New To Game, Mod Installation Help Needed

Schneider21

I'm new to the 2k series (long time The Show fan, though), and just picked up 2k10 for PC yesterday. I love the ability to mod the game, but I have to admit, I'm very confused by how to do all this stuff. Specifically...

• Rosters - From what I read, some rosters can't be used to start a new Franchise? Or maybe that was portraits. Either way, I'd be interested in getting a hold of a lovely roster that has as current as possible full MLB teams with accurate minors. Most of what I've seen appears to be team specific rosters, which is cool and all, but I'm sure someone's done a full one. Any tips on where to find what I'm looking for?
  • Portraits - Same thing goes here. A lot of team specific ones. They all look fantastic, honestly, and I don't mind downloading them separately, but finding one that matches up with the roster kind of confuses me. Obviously I don't expect the minors to be portrait'd here.
  • Stadiums - As much as I'd like an "All-in-one" pack of the 2010 stadiums, I realize why this won't happen. The individuals who worked on the 2010 versions did a great job and deserve the credit for doing them. I want them all, though, so this leads me to...
  • Portraits and Stadiums - Although the portrait installation looks complicated, I think I can handle it. The confusing part is Can I install more than one portrait pack/stadium? I ask because the instructions for installing a stadium involve replacing a single stadium file with the modded one. So if I replaced that file with another one, won't that undo the previous stadium I just put in? If anyone can clear this up for me, I'd appreciate it.

Really, if someone could just give me sort of a general step-by-step guide on what order/method I should engage in to get current players with portraits and the updated stadiums, I'd be extremely grateful.

With the rosters, you just have to look - I know Mispog posted one with the players and portraits updated, but those will blow up your computer (no certain idea why, but knowing him, it's true). The stadiums are just a download, copy and paste into the folder (make sure to back up your files AT ALL TIMES) so that pretty much answers your questions...I am however going to go see why Mispog's rosters and portraits will blow up your computer, so I will report on that when either a) my computer blows up or B) when I find out the only reason is because the minors are all screwed up :D

You can do updates either of two ways. One, download what others have done. Two, learn how to do it yourself. Make backups of any file you replace or you'll have to extract them from your DVD. I made an Excel file to keep track of my updates so I know what I installed or still need.

Stadiums, you can only replace the existing file. The updated stadiums have real advertisements. Many of 2KSports' have fictional advertisements. If you want to use either files you'd have to copy the file to the game folder before starting the game. This would apply to any uniforms also. Otherwise you can create batch files to do the swapping.

Uniforms, we can't add new uniforms (or stadiums). We can only replace the originals.

Portraits, they are linked to the roster. Each player has an ID which is linked to the portrait and cyberface. If you mismatch you'll have wrong faces and portraits.

I'd suggest you download others work. If you are still interested you can learn how to edit later. Experience with modding other games is a plus. You need to know a graphic program such as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. You need to download various editors and tools. But that's a whole new post or posts.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I started playing around with the downloads, and I see where I was confused with the stadium thing. I thought it was just one file that contained all the stadiums, and I see now that each is its own file. Downloaded a bunch of them and can't wait to see the ads. I'm originally from Altoona, PA, so seeing a Sheetz ad at Blair County stadium is going to be sweet as an MTO and a Jones cola. :)

I also stumbled upon Misopogon's roster/portraits, and I too was confused by the warnings against explosions. I can't tell if it's supposed to be a joke thing or what, because what sense would it make to release a pack that makes computers explode?! Let me know your findings, SSX. Also, I'm particularly interested to see how accurate the Phils' roster is, with all of our injuries and such.

Well I just used Miso's portraits and rosters in both an exhibition game and in a new franchise, and it didn't explode, but I also did 'CPU Optimize' them to fill any holes or anything that may cause the crash - all the teams have 25 players according to TyWiggins editor, so I figured if I optimized the rosters, it'll fix any issue, and it obviously did, but that's not to say you may run into problems later. So if you do use his pack, the portraits are in 2 parts (a CDF and an IFF) and just copy and paste those into the big folder (back up the two origs) and then install the roster in your C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\MLB2K10\Saves\Roster.ros and then when you load the game, go to the roster area and optimize the pitching rotations and the batting order (should be a button but not sure of which one it is at the moment) and HOPEFULLY it will work - like I said, worked for me, so HOPEFULLY it will work for you.

Note: I am not responsible for your computer blowing up

:D

Excellent. Now the only (current) problem I'm having is that I'm on Windows 7, and I don't seem to have an AppData folder that the instructions indicate I should put the roster file into. I looked all through my user folder and don't see anything 2k related. Any idea where my game saves to, then?

actually with uniforms u can access all original and modded unis,all u need is the generic mod enabler tool.U can actually keep the originals in the main folder and make a MODS folder where u can have the modded stuff in it.Like i can access the originals or run the mod enabler and have my unis enabled or if i want i can enable mccoll's unis or misopogons works,Very very useful tool without having to replace files all the time.

AppData is a hidden folder so if you know how to unhide folders you'll see it. It should be under your user account (ie My Documents if you are familiar with pre-Vista folder setups)

Ah. Should have guessed. Thanks!

actually with uniforms u can access all original and modded unis,all u need is the generic mod enabler tool.U can actually keep the originals in the main folder and make a MODS folder where u can have the modded stuff in it.Like i can access the originals or run the mod enabler and have my unis enabled or if i want i can enable mccoll's unis or misopogons works,Very very useful tool without having to replace files all the time.

That would be very convenient to have. Where would one get their hands on this? I looked in the Tools and Editors category and only see the NBA2k thing.

Ah. Should have guessed. Thanks!

That would be very convenient to have. Where would one get their hands on this? I looked in the Tools and Editors category and only see the NBA2k thing.

Generic Mod Enabler: http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html

Very helpful. And one last question while I'm here, to save having to make a separate thread for it.

Using an Xbox 360 controller (or keystroke), how do I adjust my lineup as a game is loading? The screen says to press Enter, but hitting either the main Enter results in skipping the intro, and the numpad Enter seems to do nothing.

Very helpful. And one last question while I'm here, to save having to make a separate thread for it.

Using an Xbox 360 controller (or keystroke), how do I adjust my lineup as a game is loading? The screen says to press Enter, but hitting either the main Enter results in skipping the intro, and the numpad Enter seems to do nothing.

On that screen, hit the START button to access the lineups.

Hadn't thought of that! :p Thanks a bunch!

Also, I tried playing with the roster/portrait set mentioned in franchise. Everything simmed fine through Spring Training. 3 batters went around, and when the fourth stepped up, it crashed. Strange...

As for rosters check out mine grmrpr13 latest rosters.

The most accurate up to end of May.

All minor leagues done as well.

Stadiums youve found, jerseys I would recommend spending $5 and go to Spungo's website.

Over 650 jerseys and counting $5 does you all updates for the entire year.

LATER

GRMRPR13

As much as I want new rosters/portraits, every set I've tried so far has caused CTDs during a game. I'm back to using the most recent 2k ones now, and everything's fine again. I guess I'll just have to deal with fake minors and blank faces until I know what I'm doing more.

You know what would be fantastic? A guide that walked a new person like me all the way through the process of starting with a clean version of the game and getting updated user rosters, portraits, stadiums, overlays, etc... Any takers? :drinks:

Archived