Took The Plunge

DaveCenker

Well, I took the plunge ... purchased the PC version of 2K10 along with an XBOX controller for a total of about $60. I actually sat in Best Buy for about 30 minutes playing MLB 10 The Show on the PSP. I have purchased that game for the past 4 years on the PSP. With the elimination of online play, roster download, and the fact that the game basically appears to be a rehash of 09 with new rosters and schedules, I have decided to opt for something new.

As a big fan of MVP back in the day, I am looking forward to getting back to the PC realm while still enjoying my 09 MLB The Show version on the PSP when I am on the go. I'm looking forward to the evolution of this game as it is obvious there is a strong commmunity behind it with some momentum in its favor ...

I just got this game a couple days ago and went home to play it. I decided to re-install windows XP since my Windows 7 RC was resetting every 2 hours. After wiping my entire PC clean and re-installing all the drivers for all my hardware, I hear a strange pop noise and my PC dies. I assume my PSU went. :( The problem is that I'm moving in 2 days and I don't have the cash for a new PSU till next week.

So, long story short (too late), I've been staring at the game box wishing I could play for a couple days now. I was so desperate for a baseball game that I was playing Baseball Stars for NES on my netbook PC for hours last night.

I just got this game a couple days ago and went home to play it. I decided to re-install windows XP since my Windows 7 RC was resetting every 2 hours. After wiping my entire PC clean and re-installing all the drivers for all my hardware, I hear a strange pop noise and my PC dies. I assume my PSU went. :( The problem is that I'm moving in 2 days and I don't have the cash for a new PSU till next week.

So, long story short (too late), I've been staring at the game box wishing I could play for a couple days now. I was so desperate for a baseball game that I was playing Baseball Stars for NES on my netbook PC for hours last night.

That sucks, if the PSU went it could of fried your motherboard. It happened to me

That sucks, if the PSU went it could of fried your motherboard. It happened to me

Not to mention that it also could have fried anything else on the mobo i.e. RAM, GPU, ect. Best of luck and hopefully it's just the PSU. I would also check the mobo for any bulged capacitors and the like.

Well, I took the plunge ... purchased the PC version of 2K10 along with an XBOX controller for a total of about $60. I actually sat in Best Buy for about 30 minutes playing MLB 10 The Show on the PSP. I have purchased that game for the past 4 years on the PSP. With the elimination of online play, roster download, and the fact that the game basically appears to be a rehash of 09 with new rosters and schedules, I have decided to opt for something new.

As a big fan of MVP back in the day, I am looking forward to getting back to the PC realm while still enjoying my 09 MLB The Show version on the PSP when I am on the go. I'm looking forward to the evolution of this game as it is obvious there is a strong commmunity behind it with some momentum in its favor ...

So, how do you like the game so far?

Have it myself and absolutely love it. I have none of the problems that some people seem to have. I can hit doubles and triples,i can steal bases...its great!!

It still needs some things though, like a check swing, classic batting.

One thing i would like to know and havent figured out yet : how do i know the speed of my runner at first base? I have been stealing with some players, sometimes sucessfull, sometimes not.

Would be nice to know the speed of your player before you attempt to steal, just like in mvp.

Besides that i really really enjoy the game.

One thing i would like to know and havent figured out yet : how do i know the speed of my runner at first base? I have been stealing with some players, sometimes sucessfull, sometimes not.

Would be nice to know the speed of your player before you attempt to steal, just like in mvp.

When you get a bas runner, pause it. There should be a diamond representation of the bases on the bottom of the screen, with their speed next to their name. Would be nice if there was another way to check it without leaving the game, but alas, I have found none.

Unfortunately, I am not having as much fun with this game as I have anticipated thus far. Most of the issues I am having is not with performance, but rather with playability. I am having a heck of a time with adapting to and configuring the controller. I am using a MadCatz XBOX 360 controller on a PC. Perhaps it is my affinity with 'The Show' for the past 4 years, but I am having a real difficult time understanding how to pitch correctly. Forget about pitching *well*, I simply don't understand the process that I need to go through in order to throw an effective pitch (and it doesn't seem to explain this in the manual). I have tried going through the drills on pitching to no avail.

I really want to like this game, but I am having trouble gaining some momentum. If anyone knows of a good area to learn the controls, I am all ears. Not having played this game for the past several years, I don't have the history to understand all the semantics of how to control my batter, pitcher, and baserunners.

On a side note ... as a Rays fan, I love that they have added Evan Longoria's walk up music as a track in the game ...

Dave

I am having a real difficult time understanding how to pitch correctly. Forget about pitching *well*, I simply don't understand the process that I need to go through in order to throw an effective pitch (and it doesn't seem to explain this in the manual). I have tried going through the drills on pitching to no avail.

Dave

This may not make total sense, so if it doesn't I can try to clarify. When I started, I noticed that I was getting a horrendous amount of "bad gestures". The best cure I've found for this, using the sticks anyway, is to do the 1st part of the motion "hard" and the second "soft". I will use an example to illustrate. Also note, this doesn't seem to be the case for FB or Change as the motions are simply linear. Seems to me to mainly affect pitches using arcs.

Take a 2-seam FB for example. First motion is up, second is 90 degrees left. If you actively "push" the control stick through the entire motion, you will inevitably get a bad gesture for either going beyond the arc or because it registers the stick return as part of the motion. I've found that it is much more successful to push up and then flick, rather than push, the stick through the arc. Seldom do I get bad gestures that way.

This of course could be my controller. Just seems that the second part of pitches, for me anyway, require finesse on the finish motion. Just seems much more sensitive than in past years, and I'm using the same controller. Hope this helps, and I'd be glad to try and explain it better if I made any of this unclear.

Thanks Norag ... I will give that a shot. It seems as though the game has a tremendous amount of potential (especially given the modding community here). I think I understand the hitting aspect and was able to go through the hitting drills successfully ... now onto the pitching. As long as I know that I am going through the right process, I am willing to put in the time to practice. I will take your tips and see if my results get better with time and practice ... thanks again!

This may not make total sense, so if it doesn't I can try to clarify. When I started, I noticed that I was getting a horrendous amount of "bad gestures". The best cure I've found for this, using the sticks anyway, is to do the 1st part of the motion "hard" and the second "soft". I will use an example to illustrate. Also note, this doesn't seem to be the case for FB or Change as the motions are simply linear. Seems to me to mainly affect pitches using arcs.

Take a 2-seam FB for example. First motion is up, second is 90 degrees left. If you actively "push" the control stick through the entire motion, you will inevitably get a bad gesture for either going beyond the arc or because it registers the stick return as part of the motion. I've found that it is much more successful to push up and then flick, rather than push, the stick through the arc. Seldom do I get bad gestures that way.

This of course could be my controller. Just seems that the second part of pitches, for me anyway, require finesse on the finish motion. Just seems much more sensitive than in past years, and I'm using the same controller. Hope this helps, and I'd be glad to try and explain it better if I made any of this unclear.

Fully agree there. I hardly get any bad gestures at all, i did get a lot of weak pitches in the beginning. I always tried to do the second part of the gesture as quick as possible, causing me to make mistakes. Now that i do it more slowly im starting to throw pitches at max.

My only problem is that i am a lefty..i do everything lefthanded so i sometimes have trouble using the right stick. The funny thing is its easier for me to perform gestures that go left to right, then right to left. The lefty pitches in this game have sliders and curveball for which the gesture usually goes left/righ, or centre/right. Lol, i'm a lefty so i pitch better with lefties, gotta love that. I have the most problems with the sliders and curves, but i guess thats realistic too.

Dont give up cause in this game practise really makes perfect

When you get a bas runner, pause it. There should be a diamond representation of the bases on the bottom of the screen, with their speed next to their name. Would be nice if there was another way to check it without leaving the game, but alas, I have found none.

Thanks for the quick reply Norag, will check that out tonight right away!

I only have the demo for PS3, so maybe things are different, but the pitching seems too easy to me. It pretty much tells you where to place your cursor, and then it actually shows the motion you need to follow with the stick once the pitch is selected. If you follow the motion it shows you, I rarely get a bad gesture. And, as long as you let the circle get full before you start your gesture, it wont be a weak pitch.

When I first started to play the demo, I thought I had made a mistake by getting The Show instead of getting this for PC. I really enjoyed it. But, the more I played the demo, the more I realized that this game just doesn't even come close to The Show.

Now, maybe it would be different if I had the full game, and could change some options (the demo pretty much is what it is), but since the PC version will not even let you use classic controls, I think I am still in "waiting" mode to see if a patch ever gets released to fix some of the issues.

If I had a PS3, no question I would own The Show. Unfortunately, I do not own a PS3 and only own a PS2/PSP. They have since taken away the online aspect on both of these systems which eliminates the ability to play others online as well as downloading official roster updates ... quite a bummer.

I want to give MLB 2K10 a fair shot and intend to do so, but if I had a PS3, I would certainly own 'The Show' as well ...

Well, i have a ps3, and mlb 09 the show.

The game looks great, but somehow i dont like the gameplay. I played the show 07 and 08 on playstation 2 as well, so maybe i'm just bored with it.

I have to agree about the pitching though. Played my 2nd franchisegame today......another shutout, this time with Brandon Webb.

I did make mistakes but wasnt punished. Guess i have to do some things with sliders, or up the difficulty. I won 3-0 and the runs came late.

Now some criticism about this game.

First of all...the Padres left fielder did the most beautifull Home run robbing climb against the leftfield wall i have ever seen (wish i knew how to do that, since my controller doesnt seem to respond when i press the button, and my player just runs into the wall) and there wasnt even a replay!!!!

Also in the game wrap up, this play wasnt even shown. On top of that, the the Pepsi cluth player of the game was Adam Laroche........he was 0-3 with a groundout and 2 flyouts. It is amazing to see how 2k can do part of the presentation so damn well such as the broadcasting...and totally screw up something else.

i'm certainly not going to watch the game wrap up anymore. But besides that i'm still enjoying the game very much. Cant wait to play another game....wait, why dont i do that right now :D

3rd game in my franchise...won 6-1.

Pitching is way to easy now. Easy in the fact that the cpu lets go a lot of good strikes low in the zone.

Its very easy to get them in an 0-2 hole. I upped the contact and power slider for the cpu...but now they start first pitching swinging a lot more. Had a 4 pitch inning because of that. This is NOT good.

I'm going to look around for some sliders cause i need more opposition from the cpu.

Pepsi clutch player was again way off.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this makes sense, I've been doing a lot of tinkering around with different pitch breaks and locations and maybe I've lost my mind.. but read anyways

We'll use a Powercurve for example, starting @ 8oclockish and going to 2o'clockish.

When you move to 8 o'clock, we all hold it steady for a split second while the power of the pitch builds up, right? What I've been noticing is when I rotate the analog stick back towards 2o'clock if I hold it steady when I get to that location-- and then while still holding it there I watch the pitchers arm and try to let it release back to the center of the analog when he would be releasing.

What I have noticed is the closer I get to the stick returning to the center of the analog @ the time my pitcher releases it there is a much greater and noticeable influence on the break and movement of the pitch.

Even with fastballs. I get about 3 mph more out of my fastballs on pitches when I try this method.

Maybe worth a shot? Lemme know if you think I'm crazy.

Archived