Losing My Pc!

furball

My daughter is back from a year of teaching in Japan. This makes me tremendously happy, because I love her and really enjoy her company.

It's a disaster, because I've ben using her PC to play MLB2K12 and she wants it back.

My PC is an old pre- PCI Express bus machine that cannot support the graphics cards that use shader 2.0, etc, so it cannot run MLB2K12. (Yes, I've tried.)

I have never owned a console, like the XBOX or PS3. But I have an opportunity to get a PS3 under warranty from a local Gamestop with the MLB2K12 disc AND the MLB The Show disc for a very reasonable price, plus a warranty and a "no questions asked" return policy. I can afford this used PS3, whereas I just CANNOT afford a new PC at this tme.

Questions: Has anyone here used the PS3 version of either MLB2K12 or MLB The Show? Can you somehow export a .ROS or .XFG file from the PS3 to a PC in order to use Ty's editor or Redit? I would think not, because I'd imagine the file formats are different, but I use Ty's editor a lot, so I thought I'd ask. Alternatively, is there anything like Ty's editor or Redit available for the PS3?

For example, Ty's editor and Redit allow you to change a player's primary position and edit his energy, while the in-game editor does not.

On a more general note, does anyone have any experience with comparing the PC version of MLB 2K12, with MLB2K12 on the PS3 or MLB The Show on the PS3? What are the up or downsides of running a franchise in either of those games on the PS3 as opposed to MLB2K12 on the PC, which is what I'm used to?

Thanks for your thoughts!

My daughter is back from a year of teaching in Japan. This makes me tremendously happy, because I love her and really enjoy her company.

It's a disaster, because I've ben using her PC to play MLB2K12 and she wants it back.

My PC is an old pre- PCI Express bus machine that cannot support the graphics cards that use shader 2.0, etc, so it cannot run MLB2K12. (Yes, I've tried.)

I have never owned a console, like the XBOX or PS3. But I have an opportunity to get a PS3 under warranty from a local Gamestop with the MLB2K12 disc AND the MLB The Show disc for a very reasonable price, plus a warranty and a "no questions asked" return policy. I can afford this used PS3, whereas I just CANNOT afford a new PC at this tme.

Questions: Has anyone here used the PS3 version of either MLB2K12 or MLB The Show? Can you somehow export a .ROS or .XFG file from the PS3 to a PC in order to use Ty's editor or Redit? I would think not, because I'd imagine the file formats are different, but I use Ty's editor a lot, so I thought I'd ask. Alternatively, is there anything like Ty's editor or Redit available for the PS3?

For example, Ty's editor and Redit allow you to change a player's primary position and edit his energy, while the in-game editor does not.

On a more general note, does anyone have any experience with comparing the PC version of MLB 2K12, with MLB2K12 on the PS3 or MLB The Show on the PS3? What are the up or downsides of running a franchise in either of those games on the PS3 as opposed to MLB2K12 on the PC, which is what I'm used to?

to my understanding there is no way to use ty's editor and export any form of the mlb2k12 or the show files off the ps3. by far hands down the show is your option to go with period,, if your getting a ps3. i have not played the 2k13 on the console, but mlb the show 12 and 13 are great games. as a matter of fact if you get the mlb show 12 you might be able to visit operation sports forum and still download the various classic rosters made by knight and others, or you might be able to get the show 13 and get tons of classic rosters for it.

Well I hate to be one of "those" people, but as soon as you play MLB The Show on your PS3, you'll want to break your MLB 2K12 disc into a million pieces. MLB 2K12 and 2K13 is an alternative to those less fortunate to own a PS3, but not even a good alternative. I've played all the 2K version and The Show versions on various consoles and I always go back to The Show. So yes, being one of those people, avoid 2K12 and 2K13 on the PS3, because your PS3 will hate you for it. :)

SeveredSoluX is right, The Show is way better than 2K baseball games, so get the Show ASAP, or even better, just tell your daughter that her PC is now yours hehe, because she spend a year in Japan wth the technology over there maybe she won´t like his PC anymore

Furball,

The 2K12-2K13 versions of MLB on the PC are pretty good with all of the great mods; but honestly those same games on console (X-Box/PS3) are terrible in comparison. The graphics/colors look all washed out and you don't get the benefit of the tremendous cyberfaces/stadiums/uniforms/scoreboards that are in the PC version (with mods of course).

It's a no-brainer to play any version of the Show if you own a PS3. If you even use MLB 12 the Show; you can still download a ton of classic rosters (via the Roster Vault). I've downloaded about a dozen different season rosters for the game that range from 1956-1994 for myself. You have at least a handful of classic stadiums to play in and you can always use the throwback/classic uniforms for whatever team you like to play with.

-Dennis

Thanks for the responses. but I realized I forgot to ask an even more important question: can you edit player attributes like control, power, potential, etc., in MLB The Show? Looking through the menus, I've found a player edit choice that lets you edit a player's home run swing, miss swing, and other animations. But I've seen no menu that let's me change, say, Posey's "Contact vs. Right Handed Pitchers," for example.

A tip I'd read online suggested that to get the max contract for a player was to edit him so he was 99 Overall, then offer him a contract. This led me to believe that you could edit batting and pitching attributes. Am I wrong?

Hey furball,

I am actually going to purchase MLB 13 The Show tomorrow since it went down to $39; but I own the 2008 to last year's game and I know for a fact that you can edit all of those attributes you mentioned. The edit player feature is quite comprehensive and I would bet that they didn't take those features out of the new version.

Here's a screenshot of the edit player screen (for Posey) from MLB 12 The Show to illustrate some of these attributes that are changeable:

I hope this helps in your decision.

MLB12TheShow_15_zps6844e7f4.png

No problem furball, after you load your roster; it's the 2nd Column (drop down) from the left. You'll see other choices such as "Roster Control" and then below that, you'll find "Edit Player". Then you can scroll (with the L2 & R2 buttons) through different teams and then press "X" when you find your player you want to edit. Again, this is how it is for MLB 12 the Show and MLB 11 The Show (similar menu layout); but I am certain that it's very close to the way MLB 13 The Show is.

Ok, I realize that this discussion of The Show for the PS3 is an odd thing to have in a thread of MLB2K12 for the PC. In fact, until I was logging in ust now, I figured I'd thank Dennis in this thread and then send him a PM with my thoughts and questions about the show.

First, Thanks, Dennis! I found the editor for attributes. That said, I'm gonna post the rest of my thoughts here because it'ss possible that other baseball afficianados might do what I did; to whit, buy a PS3 for no other reason than to play a baseball game that is still being actively supported by a company (Sony) that often outperforms its competition in terms of customer support.

First, I had numerous issues getting my hardware hooked up. The PS3 uses either HDMI output for sound and audio, or an "AVI" output that uses phono plugs (also called RCA jacks) - one for video and two for stereo. My monitor is DVI, thus no audio. And if you hook up the PS3 HDMI output through an adapter to a DVI monitor and then use the PS3'ss AVI output to connect to audio, the operating system freaks out. It expects both audio and video to go out through one or the other. You CAN get around that, but it took me and my daughter's boyfriend 20 minutes on Google to figure out how.

That wasn't the only issue. During wireless network setup, there comes a point after you've entered your SSID for the network where you're offered prompts to either edit the SSID you just entered or cancel out completely. You are not told that you have to hit the right button on the DPAD to continue on. Minor, but very frustrating, 'til you go find the ONE Google link that points out this glitch. PS3 has been around long enough to have fixed this sort of nonsense.

Now, the game: Fine graphics, realistic player and ball movement. Sliders that let you "goose" the player and/or CPU batting, pitching, fielding, baserunning just like 2K12 does and better than EA did. And there seem to be a lot more "ball routes" for both hits and outs, so you don't have so many incredible running catches in the outfield because the random number generator decided that you hit the ball well, but it's still an out. And runners stretching for that extra base seem to have a more realistically tougher time of doing it than either EA or 2KSports implemented. There's also the easy, medium and complicated verson of pitching, hitting, baserunning and fielding so that you can either punch a button or two, or really get into the hand-eye coordination thing.

The AI also seems deeper than either EA's or 2KSports'. Both in pinch-hitting and in handling relievers, it made more (and better) moves than either of the other two games - though I'm only basing that on 3 full games so far.

Now, menus. Probably because I played EA Sports 2005 for 7 years, it became my standard. MLB 2K12 is pretty good at presenting historical statistics AND the data you want at your fingertips during the critical hitter vs. pitcher matchups. What I've come to expect is to hit one button to show me the lefty-righty matchups coming up, with contact and power numbers, hit another button to see what the current batter has done, and maybe another button to quickly check the status of my bullpen.

I'm brand-new to The Show, but I'm hitting one heck of a lot more buttons and getting less info in those critical situations. In a nutshell, it seems like Sony decided there's only one path through the tortuous menu system that leads you to lefty-righty info, and even in the middle of a game, the single-key choices you have to inspect the current batter-pitcher situation only show you a very small part of the equation. I won't go into depth, since it'd get confusing, but it seems like Sony went even further than 2KSports with the attitude, "We showed that data over there in that menu path, why should we make the same data available at the touch of a button in the middle of a game?" I realize there are memory issues, etc., but you get the impression that even though the programmers were careful to get the data and the physics right, they never went through the Zen thingy we do when we're actuallly playing an entire season, but need to focus down easily into a particular situation with as much info as we can get with as little hassle as possible.

As just one example of that shortcoming, the key you hit to pause the game during pitcher vs. batter shows you the opposing lineup, but does NOT put the batting average or even the HANDEDNESS of the players on that display! (And there is plenty of room on the screen for that info.)

The voice-overs are ok, maybe not quite as good as 2K12. (I'm in the S.F. Bay Area, so I thought 2005's Kuiper and Krukow were great.) The edit screen s you can get to for players (which is a little hard to find) gives you a HECK of lot of data points to set shoe colors, equipment, and all sorts of eye-candy choices for players - far more than MLB2K12 out of the box. I was disappionted, however that you can only edit bout half or 2/3rds of the attribute data that affects how a player performs.

The Show also is LOT more stringent about contracts, free-agency, 40-man rosters, waivers, etc., than MLB2K12. You are NOT going to be able to blithely move some guy between Triple-A and the majors at your whim. Fortunately, they include a lot of info in their help files about all the byzantine baseball rules governing contracts, but it's a hassle that you can't turn off.

The game also seemed a little "arcadey" to me, with it's awards of XP for in game activities, trophies for accomplishments and even a bonus for guessing the next pitch. Maybe many follks like that, but as a Franchise nerd, it seemed a littly foofey. The game has a very good analogue to MyPlayer mode in 2K12 and a pretty nifty online "card game" sort of competition.

There are lots of musical tracks for walk-up music, etc. You can record fan chants on a player-by-player basis. Sony is obviously paying attention to both the die-hard number crunchers and the modders. I've only had a console for 24 hours, so I have no idea what the "community" is like, or what support it can provide.

Now, Dennis - or anyone! - a couple of questions:

Can you add your own MP3 or other types of sound clips to the music available in game? This is the 1st game that did it well enough to make me wish that I could easily add my own sound clips.

Saving games,. . . WHAT A PAIN! Every time you change a piece of data and then go to some other menu, the game wants you to save what you've done. Fine. BUT, the save is done by saving your team and date as the identifier. So in a very short while, you have 20 Franchise files named Giants06281313345, etc. Yes, that means each save is a new file name, so you have to keep going back and deleting the individually named files as you are almost forced to create new ones with every edit. IF THERE IS A WAY TO JUST GIVE A FRANCHISE A SINGLE NAME AND HAVE EACH SAVE JUST OVERWRITE THE PRIOR FILE, I WOULD LOVE to hear it.

Enough griping. I have 6 more days to return this PS3 (and The Show) to Gamestop for a full, no questions asked refund. Fair enough.

Hey furball,

YES, absolutely you can change the entire jukebox music AND virtually all sounds/music clips in the game. With the jukebox music, just grab a thumb drive and put your set of jukebox mp3s in a folder (I call mine MLB the Show music). Then plug it into your PS3 and copy the folder to the hard drive (under the music section/column). Now go into the game and find the Jukebox section in the menus. You can turn on/off the existing music by checking the boxes next to the default song titles. Now go into the Playlist editor and you'll see your new songs you copied on the left hand side and when you press the X button, it moves it to the right hand side which is your custom playlist.

Also the GREAT thing about the SHOW is that you can download a boatload of team-specific music and sounds and add them to the game the same way as the jukebox music. Then you go to Sounds of the Show and you can assign the Yankees HR siren when they hit a HR, assign the song clip when a team wins or loses a game, or even the song clip that plays when a relief pitcher runs out to the mound. Later today I can send you a ZIP files that has tons of these sounds/song clips that i downloaded last year. It makes an already superior baseball experience even better. I played my first baseball video games on an Intellivision in the early 1980s and hands down, the SHOW (despite only a few minor quirks) is the most realistic experience I've ever witnessed. When i first played it in 3D when MLB the Show 11 was released, i thought i was going to pee my pants because it was phenomenal.