Ideal Laptop

Homer

okay peeps, give me some ideas. here's the scenario:

you have $2500 to spend on a laptop--this is max, including tax and shipping. i want to use it to learn video editing, as well as the usual things geeks like us would use it for. what would you go with and why? i'd like to get an idea of some possible configurations, so feel free to talk about the cons as well as the pros.

If portability isn't an issue (i.e. you don't mind carrying a gigantic, heavy, heavy, heavy laptop), I've been fantasizing over the Sager NP9280 for a year now:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9280-built-clevo-d900f-ultimate-custom-laptop-p-2577.html

It has a 16:10 ratio 1920x1200 screen, which means you can edit 1080 video AND still have screen space for taskbars, etc. It has a desktop-level i7 processor, so it will fly, and the GTX 285 is a monster video card. It can do anything you need, as long as you are strong and plan on plugging it in everywhere you go.

Well I'm not one to go out and blow 2500, but if I did, I would NOT spend it on a Dell or HP...simply for the fact that Dell has horrible customer service, horrible components in their laptops, and skimps on all the security for their laptops. I've had 2 HP laptops as well and I'm not rough on them at all...I have had issues with both since day one. If one thing doesn't break, it's another, or the other! I probably use my laptop 10 hours a week and I've gone through both in 3 years. I just got a Toshiba and so far, it's great...but I'm not sure how well Toshiba fairs in the 1,000+ market. Those are my tidbits...but hopefully the laptop you find works great for ya!

Archived