How Did I Make My Pitch Movement Arrows Disappear (And How Do I Get Them Back?)

BHunterSEAL

I think this is my first post on here, just want to say I appreciate what you guys do for us MLB PC players out there, really increased the enjoyment I got out of 2k11 and now 2k12. I've been using a bunch of different mods from many contributors, and you all do a great job. Pena, especially (this post is borderline directed at you, as the issue I'm having is one of the onfield display things you have worked on).

What I am confused about is how I made the arrows on the pitching cursor disappear--the yellow ones around the baseball ghost that are supposed to show ball movement. This issue is unique to 2k12, I didn't have that problem in 2011. I haven't seen those arrows since I got the game, although I have seen them in videos online of people playing. I don't know if it's a modding issue or a 2K issue: I don't recall playing as a pitcher before I started modding the game.

For mods, currently on 2k12 I have both the AL and NL stadium packs, Pena's accessory mod, the MLB Experience broadcast overlays, and Pena's Onfield Display mod running. I read the directions very carefully and copied the gamedata.iff from version 3 of that mod, which says explicitly that it has retained both the cursor and the arrows--my cursor is still visible, the arrows are not.

The reason I am posting this here, however, is because I don't think my problem is related to the Pena display mod. I over-wrote his with the original gamedata.iff from the game installation DVD (it's in the second .cab file, the huge 470ishMB one, if anyone is wondering). Although his other changes went away, the yellow pitch movement arrows are still missing. Because gamedata.iff controls whether or not they are shown, I doubt it could be caused by any other mods I am using, as they do not replace that file.

This leads me to believe it is a bug with the game itself, or an option I have inadvertently toggled buried deep within the dozens of configuration menus in the program. I've tried about a dozen permutations of Yes/No Catcher Suggestions, a number of different presentation options, Classic and Total Control modes, Pinpoint and Breakpoint Aim, all to no avail--I can't make the arrows come back.

Has anyone else experienced this? Either with or without mods--like I said, I think this is an issue I'm having with the game itself. I'm sort of desperate for a solution because I prefer breakpoint aim while still having some idea of where the ball will end up--a lifesaver in 2k11.

Someone on 2K's forum reported seeing this happen with a bone-stock vanilla install, and another person confirmed it. It was an intermittent issue for each of them, though, not a constant.

I use Version 3 of Pena1's Onfield Display Mod as well, and my cursor and arrows appear as they should. But, I don't have DS's MLB Experience mod installed... If I'm remembering correctly, Pena1 said the MLB Experience mod should be installed before his Onfield Display mod. Perhaps you did it the other way around?

Well I wasn't remembering correctly. It was Pena1's Accessories Pack for which he said we had to install DS's MLB Experience mod first since the two mods share a common file: global.iff. DS's MLB Experience Mod and Pena1's Onfield Display Mod don't have any files in common.

You might be onto something by suspecting files outside of gamedata.iff. While gamedata.iff contains the icons, I don't know what file determines when those icons are displayed. Still, a few people on 2K's forum reported this issue claiming they had no mods installed at all, so mods may have nothing to do with it. Maybe the people experiencing this issue have something else in common. I have no idea what that could be, though...

I know this would be an unpopular suggestion, but has anyone experiencing these problems tried a full uninstall and then re-install of the game WITHOUT any mods at all? I think that is the only way to establish if it is something in the game or a mod. But I think too many of us aren't experiencing this for it to be something in the basic game. I supposed it could be hardware-related, but the variation in hardware is going to make that hard to nail down.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just ran into this problem....it started to occur when i started adding uniform mods into the game....can't seem to get them to work, but i did notice that the settings in game for my logitech game controller had no bindings for the right stick, (pitching stick). it won't allow me to pitch...

now i'm finding that the left stick is trying to do what the DPad is doing, controlling my bullpen and fielding alignments, while the DPad is doing the Left stick's job, and the right stick still doing nothing..

i feel like this is just an issue of getting the game controller correct?? might try a clean install tonight.