Game crashes in 1934 and 1939 TC mods

Natejs

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a jam here. So I just bought a Dell laptop with Windows XP SP3 and I'm basically just dedicating it to playing MVP 05 and its various mods. I installed my CD-rom of the game and started installing the TC mods that I wanted. Some TC mods that I installed were - 1927, 1951, 1956,  negro leagues, TC Phase 10, even 1979 - they were all working great. Then I got to the 1934 and 1939 mods. They load up fine, although while using either of these mods, the game crashes after about 3-5 minutes of being in the game menus or it'll crash as soon as I confirm my game difficulty to start an exhibition game. It takes me back to my desktop and displays an error message telling me that mvp2005.exe has stopped working - I attached a picture of the message. If you look at the message, it doesn't provide any info about the problem, just gives me a hyperlink that leads me to this "error report". A file named a900_appcompat.txt is the only thing included on the "error report". Perhaps this file is what's causing the game to crash? Although when I search for that file on my computer nothing shows up, and this is where I'm stumped.

I tried uninstalling MVP 05 and all of the mods, then reinstalling again. After reinstalling a clean version, I decided to download the 1939 mod first to see if anything changed - and I got the same issue as before. I've played TC mods in the past on a different computer with the same CD-rom and they worked great, however this is my first time trying the 1934 and 1939 mods so I'm not sure if the issue is with the computer I just bought or what. I'm not the best at problem solving when it comes to mods so uninstalling and reinstalling was pretty much all I could think of. I tried searching for the answer in some threads on here and I found a couple with slightly similar problems to me, although not the exact same so they weren't much help. 

Anyways, I hope I'm being specific enough about my issue and hopefully someone might know of a way to resolve this.

Thanks,

Nate

IMG_3744.JPG

I do all of my development work and testing of all of the TC mods on a 10 year-old Windows XP SP3  laptop and have never had any problems running any of these mods, including TC1934 and TC1939.  I will try running those mods again to see if I can come up with any reasons why you may be having issues.

Make sure when u r loading up another mod, u revert back to the vanilla mvp 05 data folder before u mix the tc mod with it. That's the only way I could see that the mod would crash. Always back up the stock game

Not sure if that's what's up with urs, but hope it helps.

Jim, thanks a lot for taking a look for me. The only settings I've tweaked with this laptop are a couple of options in the Security Center on the control panel. I turned off virus protection and automatic updates...although I don't think this would affect the game.

nmoore, I appreciate the suggestion but I always keep a folder with the vanilla mvp files in it for all my mods and stuff so I'm thinking that's not my issue. 

Alright so after a little experimentation, the 1951 TC mod can be added to the list of mods that are crashing on me. Although this one's different from the 1934 and 1939 ones. In the 51 mod I was able to start a dynasty with the Dodgers and play a full first game before it crashed while loading me back into dynasty mode. Something else I noticed - after exiting out of a mod and going back to desktop, I'm usually asked by this Firewall program if it wants me to block or unblock MVP2005 and I've always chosen unblock. This message has only come up from mods that have been working properly though. If I try to exit out of the 1934, 1939, or 1951 mods manually (before it can crash) then I'm not prompted with this message to block or unblock the game. Found this kinda odd and figured it wasn't just a coincidence, although I still don't really know what to do with this information but hopefully someone out there might. Thanks.

I wish I knew of a viable solution for your issues with trying to get these mods working.  I know when Jim(Jim825) and I create these mods, they are based on pre-existing and working mods.  The path to the 1930s Total Classic mods was: I used the 1946 as a base for TC 1941, I used TC 1941 to make TC 1934 and used TC 1934 to make TC 1939.  I usually make the uniforms, update stadiums, and create the menu and loading screens as my contributions while Jim creates the rosters, portraits, and adjusts ratings accordingly.  I really don't know why those mods would be crashing for you since Jim and I beta test the mods on different systems, platforms, and operating systems.  When I work on material one team at a time, I will usually play a 3-5 inning of a game to test things as I go along.  I know Jim extensively tests full season sims once rosters are done and without crashing.  I know Jim and I did not create the Total Classics 1951 mod but over the last 6-7 years (on Win XP and Windows 7), I've literally played 2 different seasons with the Dodgers and Yankees and made it through each 1951 season without any crashes.

The "a900_appcompat.txt" file error sounds suspicious so you might want to run extensive malware checks throughout your system .  Also, make sure your video card drivers are up to date and that your video resolution is setup properly as well. For the past 4-5 years I have used the Nt Core 4GB patch applied to the mvp2005.EXE file and I literally get zero crashes with any of the dozens of MVP Baseball games and mods.  I strongly recommend to give it a try to see if that doesn't allow you to play those mods without crashing.  Make sure to backup your original MVP2005.EXE file.   NT Core 4GB Patch

5 hours ago, dennisjames71 said:

I wish I knew of a viable solution for your issues with trying to get these mods working.  I know when Jim(Jim825) and I create these mods, they are based on pre-existing and working mods.  The path to the 1930s Total Classic mods was: I used the 1946 as a base for TC 1941, I used TC 1941 to make TC 1934 and used TC 1934 to make TC 1939.  I usually make the uniforms, update stadiums, and create the menu and loading screens as my contributions while Jim creates the rosters, portraits, and adjusts ratings accordingly.  I really don't know why those mods would be crashing for you since Jim and I beta test the mods on different systems, platforms, and operating systems.  When I work on material one team at a time, I will usually play a 3-5 inning of a game to test things as I go along.  I know Jim extensively tests full season sims once rosters are done and without crashing.  I know Jim and I did not create the Total Classics 1951 mod but over the last 6-7 years (on Win XP and Windows 7), I've literally played 2 different seasons with the Dodgers and Yankees and made it through each 1951 season without any crashes.

The "a900_appcompat.txt" file error sounds suspicious so you might want to run extensive malware checks throughout your system .  Also, make sure your video card drivers are up to date and that your video resolution is setup properly as well. For the past 4-5 years I have used the Nt Core 4GB patch applied to the mvp2005.EXE file and I literally get zero crashes with any of the dozens of MVP Baseball games and mods.  I strongly recommend to give it a try to see if that doesn't allow you to play those mods without crashing.  Make sure to backup your original MVP2005.EXE file.   NT Core 4GB Patch

As Dennis said, when we create these classic mods, we typically use existing mods that we have already created.  It saves us time because we only have to modify things that have changed and we can reuse things that are already working.  For example, if we already have a models.big that contains classic cyberfaces, why take the default MVP2005 models.big and reinstall all of those cyberfaces?  The same goes for the Legends from the Booth audio that we use.  This also saves us time from a stability point of view.  When we start with a known good base, we can be sure that if there are problems, we know to look at those new pieces that we have added.

Dennis and I both do a lot of testing before releasing the mods.  I sim countless dynasty seasons to make sure that there are no crashes and also to try to get results that match or are very close to the actual results from the season we are creating -- for example, the final standings, World Series matchups, statistical leaders for home runs, RBIs, stolen bases, pitcher strikeout totals, wins, etc.  Dennis plays multiple games with the teams and I also play multiple games with every team so that I can check every uniform, every player audio, batter walkup music, etc.  Needless to say, we don't rush out these mods.

Dennis - Actually, I did create TC1951 and it was based upon the TC1956 mod I created.  This was before we started collaborating on mods, but If you look at the revision history, you will also see that both of these mods, as well as some others I did on my own, were later updated with uniforms you created.  :)

As for that appcompat.txt file, it is simply a reporting file used when uploading error reports to Microsoft.  When a crash occurs and Windows displays the message asking you if you would like to report this error to Microsoft, appcompat.txt is a file that is uploaded if you say yes.  The file contains information about the problem.

8 hours ago, dennisjames71 said:

Some good news - after downloading that 4GB patch and restarting my computer the game was still crashing. However, I decided to try running the '39 mod in compatibility mode with Windows 2000 and that seems to have fixed the crashing issue for whatever reason. I'll get back to you guys if something changes. Anyways, thank you guys so much for the help I really appreciate it! Keep up the good work!

7 hours ago, nmoore81 said:

Glad to hear u keep the vanilla folder. Was just throwing it out there. Also fyi and I've heard people talk about it before on here, Tc 1951 always freezes on Braves field. 1948s Braves field does not though 

I don't know what you're talking about. I've been playing the 1951 mod since it was uploaded and I have never had the game freeze while playing in Braves Field. Not once.

5 hours ago, nmoore81 said:

Really. Hey good man. I swear I've seen other posts about it in the past though 

I’m not denying that some people experienced crashes, however, making the statement that “it always crashes” is inaccurate. 1951 Braves Field is rather graphics intensive, but so are other stadiums, and it’s not the only one that some have had crash on them. 

Archived