High Heat 2003 and controllers

tinpanalley

8 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

Since it's a legacy game (2003), change the mode from X-input to D-input on the front of the controller and the game should detect it without issues.

Oh, I only have this controller for D-input where the 360 controller has issues. It just won't work. Bizarre. I may have to go and get an F310. I like these Logitech controllers, compatible with everything and fit nice in my hands. Just hate that I have to buy ANOTHER controller.

8 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

What's a legacy game?

Legacy in this case refers to games that used to use D-input controllers. It's basically to do with how they handled the x and y axes before there were trigger buttons. Basically, a contemporary controller that has X-input has trouble because it wants to give a range of values to the trigger buttons rather than a straight 'pushed' or 'not pushed'. So older games can't see what RT and LT are trying to do. Gets very complicated.

1 hour ago, Yankee4Life said:

What's a legacy game?

Any game made past Windows Vista. XInput is the new DirectX gamepad standard that started being used over DInput (DirectInput) after the Xbox 360 was released. It's safe to assume any game made/developed in 2006 and beyond supports XInput if there's gamepad support.

XInput is supposed to give games the ability to support trigger functions and pressure sensitive input over basic input like button presses and directionals that DirectInput would provide.

44 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

No problem. I'd have to dig for a non-wireless controller that's cheap. I might just pass on 2002 and 2003 altogether in this case.

The F710 doesn't have a D-input switch? Try unplugging it, changing the input switch, then plugging it back in. I already struggle with being able to not use my Xbox One controller for HH 2004, so I feel this pain.

50 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

The F710 doesn't have a D-input switch? Try unplugging it, changing the input switch, then plugging it back in. I already struggle with being able to not use my Xbox One controller for HH 2004, so I feel this pain.

No, no. You must have missed my reply before. It does have the switch and furthermore, I only have this controller for D-input where the 360 controller has issues. But still, even on the D-input setting, it just won't work.
Just hate that I have to buy ANOTHER controller so I'm probably gonna just pass on picking up 2002, much as I'd love to try these classic rosters. I guess I do have Total Classics in MVP, can't really complain.

Ok, interesting development...

I ran a HH2002 demo on my dualboot on Win7 and I set the compatibility settings to Win98/ME and the controller was actually acknowledged in the game. Ok, so I need to play in Win98 compatibility if I want the game to run with the wireless controller. But then, the game crashes with DirectX issues. ...sigh...so frustrating.

tiny update: 2003 playing fine. Good game.
2002 demo now sees the controller all the time as well. But freezes EVERY time it goes to load the demo exhibition game. If this is gonna happen it will be tough to justify buying the game on Amazon as I'm unlikely to be able to return it once it's opened.
So questions...

1. Does anyone know if that demo from the time was buggy at all?

2. Is there a special way to run 2002 on Windows 7? Every sompatibility mode freezes on the loading screen.

Thanks guys!

Ok, another update only because I can't be the only person who's ever gonna come across this issue and my online searches for the past four days are proof that NOBODY else is talking about this online but us here.

Both of these are on Windows 7:
The HH2002 demo runs fine, and acknowledges the controller, but only playing in XP Service Pack 3 compatibility.

The HH2003 runs fine, but for some reason only works well with the controller on Windows 2000 compatibilty. Which is bizarre considering it's one year newer than 2002. No idea what that's about.

Now, is 2002 supposed to be choppy when it goes to the outfield High camera and when batting or pitching from the Pitcher camera? Is that just the way the game is? Or is there a setting that smoothes that out?

5 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Ok, another update only because I can't be the only person who's ever gonna come across this issue and my online searches for the past four days are proof that NOBODY else is talking about this online but us here.

Both of these are on Windows 7:
The HH2002 demo runs fine, and acknowledges the controller, but only playing in XP Service Pack 3 compatibility.

The HH2003 runs fine, but for some reason only works well with the controller on Windows 2000 compatibilty. Which is bizarre considering it's one year newer than 2002. No idea what that's about.

Now, is 2002 supposed to be choppy when it goes to the outfield High camera and when batting or pitching from the Pitcher camera? Is that just the way the game is? Or is there a setting that smoothes that out?

https://www.fileplanet.com/60080/60000/fileinfo/High-Heat-2002-Patch

Archived