Uniform Modding Help

Misopogon

So I've been modding uniforms:

4451534381_d57994573d.jpg

I've made several alternates for the Mets, and used some of the '09 mods to make better '10 mods (1926 Tigers, except with better-looking socks), and also a bunch of alts for the Erie Seawolves.

But I keep running up against some repetitive problems:

1. Whenever I try to change the letter styling for the player names (in Nba2k10ModTool) the entire .iff file either empties all of the other .dds res pages (e.g. the uniform page). This is true if I upload a .dds to the texture page or the drawing page. I mean it gets really screwy: like half of the uniform page gets replaced with half of the uniform from the .iff that the letters originated from (so if I steal the Yankees' lettering and put it on the Tigers' uniforms, half of the Tigers' uniforms are now Yankee uniforms!) Anyone else have this problem? Any workarounds? It's worse if I put in a file I have edited, but it still goes bananas with simply exported and imported letters.

2. How do you turn on/off player names and front numbers for a particular uniform?

3. Any tips on how to add textures (other than simply copying the element you want to texture onto the texture .dds?)

first what paint program are u using?If your trying to change lettering from one type of uni onto another most of the time it wont work right,u may get a players name that looks like its a foreign language .For example say ur using the template of a pullover uni and ur using the lettering of a button up shirt then chances are its not gonna come out right.Also alot of times i will save the file as a png,or jpeg.Reload the new file then resave it as a .dds and then just importing it back in modtool usually that clears up problems.

To have no names or no numbers open up ur paint program.Then use the eraser tool and wipe away the lettering and or numbers.It must have the clear background

(white and grey squares)to not show up in game and make sure u do the same on the green screen as well or u will see the stitching bleeding thru.

ive been wanting to learn how to add the stitching etc in the green screens but cannot find any tutorial anywhere.Ive searched green screens ,bump mapping etc and just cant find the answers.Im not even sure what the green screens are actually called so i could be searching with the wrong keywords

somewhere in the uniform file it has details for how many pixels each letter gets. His is how different uniforms files can have different size letters

the letters image is 4096x128, but if you look at the right side of the file at the top you will see what looks like a corrupt image. That might to the detail for size and location. Problem is when you reconvert the image after editing it you lose the info. It may look the same but the binary info the game needs has changed.

I was working on a uniform editor but that unknown info has me stumped for the moment

here is what I do know

they're 396 uniforms and 8 different types of uniforms

I have 1 (textures only) type mapped out (this type consists of 154 uniforms)

You can control name and number sizes (I have not found where yet)

You can control name and number position (I have not found where yet)

You can control Logo size and position (I have not found where yet)

Just like NBA you can control these aspects (well I'm assuming), if you look inside a uniform file you will find

post-237-127014882349_thumb.png

Just like in a NBA uniform

Someone released a NBA uniform editor for those tweaks, but I can find no info on what it does, I know it changes hex values inside the file but I would like to find where people were doing it by hand before the editor was released.

Undershirts are controlled by a core iff for each team, one ONE undershirt for all uniforms for a team

Of the 3 IFF editor I've played with none import the images (13) without ******* up.

ive been wanting to learn how to add the stitching etc in the green screens but cannot find any tutorial anywhere.

I played with that for a few minutes

convert image to gray

Convert image back to RBG

Copy image

Copy to channels green & alpha

black out channels Red & Blue

On green channel

filters -> Stylize -> Emboss

Amount 50%

Height 1

Angle 0

On Alpha channel

Amount 50%

Height 1

Angle 90

It is not 100% the same as 2k's but it is close. I'm not good a Photoshop, you should be able to tweak it and get it perfect. Once you do post how you did it

The angles are right I'm sure of that

i see where your going with tthis and from what little i know as work on these mods, it makes since, excpet one thing. on the undershirt/long sleeve matter, what hads you thing there file within the core per team that controls it. the reason im wondering about that is there are teams that uses different colors with there uniforms, depending o which uniform your talking about, so i not quite sure how that would, but would be sets that match up within the core to match with each uniform. at least the logic seems ok.

Thanks for the help.

I'm using GiMP, which is superior to Photoshop for two remarkable reasons:

1. It's free

2. It has the words "DON'T PANIC" written in large, friendly letters at the top of the program.

There has to be an on/off function somewhere, since the Yankees' jerseys have player name letters mapped.

My personal terminology for the "green screen" is "texture map." I just made this up.

well i thought id be smart and use a phillies template since they had a red undershirt and the braves uni that i just did called for a red undershirt.Even though i used a phillies file and just renamed mine to the braves,it still gave me the black undershirt so that tells me that the undershirts have to be somewhere else thanx kraw ill see if i can figure it out lol

I played with that for a few minutes

convert image to gray

Convert image back to RBG

Copy image

Copy to channels green & alpha

black out channels Red & Blue

On green channel

Amount 50%

Height 1

Angle 0

On Alpha channel

Amount 50%

Height 1

Angle 90

It is not 100% the same as 2k's but it is close. I'm not good a Photoshop, you should be able to tweak it and get it perfect. Once you do post how you did it

The angles are right I'm sure of that

Don't do any of that, it is a bad way to do it. Instead

2K's green image is a "Normal Map" in DXT5nm format (nvidia makes a free normal map plug-in for photoshop)

So take your Normal Map and

Move RED channel to the Alpha Channel

Black out the Blue and Red Channels

DXT5nm Compression

DXT5nm is the same file format as DXT5 except before compression the red channel is moved into the alpha channel, the green channel is left as-is, and the red and blue channels are blanked with the same solid color. This re-arranging of the color channels is often called swizzling.

The Green and Alpha channels are used because in the DXT format they are compressed using somewhat higher bit depths than the Red and Blue channels. Red and Blue have to be filled with the same solid color because DXT uses a compression system that compares differences between the three color channels. If you try to store some kind of texture in Red and/or Blue (specular power, height map, etc.) then the compressor will create more compression artifacts because it has to compare all three channels.

Archived