Pitchers' Speed Attributes

Gordo

Not sure where else to put this but I'm looking for feedback on MLB pitchers who can run well.  This is for future roster updating purposes as currently all the pitchers are set at 43, typically, for run speed.  I'm not looking to do anything ultra-specific, but unfortunately pitchers are not included in the present StatCast sprint speed page (which is pretty interesting):  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard

I'd be looking at maybe 5 categories:

Gazelle:  85

Respectable:  70

Average:  55

Slow:  40

Lardass:  25

Something like that.  As I posted in the chatbox, a bit of feedback from reddit for fast pitchers are:   Joe Kelly, Stroman, Travis Wood, Edwin Jackson, Arrieta, Chapman, Carlos Torres, DeGrom, Samardzija, Clay Buchholz (though that may have changed).

I just noticed on that site the Exit Velocity and Launch stats that if you pitch around 35-45 mph then you get no hits leaving the infield! :o Knowing this, if I were a scout, I would be looking for pitchers that throw at this speed rather than in the 100 mph range.

Well, maybe I was asking too much here, but this website does now allow me to put in more statistically driven numbers for the speed attribute in the MVP rosters.  However, the few teams that I have converted base on their numbers leaves me scratching my head.  For example, Altuve and Maybin end up being an 83 for speed in the game, yet were in the top 10 for stolen bases.

• 5 months later...

I'm going to bump this since we've had some new members come to the site.  Wondering if any other insights on this.  Pretty much this would be just from observations as I don't think there are any discernible stats for this.

Archived