Random crash occurring

BallFour

Hey all. I'm having an issue with my Columbus Clippers team in MVP 1998. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing to cause this, but I've got no answers, so I'm turning to you all for help. Working with Windows XP.

Issue: Crash after first ball is put in play.

Attempted Solutions:

• Tested every cyberface on the team. I was able to open up every cyberface in the Create/Edit menu without crashing
  • Substituted all players with cyberfaces to produce a fully generic face team.
  • Changed stadiums
  • Replaced a team confirmed to work with the team I'm having issues with. Crash persisted.
  • Changed to default uniforms.
  • Tried to import a similar from a previously working save. Crash persisted.
  • Confirmed that portraits are compressed.

At this point, the only thing I can guess is something wrong with the face/portrait ID. I have no flippin' clue. I can send along the .met file from MVPEdit if anyone wants to take a peek.

Thanks in advance, all.

-B4

UPDATE: I just deleted all of the players from the team and have replaced all that I could from different saves. So basically, the folks that were around in 2005 and Luis Sojo, whom I was able to find on another team in the current .mbe I'm working with.

GOOD NEWS! The team works and isn't freezing.

Bad news, the team is populated by a bunch of Player A's. I'm going to have to go through each player one by one to see which one is causing the freeze if any. Just tested all the players with cyberfaces and the faces were definitely not the issue, since I'm using the same ones as I was. Weirdness all around.

Alrighty, the problem's been solved. The solution was just deleting out every player and then re-creating them with the same photos and stats. My guess is that a player ID in the roster.dat file got corrupted somewhere and was causing the crash. Problem is solved now, though.

When I would do the 2012/2013/2015 mods with full minor leagues, I'd have to go through a process of exporting every single team and then re-importing every single team. I'd always do this when I was otherwise done with the roster. To this day, I have no explanation for what was wrong, I just know I would get crashes unless I did this.

One of the main things I can tell you that is a pain in the ass about rosters is that if you MOVE the SP1 player to another team, you'll cause a corruption for that team in that it will take up a phantom slot.  You have to replace the player in that slot from the same team and then move the player to wherever you want.  I'm not saying this is what caused this, but food for thought.

2 hours ago, Gordo said:

One of the main things I can tell you that is a pain in the ass about rosters is that if you MOVE the SP1 player to another team, you'll cause a corruption for that team in that it will take up a phantom slot.  You have to replace the player in that slot from the same team and then move the player to wherever you want.  I'm not saying this is what caused this, but food for thought.

There's a very good possibility that was the issue. In my mod, I've got Orlando Hernandez as the SP1 for Columbus, but I also put him on the World Series Yankees roster (which is replacing the MVP Heroes). So by doing that, it might have screwed everything up.

Final note, just for posterity and anyone else who might be searching the forums for this issue.

Solution:

• Test Gordo's suggestion with the SP1 moved to another team. If problem persists....
  • Delete players from roster
  • Recreate "Player A"s in MVPEdit
  • Rebuild rosters with as many as you can from other working files. (i.e.: pulling from default rosters)

Archived