Sony'S Dash Personal Internet Viewer

I am very curious about this thing. I understand that it can access the internet and that sounds good. The price for this is $199.

Here is the page for the Sony Dash right here.

My question is does anyone in here know about this? Do you yourself own one or do you know someone that does? What do you think about it? Pros and cons. Would you recommend it? Any opinions are welcome of course.

Thank you.

I read that link...and I still don't know what the hell it is. :lol:

Maybe I'm missing something, but what does it do to justify the $199 price tag? Is it some sort of competitor for the iPad?

I just read the Wikipedia page for it (here), and I think I get it now, but I don't see what it can do that a netbook can't do, and a netbook would seem to be a hell of a lot more compatable with...well, damn near everything.

Sony seems to be making a big deal out of the "over 1,000 free apps" thing. Get a netbook and you'll have over a million free apps, as well as a choice on whether or not you want to install others that aren't specifically vetted and approved by [insert company name here]. Look at the iPhone/iPad for an example of why having 1 company decide what users should and shouldn't be using is a bad idea.

The best part is that it's not even portable. The only battery it has seems to be a standard CR2032, which is the backup for the internal clock.

Oh, and try and use it outside of the U.S. and guess what? Lockout!

So, yeah. First impressions...not great. :lol:

Mark we were thinking along the same lines. I read this link and I didn't know exactly what this thing is either. Oh boy. :unsure:

Finding out that it isn't a portable device sealed the deal for me. I won't be getting one now. I was looking at this because of the price and also the option to get on the Internet but if I can't take it out of my house then what is the use?

You my young genius friend have saved me $199 plus shipping costs just in case I would ever get this in the future. Now I won't. And it won't be an iPad. I have my principles.

Mark we were thinking along the same lines. I read this link and I didn't know exactly what this thing is either. Oh boy. :unsure:

Finding out that it isn't a portable device sealed the deal for me. I won't be getting one now. I was looking at this because of the price and also the option to get on the Internet but if I can't take it out of my house then what is the use?

That's what I got to thinking. It might be named "Dash" (and I'm sure it's not an accident that people may see the similarity to that and "dashboard", as in, on a car) but if it's not portable (excepting the use of a car adapter which goes into the lighter socket) and only gets internet access via wifi (at least with a netbook you can boot to a copy of Backtrack and find an unsecured wifi point, or one with WEP or WPA that can be "accessed"), then what's the point? I guess I could compliment tthe photographers for managing to hide the power cable by strategically placing the unit in the photos on the site, but I don't think common sense deserves $199.

You my young genius friend have saved me $199 plus shipping costs just in case I would ever get this in the future. Now I won't.

Genius? Me? Haha, yeah, and Kermit the frog is a nuclear physicist. :lol: I'd recommend not going on just my opinion, or anyone else's for that matter, look around and see what else you can find out about it, it may match your requirements in other areas. I always recommend getting multiple opinions and finding out what a device can actually do (and sometimes more importantly, what it can't do) before buying it, especially with how expensive gadgets are getting these days. In today's world, no-one can afford to read just one opinion on something. There are plenty of companies out there who will happily pay a blogger - in one way or another - who gets a lot of attention to possibly give something a slightly higher rating than normal, or to spread favourable opinion.

And it won't be an iPad. I have my principles.

Thank God. Anyone who buys that crapola deserves to have it inserted in their rectum sideways, pulled out by razor wire, then smashed over their heads.

(This message was brought to you by the Asus Eee Tablet. Asus - Inspiring Innovation • Persistent Perfection.)

Archived