First Game You Saw

LoGatto

i started watching baseball in 1970 because of the pirates and reds were in the playoffs and watched all games at school.Was then i became a pirates fan and even though its been rough they still are my fav team.Finally saw my first actual game because my mom and i took a trip to texas to meet my grandmother,an aunt and some cousins.They took me to see houston play the reds.I remember the astros won with cedeno hitting a homerun in the game but what was odd was johnny bench played 3rd base that day.This was in june of 1974 and i had a broken arm from playing baseball in wet grass and both my feet slipped as i went for a grounder and snapped my arm.Been to many many games at 3 rivers stadium.1978 went back to texas in the army and saw many games at the dome and also many rangers games.Because of prices i kinda quit going to games but 2 years ago i finally had a chance to take my boys and my step daughter and fiancee to see pnc park for a pirates and cubs game.Beautiful park in which i hope to go again

• 2 weeks later...

I remember my Dad taking me to see Pete Rose, Jr. make his major league debut against the KC Royals in one of the first interleague series the Reds ever played at old Riverfront/Cinergy. Saw a pretty good mix of talent, from Deion Sanders to Bret Boone, and a young Johnny Damon. I remember we missed Pete Rose, Jr. getting his first major league hit because we were in line at the concession stand... The Reds lost, but it is still one of my favorite childhood memories, and that began my agonizing childhood as a Reds fan in the late 90s and early 2000s.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199709010.shtml

i cant recall exactly what year it was or who they played, but i went to my first game at kaufmann stadium to see the royals, i do remember the game ending in a walkoff win for the royals though. weird thing here, ive seen 3 walk off wins for the royals in person out of 7 games ive been to lol. on a side note, my first minor leauge game i saw was in 2003, wichita wranglers vs tusla drillers i think it was.

The first game I ever saw? That's easy. It was a doubleheader at Baltimore against the Chicago White Sox. The date was July 14, 1972. It was a birthday present for me. Of course my mother got bored and my sister (nine at the time) got antsy and we never made it to the end of game two. We were down in Virginia that summer visiting relatives and then we went to Washington, D.C. to see the historical sites there.

This was my first time being in a major league ballpark and I couldn't stop looking around. It really was a step up from the AAA stadium that I was used to back home.

The Orioles won the first game 7 - 4. What I recall about that game was the long home run hit by Richie Allen but I had forgotten that he went 4 for 5 in that game too.

Much to my chagrin, the Orioles won the second game too by a score of 3 - 0. My first taste of major league baseball and these SOB's had to ruin it for me. And to make matters worse, they did it on my birthday. Which is why to this day I hate Baltimore as much as I do Boston. Game two featured a home run by Bobby Grich of Baltimore, who the year before in AAA Rochester was the Red Wings MVP. I clapped only for the ex Red-Wings on the Baltimore team that day. Why did I want Baltimore to lose? Because they were in the Yankees division, that's why. What would you expect from young little Y4L in training? :)

Note to Dylan: You don't have to look this one up my friend, not with my memory. :lol: And I hope you are feeling ok.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a tough one to answer. All I can say is it had to be a game with the Rangers at old Arlington Stadium back in the early 70's. Yes, its a vague answer, but its the best I can do.

I do remember, though, watching Hank Aaron get his record breaking homerun and the 1975 series between the Reds and Red Sox. I seem to remember that several games were rained out in the series, and the most memorable play was Carlton Fisk's homerun in game 6. Link to the video: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=3224115

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, Yankee4Life, the first game I attended was also on my birthday -- July 13th -- in maybe '65 or '66 (I'm too old to be embarrassed for being on this site) at Connie Mack Stadium for the Phillies and the Dodgers. My father took me with a few of my friends, and he was unpleasantly surprised to find out it was a doubleheader!!

The concessions were pricey, but nowhere near the 5x-7x street price you find today at Yankee Stadium. Anyhow, Don Drysdale beat the Phillies, I got to see Sandy Koufax toss the ball around on the side (he retired after '66, so I suppose just seeing him in uniform counts for something), and my father insisted on leaving after the 6th inning of the 2nd game so he could beat the crowds/traffic.

As an adult, I make a point of never leaving before the last out and always with that early departure in mind -- even though there wasn't much to miss that day. I didn't really hold it against my dad at the time. He'd intended to leave early from the FIRST game and gotten stuck because of the 2nd, so the joke was still on him.

I don't get to the ballpark on my birthday anymore as, I'm sure you've noticed, the All-Star Game (or break) now coincides with that week. My son's is the week before, however, and living in New York now I made sure at 4 years old he knew something special was happening on TV when David Wells was throwing the final pitches of his perfect game.

Archived