Proposal: Tweaking Existing Cyberfaces

Gordo

Since time is marching on and the MVP cyberface production has dropped off with the exiting of Jed and Co. (understandably so ..... making cyberfaces may be the hardest mod to produce),  I would like to see the unwritten rule of not touching someone else submission from an early time loosened up.  After all, we're, number one, talking about some modders who don't come around here any longer and, number two, we're talking about cyberfaces that were good for its time when released, but are in great need of updating.

In that vein, when I started on my rosters venture, I initially built it off an existing set.  I just simply brought in piece by piece over time, ways that I saw the rosters should be formulated and tweaked.  But I didn't enter every single name of every single player.  That would have been foolish as highly competent bases were already there.

I don't see any harm in taking an existing cyberface, like an Andrew Miller for example, who has a clean shaven, younger face in his MVP cyberface latest edition, and updating it to capture the facial hair and any other subtle tweaks to make it look more realistic and up to date. 

453192.jpg.c650f12368fd04b9360b092d8064521a.jpg  Capture.PNG.eb1d94775fd69639a9db34caaa2ff327.PNG

I think we've been too restrictive on treating these older submissions like they are sacred.  Let's not forget that we're using the likeness of a player's image to begin with and he never gave us permission to do that.  Hell, if I can figure it out, I'd do this myself and still may.  I just don't want to see the main core of this community go into an uproar if this is done.  Sure, don't touch the ones of the guys who are still clearly around here, unless you ask permission as a courtesy, but let's see if we can continue to breath life into this game by this enhancement.

Opinions?

The rule has always been that if you wanted to mod someone else’s work that you asked the original modder for permission and then credited them when the new mod was posted. Crediting them is as simple as stating that the new mod is based upon the original modder’s work. 

In in the event that the original modded was no longer around and could not be contacted, simply giving them credit was good enough. 

Based upon this criteria, I see no  problem updating older cyberfaces or any other existing mods. 

I don't see an issue with crediting the modder that made it. But the reality is that a lot of them don't even know who made them. I've seen many of my faces modded here and on other sites without any credit and found that they didn't know I made them.

Archived