Best slider settings?

HaloChillie

If you search the forums, you will find plenty of discussions on sliders, mainly within the first year of the game coming out.  Also, if you check the Downloads section, you will find many different sets of sliders.  Sliders are a very personal thing.  What works for me and gives me good results may not work for you.  I have some slider sets in the Downloads section where I combined settings that others had suggested.  This includes pitch meter changes, camera angle changes, etc.  There are plenty of other slider sets available as well.

The only real way to find out what works for you is to try different ones and tweak them, if necessary, to get the game experience that is best for you.  Also, you can't just slider settings on just playing one game.  You need to play multiple games to get a true feel for them.

There are sometimes games that will let you control certain physics based things with sliders, player speeds, etc and those can be seen as universal and I believe you can argue they should be at a specific setting. But difficulty based ones really are personal as Jim said. I know people who instantly jump to the most difficult level in any sports game which I think is mental. But that's me. I also think that maybe less than a handful of times in my life have I seen a game that actually programs different gameplay elements for each difficulty setting. 9/10 times, each difficulty setting is just a different preset combination of the sliders. People will tell you to start the sliders on this level and THEN make adjustments... I've done tests with several games and that's rarely ever the case, if ever.

This is what I tell people all the time: play the game, get it to a point where it's fun without being stupidly easy and where it's challenging without being infuriatingly difficult. Keeping in mind that in a well designed game, AI will play differently from time to time and from opponent to opponent. But generally get a feel for the mechanics, if not the score.

Archived