Newb with Face and Portrait questions

nyrangerslmb

Sorry if this has been asked before, what is the difference between a face and portrait file? Do you have to install both? I update rosters at least yearly but as time goes on player images don't match the team or they don't exist.  Which face or portrait packs are best to use with roster updates. I'm currently using MVP 15 mod and Gordo's EOS roster. Thanks in advance for any insight and assistance.

A portrait is the picture that shows up in the overlay at the bottom of the screen when the player comes up to bat.  Typically, it is a head shot of the player wearing his cap.  A face file contains the cyberface that shows up on the player in the game.  You can install one or the other or both.  It doesn't matter.  What DOES matter is  if the roster references a portrait or cyberface that you don't have installed.  If a portrait is missing, the game will run but the portrait will not appear in the overlay.  Just a blank silhouette  will appear.  If a cyberface is missing, however, the game will crash.

It's hard to find face or portrait packs any more.  If you look at the downloads, you will typically see faces or portraits released individually or perhaps a handful of them in a single mod.  Sometimes, you will find portrait packs released for an entire team, however, those don't typically appear until just before (or after) the season starts when team rosters have been finalized.

Hope this helps.

In the rosters, a player has a portrait ID (which should also be the audio ID as well, I believe) assigned.  The portrait maker will utilize a certain number for that portrait to show up with that certain player.  That is why we have an official list.  The same goes for the cyber (3D) face, when that face is made by a designer.

Keep in mind, some cyberface makers in the past took it upon themselves to assign their own cyber face number that is typically different than what is on the official list (see that thread for a spreadsheet on numbers assigned).  They simply didn't want to wait or came up with their own system, which I always thought was weird.  Regardless, since the cyberface contains 3 main files to help show that face in game, you can always consult the official ID list for that give cyberface no., and then change the 3 files contained within a cyberface zip file to that official ID no. if needed.  I've had to do this many, many times to get the face to show properly in game.

Basically it's all about numbers matching up so the game knows to assign the portrait and/or cyberface properly.

Gentlemen thanks for the clarification. If I'm understanding correctly, updating a roster is simple enough. Updating faces and portraits, on the other hand, can be a tedious and complicated process which if done incorrectly can lead to crashing.  To me anyway almost sounds like it's better to deal with wrong faces, uniforms, blank image etc. 

It depends on what type of updating you're doing to a roster.   I can assure you with the updating that I do it can be quite tedious in terms of the various attributes.  

Cyberfaces seem more of an art and a learning curve in terms of getting them to be more realistic.  Jed (who used to do MVP, but is now doing 2K faces) would be the best to ask.

Portraits are a matter of finding the right source for those portraits.  Then if you want them to show up with a transparency, that takes a little doing, but once you get it, it seems like it can be a pattern to then follow.

• 1 month later...

After reading and researching a little more, how do you know what faces and portraits will be compatible with a roster? Since the rosters done by you, Gordo, are the most popular and used, are faces and portraits made for those rosters? Or is it a matter of luck of the draw?

I strive to always use the official ID (we have a thread about that and the ID assigner keeps up with it via an Excel chart which he posts from time to time.)   The latest total conversion mod to have matching faces and roster is gong to be 2015 (unless you go with the MVP Caribe one.  MVP Caribe doesn't (or shouldn't) use my rosters and I'm not even sure they use the official ID list).  If 2015 works, then you would download and install and cyberfaces after that point (that you want) to go with the most recent rosters.  I think there was one (Max Kepler if I remember correctly) that made my game crash.

I'm going to PM you to explain more.

Archived