....

Anyway, Dell has different connections than most PCs, and just any old PSU will not work in one. At least on some of the older models. Not sure about current ones. I found that out by doing a bunch of research on different PC help forums (forums dedicated to answering peoples PC questions, and issues is what I am trying to say.).

Jim825 pointed me in the right direction, as far as finding a Dell specific PSU.

I stand corrected, my apologies. I forgot Dell used to use proprietary connections in the old systems. Thankfully, they've moved away from that now.

Hope you get the PSU soon. :)

EDIT - Oh, as for the manager title, that doesn't surprise me, other than that they actually put a manager on to answer technical queries in the first place. Dell are notorious for putting non-technical employees in technical manager roles. When I was there, my manager was a self-admitted technophobe. They (used instead of he/she for obvious reasons) only knew what we told them (again, he/she) about computers, had to be told why certain troubleshooting was important, and had no technical history whatsoever.

Yeah, the guy was an idiot. One word answers, and no explanations.

I finally got fed up and just straight up asked if they had anything that would work in my damn Dimension 4700, and upgrade my PSU to at least 350 watts? Damn isn't the exact word I used. Might have a been a little more harsh...lol

Anyway, another one word response.... "No".

I went off on him and disconnected.

By the way, I was using the live chat, and not on the phone.

EDIT: As far as getting the PSU, I am trying to contact the guy today to see when they expect it in. He keeps telling me it'll be there soon, so I don't know exactly when. Hopefully I can get an answer today. I'd like to try 2k10.

Sounds like a manager. He probably didn't explain anything because he doesn't know anything himself. You're not the first to do that, and won't be the last. It was a rather popular pastime at Dell during lunch breaks to...let's say "access" the live chat. Access to live chat for Dell employees, plus the Outlook directory of every Dell employee, plus access to the Dell logging database...yeah, some fun times were had. :)

Archived