West Coast Alert!

MrGravyard

Massive material formations in space create their own circumferential gravity. This is why the earth does not spin out of range of the sun, nor the moon the earth: the large masses hold the smaller masses within their gravitation sphere. At the same time, the smaller masses also influence the large with their own dynamic gravitational force . . . this is evident by the rise and fall of the ocean tides concurrent with the moon.

Nevertheless, the orbits of these smaller masses or not perfect: the moon sometime drifts closer or farther from the sun, as does the moon to the earth. With respect to the earth and the moon, this causes irregular tides as a result of irregular force of relational dynamic gravity. In other words, the moon pulls on the surface of the earth stronger when it is closer, and lesser when it is farther.

Because the moon is closer right now that it has been in some time, the force on the earth's crust is worrying many geologists: is there enough tension in the tectonic plates that the further disturbance of the moon's gravitational pull will cause an earthquake? According to the above geologist, this has already happened twice, and could happen again soon on the West Coast.

Since moving to San Diego, CA from Racine WI, I have to admit that I find earthquakes extremely unnerving: tornadoes you can run from, hurricanes you have warning, but earthquakes quickly start and stop in a matter of several seconds with no warning and influence the entire area around you to which you might flee: there's no point to try and get away from it.

Just last easter, and again in August, we had nearby (50-100 mi) quakes of 6.2 and 6.5 which rattled windows and knocked over shelf objects . . . its creepy to hear and feel the ground shake violently under your feet.

Anyway, I think I'll break off this post and stand in the middle of a large farmers field for awhile . . .

~Chris

Archived