Toning down overall offensive team performance

Creaghorn

Hi,

I have a question. I'm playing MVP05 with a well balanced MVP level with the latest rosters. Tank you for the great efford.

What I'm noticing though is that offensive team numbers are way too high. When playing against computer all is fine. You win, you lose, sometimes low scoring, sometimes blowouts etc. Good mixture of k's and bb's etc. So actually as realistic as it gets and no problem. But simulated games are way too high regarding offensive stats. After playing through a complete season, or when simulating a season, just to check how the overall stats turn out, or checking how the other teams do, there are always at least half a dozen teams with 300ish homeruns.  Team batting average on most teams is between .280ish and .320ish. Team ERA's are mostly at least 4.5ish. Those categories are way too high. Maybe because the game was designed in midst of the roid era, where an ERA of 4.50 was considered normal. Leader in K's rarely goes beyond 230 or so K's. In short, offense is way too good. Not when playing though, only the stats the teams pile together in games which you don't see.

Is there a way to tone done the offense, making pitching more dominant again? Playing with sliders only affects your game vs. pc. so that doesn't work.

One way might be to edit every and each player and make their offensive categories worse by at least 10 points, but that's probably not the way to go.

One other thing as a sidenote. Is there a way to get rid of the doubleplay-killing double-pump, which the SS does so often and which so often spoils a routine DP? Which in real never ever happens, and which probably was implemented only because once in a decade Omar Vizquel did that. Ingame the SS wouldn't do that if throwing with max speed to 1st of course, but i wouldn't want to throw every routine DP with max arm, causing unnecessary errors, only to avoid this ridiculous double pump.

Thank you all and cheers

Creaghorn

Finding balance between playing and simming the game is vitually impossible. I believe the new rosters are tailored for playability.

For instance, pitcher control and relief pitcher stamina on the new rosters are considerably lower than those on stock rosters, which suits playability best. But the game wasn't designed as such, so the CPU might leave its pitchers on the mound too long resulting in more HR.

That might be a factor.

But on the flip side, the game is buggy in its own way. I was playing a game where the opposing pitcher had a 27 stamina rating, and he tossed over 100 pitches, well after his stamina had reached 0. Many things are hard coded in this game and cannot be changed.

Yes, that's a possibility, although I'm not sure if playing against computer, and the stats computerteams pile up in the background when playing against each other, has any connection. I' tried a simulated season without chemistry effect as well but more or less same results. Also tried some sliders with cpu pitchers having 50 control etc. to see if that has any effect. e.G. Red Sox are hitting as a team way over .300 at the end of the season, with 300+ HR's etc. Some other teams too. Houston etc. Good teams to be good is fine of course. But powerhitting teams still shouldn't have more than 250 HR (this year was an alltime record year for the yanks with 265 HR's IIRC), and good hitting teams still should have a batting average at .270 or less. It's usually only some individual players reaching .300 and piling up power numbers.

Maybe the level of the coaches are set too high? Or better said, what to do to, to cut down offensive numbers about 25-30%. Pitchers then would have more K's, lower batting average against etc. without compromiszing the player vs. cpu gameplay.

A very low chemistry might work, if possible to make it stay very low, but otoh it would also mean more errors, more bad pitching performances etc. So basically I'm clueless what might work.

Thanks you both for the answer and clarifying. Makes completely sense.

What would be the way to go, if I would still like to get more accurate cpu vs cpu stats. When playing against cpu i might adjust some cpu sliders etc. and test a bit, to find the sweet spot.

Cheers

I think I've found the description regarding mpvedit and changing values to -33 etc. so I will try that.

So questions if I may. Are those values also for completely simulated games, I mean those games you don't watch but only happen among themselves in the background, or is it only when watching cpu vs cpu?

In the description you say, changing Op to percent. I can see some symbols in the dropdown, but no percentage symbol. Am I doing something wrong?

I might do all teams besides my own, since I play all season games one after another. And when plying against cpu i might raise their hitting values in the slider settings. That might work.

If I change MLB only, then it might happen that some minor leaguers have actually better values, so after some time the cpu mlb players can get replaced by minor leaguers?

I have found also settings for hit by pitch and I think foul balls. I might increase those several notches as well, since IMO there are too few hit by pitches and foulballs. Would that have an effect when playing human against cpu? To get hit more often etc.

Sorry for those many questions. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

If you do only MLB, then yes, some minor leaguers will be better.  The game might also bringup some minor league pitchers based on stamina alone.  Again, hard coded.  

Alternately, if you do all teams for global editing, it can double edit those guys on the rookies teams because they are really not separate, just mirrors of the same guys on their respective teams.  It's a pain in the ass.

Too few foul balls have plagued this game and no one has seemed to find anything you can do.  Some of the questions you're asking are simply trial and error.  See what you find and then you can tell us.

Ok, so now I have tried some things, and so far I'm quite satisfied with the results.

- First of all I have toned down r/l contact and power -33% as Gordo explained in this other post a while ago for ML only. That's how I avoided Allstars etc. to get double edited.

- Then I went to my team I play with and fixed their values back again, to the values they had before.

- Then I toned down for all minor league levels r/l contact and power -50%, to avoid Major League players getting replaced.

- Then I reduced all pitchers stamina of all minor league levels -50% to avoid Major Legaue pitchers getting replaced. (Not necessary probably, but I like to have real rosters, not what cpu things is best)

- Then I went through all AAA teams and fixed the values only of those pitchers and batters back again somewhat, who are seeing some Major League time in real. Clint Frazier etc.

- Then I boosted te contact and power sliders for CPU apropriately. So When I'm playing against CPU, The feel and difficulty is about the same as before. But CPU vs CPU stats are much more realistic.

So far I'm really satisfied with the results. I only hope that CPU still won't replace Major League players with some odd minor leaguers, even though their values are reduced.

Archived